2 of 3
21st Century
Posted: 09 July 2014 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3213
Joined  2011-08-15

What I’ve found on most sites is that the inventions mentioned as the “top ten” usually involve inventions in or improvements of communication and transportation, e.g. The Tesla automobile, the segue or Segway as some call it (cool device), and my favorite of favorites, the IPad. I’m using it now and wouldn’t be without it. Then of course this very site. And Facebook has changed the World of communication and linked everyone who wants to, I don’t BTW, to millions of people world wide.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 July 2014 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Cliche, outmoded, whatever you want to call it…I wish I was permanently living in the 70s or early 80s.
I remember when we didn’t have any of this stuff and life was fine.
The World worked perfectly with payphones and phones sitting on the kitchen counter.
The DMV or the Doctor’s office worked perfectly with file cabinets and Rolodexes.

Now, I enter a common area or some place and every single person has their nose in their smart phone oblivious of each other, thumbs a-twitter.
It’s like the Night of the Living Dead. To me it is a loss.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 09 July 2014 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I have to agree with Vy.  The outside world, including people they are with, seems to have disappeared for the huge number of people, especially those between two and thirty who are living inside their Ipads or similar.

That was an impressive list for the first fourteen years of the twentieth century, Lois.  However, if you had been back there then and asked, say in the newspaper, for a list of important inventions since the beginning of the century, how many of these do you think would have been included?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 09 July 2014 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Cliche, outmoded, whatever you want to call it…I wish I was permanently living in the 70s or early 80s.
The World worked perfectly with payphones and phones sitting on the kitchen counter.
The DMV or the Doctor’s office worked perfectly with file cabinets and Rolodexes.

No thanks Vy, been there, done that and was working my ass off trying to raise our kids. It was a busy time for me, we had a 13 inch screen TV, living in a rented house built in 1888, had one phone, one car (in constant need of repair) and had to save pennies to take the kids to the movies. I worked two jobs five days a week to make ends meet, smoked heavily and no money for vacations. So no you can keep the 70’s and 80’s. Although I was introduced to Sagan via Cosmos and bought his books. That was a treat. So I’ll keep my IPad and my cell phone thank you.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 July 2014 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  709
Joined  2014-06-20
Occam. - 09 July 2014 08:34 AM

I have to agree with Vy.  The outside world, including people they are with, seems to have disappeared for the huge number of people, especially those between two and thirty who are living inside their Ipads or similar.

That was an impressive list for the first fourteen years of the twentieth century, Lois.  However, if you had been back there then and asked, say in the newspaper, for a list of important inventions since the beginning of the century, how many of these do you think would have been included?

Occam

I can see many that would be included even though quite a few would not be available to most people for at least another decade. Radios and automobiles would top the list—and all kinds of labor saving items, such as the bottling machine, the escalator and the vaccuum cleaner.

Posted: 09 July 2014 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Thevillageatheist - 09 July 2014 10:53 AM

No thanks Vy, been there, done that and was working my ass off trying to raise our kids. It was a busy time for me, we had a 13 inch screen TV, living in a rented house built in 1888, had one phone, one car (in constant need of repair) and had to save pennies to take the kids to the movies. I worked two jobs five days a week to make ends meet, smoked heavily and no money for vacations. So no you can keep the 70’s and 80’s. Although I was introduced to Sagan via Cosmos and bought his books. That was a treat. So I’ll keep my IPad and my cell phone thank you.

Cap’t Jack

It made you who you are today VA. I get it. Cell phones are an incredible invention and are incredibly useful. So is the internet.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 09 July 2014 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2012-02-02
LoisL - 08 July 2014 09:57 PM

All that is true, but most of the things you cite happened in the 20th Century. Medical advances may well become more well known later in the century.

Que?
Higgs-Boson discovered 2012.

SpaceShipOne claims the X-Prize in October 2004.

Sub $1,000 DNA sequencing thumbdrive 2011.

Curiosity, a big ass rover, landed on Mars in 2012.

New Horizons probe launched towards Pluto in 2006.

Chris Hadfield did his cover of A Space Oddity in 2013.

Felix Baumgartner’s space dive was in 2012.

