3 of 3
21st Century
Posted: 10 July 2014 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3203
Joined  2011-08-15

I’m not sure if this was a problem, but just to clarify, the century number is one more than the yearly dates.  Examples:  The eighteenth century was the 1700s, not the 1800s.  The nineteenth century was the 1800s not the 1900s.  None of us lived in the 19th century unless we are at least 114 years old.  If the earliest automobiles occurred in the 18th century, that would mean they would have been available about the time the U.S.A. was formed (the 1700s). 

Not trying to be facetious but is there anyone here who doesn’t know this?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 July 2014 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

TVA, while the posters may have been joking or may had information they didn’t add, the following were a bit odd, so that’s why I pointed out the system.

Post #22 by CT:

some of the items on your list can trace their origins back to the 19th Century (and in the case of the automobile, the 18th Century)

Post #24 by TVA:

I had the opportunity to live in the mid 19th Century (sort of)

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 10 July 2014 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2012-02-02

Cuganot’s steam wagon, which was the forerunner of the automobile was invented in the 1700s. It didn’t get followed up on until the 1800s, when the British built their first steam powered cars, but because of restrictive laws which were quickly passed, the British steam cars became locomotives, and gasoline powered cars would have to wait until the end of the 19th Century to appear.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 10 July 2014 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  659
Joined  2014-06-20
Coldheart Tucker - 10 July 2014 02:17 PM

Cuganot’s steam wagon, which was the forerunner of the automobile was invented in the 1700s. It didn’t get followed up on until the 1800s, when the British built their first steam powered cars, but because of restrictive laws which were quickly passed, the British steam cars became locomotives, and gasoline powered cars would have to wait until the end of the 19th Century to appear.

The credit goes to the person(s) by whom an invention was perfected and made available to the general public, the era it happened in and when the general public embraced it. It doesn’t matter what might have stopped it from having been made available earlier.

Lois

[ Edited: 18 July 2014 10:42 PM by LoisL ]

Posted: 10 July 2014 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2012-02-02
LoisL - 10 July 2014 04:08 PM

The credit goes to the person(s) by whom an invention was perfected and made available to the general public, the era it happened in and when the general public enbraced it. It doesn’t matter what might have stopped it from having been made available earlier.

Lois

Except that when historians talk about the birth of the automobile they always mention Cugnot as being the first to conceive of such a vehicle. 
Its all a matter of opinion.

Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot (26 February 1725 – 2 October 1804) was a French inventor. He is known to have built the first working self-propelled mechanical vehicle, the world’s first automobile. This claim is disputed by some sources, however, which suggest that Ferdinand Verbiest, as a member of a Jesuit mission in China, may have been the first to build, around 1672, a steam-powered vehicle but that was too small to carry a driver or passengers.[1

Steam road vehicles were popular until they were legislated out of existence.

More commercially successful for a time than Trevithick’s carriage were the steam carriage services operated in England in the 1830s, principally by Walter Hancock and associates of Sir Goldsworthy Gurney, among others and in Scotland by John Scott Russell. However, the heavy road tolls imposed by the Turnpike Acts discouraged steam road vehicles and for a short time allowed the continued monopoly of horse traction until railway trunk routes became established in the 1840s and ‘50s.

By your logic, Elon Musk is the inventor of the electric car, since they didn’t capture the public imagination until after Tesla began building cars, even though folks have been selling them off and on since the 1890s.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 10 July 2014 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

TVA, while the posters may have been joking or may had information they didn’t add, the following were a bit odd, so that’s why I pointed out the system.

Post #22 by CT:

some of the items on your list can trace their origins back to the 19th Century (and in the case of the automobile, the 18th Century)

Post #24 by TVA:

I had the opportunity to live in the mid 19th Century (sort of)

Occam

I knew somebody would cock an eyebrow after reading my post! I was a reenactor and a living historian for a time (The Civil War period, hence the 19th Century. That’s why I posted “sort of”) and experienced the conditions of that period minus the terror, disease and blood. Wearing wool in the Summer though was enough to long for an air conditioned room. As to CT’s post, I don’t know. What about it CT? Steam cars perhaps? They were toying with the idea then.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 July 2014 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Oops, just went back and read your post CT.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 July 2014 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Coldheart Tucker - 10 July 2014 04:40 PM
LoisL - 10 July 2014 04:08 PM

The credit goes to the person(s) by whom an invention was perfected and made available to the general public, the era it happened in and when the general public enbraced it. It doesn’t matter what might have stopped it from having been made available earlier.

