4 of 4
Intelligence, Knowledge, and Wisdom (oh my!)
Posted: 08 December 2014 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7818
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 08 December 2014 03:50 PM

Of course, I am skeptical, but it seems no less believable than the idea of “dark energy”.

I agree, but consider that whatever “dark energy” is, it must behave in a wavelike manner and must consist of certain frequencies, perhaps an infinite number of wave-frequencies.

Energy is an “expression” of the wave function. A photon travels as a wave but becomes a unit of energy when measured. By that logic the wave function must be the fundamental “medium” from which existence becomes explicate. Bohm called this medium “pure potential” in which “implications” form, which then become expressed (explicate) in reality.

Perhaps this Dark Energy is the unused waveforms (the universal potential) which is not measurable (collapsable as measurable energy) by our current technology. We have a chart of electro-magnetic frequencies (wave forms) from deep infrared to high ultraviolet, but is that chart complete?

As far as I know, we are unable to measure the energy of “virtual particles” able to travel at superluminal speeds. But we know they exist, because occasionally they pop in and out of existence (perhaps slowed down by wave interference) and enter our reality, but invariably have an extremely short life span before disintegrating, because they cannot exist at the luminal speed of our reality.

[ Edited: 08 December 2014 05:21 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 09 May 2016 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-05-09
Occam. - 09 July 2014 10:05 AM

I don’t recall the specifics, but a while ago a psychologist at USC did a statistical analysis (I’m not sure of what) and found there were fourteen distinctly different types of intelligence. 

Many years ago some members of the local Unitarian church asked me to apply to join Mensa.  From what I saw of their behavior and thinking, I decided that Mensa must define ego as intelligence.  These people weren’t very clear thinking but since they had passed some test that Mensa gives they were sure they were brilliant. 

and

I’ve found most Mensa people to be smart but overbearing and annoying.

Gee, I just joined the forums today.  Maybe I’m not welcome as a 25 year member of Mensa. 

To answer a question:
“Mensa’s requirement for membership is a score at or above the 98th percentile on certain standardised IQ or other approved intelligence tests, such as the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scales. The minimum accepted score on the Stanford-Binet is 132, while for the Cattell it is 148.”

Why would someone join Mensa?  I would say for the people, the activities and the publications.  Most cities have chapters where people get together to play board games, go out to eat and do things that other clubs do.  Mensa has a great monthly magazine with interesting articles, book reviews and other features.  There are regional, national and international gathering with top speakers in a wide variety of subjects.  There is a annual Mind Games event where we play, evaluate and rate new games coming on the market.  There are several dozen special interest groups of a diverse mix. 

I haven’t run into many Mensans with huge egos.  If you were trying to categorize Mensans, you might say that a fair number are eccentric in some way.  Some can be socially awkward.  Hey, in school the cheerleaders hung together, the jocks hung together, the “brains” were often left out/excluded.  Mensa is a place to connect with like minded people who “get you”.  As a group, we like to play games, solve puzzles, make puns and eat chocolate.  What’s wrong with that?

Brooks

Posted: 09 May 2016 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14

The post is from 2014 Brooks.
Sadly Occam passed away awhile back.

My Dad is a Mensa member and he is a pain in the ass.

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 09 May 2016 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-05-09

Sorry to hear about Occam.

Maybe he’d be a pain in the ass even if he wasn’t a Mensan. grin

Posted: 09 May 2016 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
BrooksR - 09 May 2016 07:39 AM

Maybe he’d be a pain in the ass even if he wasn’t a Mensan. grin

I think in runs in the family.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 09 May 2016 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14

Both of yuz are right. LOL

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

4 of 4