Some of things have their origins in the 20th Century (Rutan started construction of SpaceShipOne in the late ‘90s), but some of the items on your list can trace their origins back to the 19th Century (and in the case of the automobile, the 18th Century), so I don’t think its out of line to include the things that I did.  All of that was just off the top of my head, were I to be systematic about it, I’m sure I could come up with many more things.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 09 July 2014 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2012-02-02
Thevillageatheist - 09 July 2014 10:53 AM

Cap’t Jack

Amen.  I don’t get the nostalgia for the pre-internet days.  I might wish that we were still pushing for the Moon like we were in the glory days of Apollo, but that doesn’t mean I want to be living in the ‘60s.

As for devices causing people to turn away from one another, allow me to submit the following exhibits.

9.Job+seekers,+men+standing+in+front+of+the+Chicago+Daily+News+building,+looking+at+newspapers.jpg

1955-train-006.jpg

kubrick-subway-newspapers.jpg

11.Crowd+of+unemployed+men+reading+newspapers,+standing+on+the+sidewalk+in+front+of+the+Chicago+Daily+News+building,+boy+in+the+foreground.jpg

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

Posted: 09 July 2014 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Brilliant CT! I couldn’t agree more! I had the opportunity to live in the mid 19th Century (sort of) and am damn glad I actually live in the 21st. BTW, how the hell do you post pictures on this forum?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 July 2014 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4850
Joined  2007-10-05
Thevillageatheist - 09 July 2014 03:57 PM

Brilliant CT! I couldn’t agree more! I had the opportunity to live in the mid 19th Century (sort of) and am damn glad I actually live in the 21st. BTW, how the hell do you post pictures on this forum?

Cap’t Jack

Make ‘em tiny.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 09 July 2014 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  2424
Joined  2007-07-05

Great one CT!

I wouldn’t buy a tablet bigger than 7” since it won’t fit in a pocket.

But tablets can do so much more than newspapers.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cyandroid.piano&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5jeWFuZHJvaWQucGlhbm8iXQ..

I find it strange we don’t hear about music training via tablets a lot more.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 09 July 2014 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2012-02-02

Cap’t Jack

Like this: {img}nosepickersinternational.com/going4thegold.jpg{/img}  Only using “[” and “]” instead of “{” and “}”.

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2014 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  709
Joined  2014-06-20
Coldheart Tucker - 09 July 2014 02:49 PM
LoisL - 08 July 2014 09:57 PM

All that is true, but most of the things you cite happened in the 20th Century. Medical advances may well become more well known later in the century.

Que?
Higgs-Boson discovered 2012.

SpaceShipOne claims the X-Prize in October 2004.

Sub $1,000 DNA sequencing thumbdrive 2011.

Curiosity, a big ass rover, landed on Mars in 2012.

New Horizons probe launched towards Pluto in 2006.

Chris Hadfield did his cover of A Space Oddity in 2013.

Felix Baumgartner’s space dive was in 2012.

Some of things have their origins in the 20th Century (Rutan started construction of SpaceShipOne in the late ‘90s), but some of the items on your list can trace their origins back to the 19th Century (and in the case of the automobile, the 18th Century), so I don’t think its out of line to include the things that I did.  All of that was just off the top of my head, were I to be systematic about it, I’m sure I could come up with many more things.

I wasn’t objecting to your list, just trying to put it into perspective.

Posted: 10 July 2014 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m not sure if this was a problem, but just to clarify, the century number is one more than the yearly dates.  Examples:  The eighteenth century was the 1700s, not the 1800s.  The nineteenth century was the 1800s not the 1900s.  None of us lived in the 19th century unless we are at least 114 years old.  If the earliest automobiles occurred in the 18th century, that would mean they would have been available about the time the U.S.A. was formed (the 1700s).  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 10 July 2014 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Cap’t Jack

Like this: {img}nosepickersinternational.com/going4thegold.jpg{/img}  Only using “[” and “]” instead of “{” and “}”.

Thanks CT, I’ll try it out. I did try once but couldn’t get it to fit on the forum post.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

2 of 3

‹‹ Forum Pleasure and Pain      Why Gorbachev? ››