Lois

Except that when historians talk about the birth of the automobile they always mention Cugnot as being the first to conceive of such a vehicle. 
Its all a matter of opinion.

Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot (26 February 1725 – 2 October 1804) was a French inventor. He is known to have built the first working self-propelled mechanical vehicle, the world’s first automobile. This claim is disputed by some sources, however, which suggest that Ferdinand Verbiest, as a member of a Jesuit mission in China, may have been the first to build, around 1672, a steam-powered vehicle but that was too small to carry a driver or passengers.[1

Steam road vehicles were popular until they were legislated out of existence.

More commercially successful for a time than Trevithick’s carriage were the steam carriage services operated in England in the 1830s, principally by Walter Hancock and associates of Sir Goldsworthy Gurney, among others and in Scotland by John Scott Russell. However, the heavy road tolls imposed by the Turnpike Acts discouraged steam road vehicles and for a short time allowed the continued monopoly of horse traction until railway trunk routes became established in the 1840s and ‘50s.

By your logic, Elon Musk is the inventor of the electric car, since they didn’t capture the public imagination until after Tesla began building cars, even though folks have been selling them off and on since the 1890s.

The original inventor can be and often is credited for an invention that didn’t take off until later, even after his lifetime. Sometimes the original inventor’s name is unknown to most peope who use the item. It’s kind of a crapshoot.

Does anyone know who invented the typewriter? Hint: it wasn’t Remington or Underwood. It’s a name I’ll bet you and most everyone else have never heard.

[ Edited: 18 July 2014 10:44 PM by LoisL ]

Posted: 11 July 2014 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Does anyone know who invented the typewriter? Hint: it wasn’t Remington or Underwood. It’s a name I’ll bet you amd most everyone else have never heard.

Easy, and I didn’t look it up, Christopher Sholes. Ok, who invented the vacuum cleaner, hint he wasn’t related to a president.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 11 July 2014 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Thevillageatheist - 11 July 2014 02:59 AM

Does anyone know who invented the typewriter? Hint: it wasn’t Remington or Underwood. It’s a name I’ll bet you amd most everyone else have never heard.

Easy, and I didn’t look it up, Christopher Sholes. Ok, who invented the vacuum cleaner, hint he wasn’t related to a president.

Cap’t Jack

You left out his co-inventors, Glidden and Soules. Anyway,nthere are many other contenders. Typewriters were invented simultaneously by several people.

Hubert Cecil Booth is credited with inventing the powered vaccuum cleaner. I guess we’d have to say we’re Boothing when we use a Hoover.  grin

Posted: 17 July 2014 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15
LoisL - 04 July 2014 12:27 AM

Someone asked this question last week. I thought it would be a good topic for discussion. Nobody could think of anything. 

What good has come out of the 21st century so far? 

LL

Shark Bit Plumbing fitting !

One of the greatest DIY and pro advanc(es) in plumbing eeva !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCO_AI_j8M

no this is no a joke, and totally post millennial   cool smile

[ Edited: 28 July 2014 07:37 AM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 17 July 2014 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2014-04-27

Someone asked this question last week. I thought it would be a good topic for discussion. Nobody could think of anything. 

LL

I haven’t read every post so sorry if this has already posted.

3D Printing and the latest Stem Cell Advancements. These will be the foundations for disease cures and damage repairs like we never known before.

Lee

Signature 

Religion is doing good things in fear of bad consequences. Morality is doing good things because they are good things.

Posted: 18 July 2014 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
MzLee - 17 July 2014 05:28 PM

LL

I haven’t read every post so sorry if this has already posted.

3D Printing and the latest Stem Cell Advancements. These will be the foundations for disease cures and damage repairs like we never known before.

Lee

Ok, that’s two, but we’re 14 years into the 21st century.

Lois

Posted: 22 July 2014 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  971
Joined  2005-01-14

LL

I remember as a kid in the 70s reading science fiction stories about futuristic societies based entirely on credit.  That is the characters would use an “identity disc” or something to buy things.  Even then I remember thinking it would be cool, but I took it for granted that such a system would only work if there were a fool proof method of making sure someone else couldn’t steal your disc or just get your number off of it.  I mean, it’s one thing for a pickpocket to steal what cash you happen to have on you, but if he could steal everything you own with just one swoop?  Nobody would be that stupid, I thought.  And here we are in the futuristic world of 2014, and looking at how easy it is to steal identities, I guess I was a pretty naïve kid, wasn’t I?  smile

3 of 3

‹‹ Forum Pleasure and Pain      Why Gorbachev? ››