3 of 3
Male Dominance is Harmful to the Ideals of Atheism/Humanism
Posted: 25 August 2014 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14
MzLee - 08 August 2014 05:27 PM

I have been absent from my atheist community for two years now. I was very active and loved the community I needed so much. When I was drove out I suffered the loss of friends, community and I was so vulnerable by the disassociation that I became depressed and could barely function except to work and give myself basic care.
I am at sea and I still fear the natives on the only land in sight.

MzLee

(Sorry, this issue took so many turns. It’s been churning in my head for some time now and once I started spewing it sort of just all came up. Please just respond to what interests you, if any, and leave the rest as flotsam and jetsam. Thx)

After such a traumatic experience I would think you would be sensitive to these impacts on others…

From the thread entitled(paraphrase):“Can someone recommend any good science documentaries.”

Carl-Sagan - 20 July 2014 10:24 AM
Preferably something recent. I’ve already seen the new cosmos series

thanks in advance

Mz. Lee-I have to say, I think your use of CS name is very off-putting to me.

I thought about not saying anything and ignoring you completely but decided on the direct and honest approach. It’s your right to choose whichever name you want but I find it disrespectful to his memory and all that he gave the world… it is also telling, IMO.

I speak only for myself so there are many here who may still converse with you.

This was from a number of weeks back but I wanted to raise this contrast.
An internet forum avatar and a hokey name. We all have them. Some have Galileo or Copernicus as their avatars. Some use famous composers as names, or cities, or etc..
This poor guy comes along on his 7th-8th post and asks if someone can recommend some good science documentaries.
Perhaps he or she wanted to be a member of the community here. We’ll never know because after this reply from you Mz. Lee, he’s gone.
A hokey internet name like Carl Sagan and a desire to find some science documentaries…that’s all.
I hope the person has more intestinal fortitude than you Mz Lee. I hope this person is able to function after this.
I for one hope he is using the name Carl Sagan still. Whoopie doo!! It’s the internet.

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 26 August 2014 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  4074
Joined  2009-10-21

That is an interesting contrast, something that I see happen quite often in business and friendships. MZLee tells a story of vilification, name calling and intimidation. You reference a post where she expressed her opinion with reason. When someone expresses an opinion, no matter how strongly you disagree with it, you have at two choices (a spectrum of course, this is not a dichotomy); react with anger and accusations OR respond to what was said explaining your difference of opinion or perhaps the fallacy in theirs. There is no way to respond reasonably to name calling, other than to point out that it is unreasonable.

MZ and all of us have the right to ignore others and explain why we’re doing it. You’ve done it to me. I didn’t deny you that right. You can also complain about other’s complaints. But you have people here who are good at making reasonable arguments, you should expect some discussion.

Posted: 26 August 2014 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2138
Joined  2013-06-01

Anyone got a problem with me changing my tag to “God”? tongue laugh

Posted: 26 August 2014 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  4272
Joined  2014-06-20
Advocatus - 13 August 2014 06:58 AM

I just want to say how lucky you are that you even had that much!  I live near a pretty large Southern city and we don’t have an atheist organization or a humanist organization.  Philosophically speaking, all I have to talk to is the people on this forum.  My advice to you is hang on like GRIM DEATH to those few friends you made.  You don’t necessarily need a big fancy organization.  What I wouldn’t do for just a few friends to hang out with from time to time!

Advocatus, have you tried this group?

http://www.google.com/search?q=http://www.meetup.com/CSRANT/&newwindow=1

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 26 August 2014 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

Mzlee, have you tried this group?

http://freeok.org/

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2014 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  483
Joined  2014-03-12
VYAZMA - 25 August 2014 06:51 PM

I have been absent from my atheist community for two years now. I was very active and loved the community I needed so much. When I was drove out I suffered the loss of friends, community and I was so vulnerable by the disassociation that I became depressed and could barely function except to work and give myself basic care.

MzLee

(Sorry, this issue took so many turns. It’s been churning in my head for some time now and once I started spewing it sort of just all came up. Please just respond to what interests you, if any, and leave the rest as flotsam and jetsam. Thx)

After such a traumatic experience I would think you would be sensitive to these impacts on others…

From the thread entitled(paraphrase):“Can someone recommend any good science documentaries.”

thanks in advance

I thought about not saying anything and ignoring you completely but decided on the direct and honest approach. It’s your right to choose whichever name you want but I find it disrespectful to his memory and all that he gave the world… it is also telling, IMO.

An internet forum avatar and a hokey name. We all have them. Some have Galileo or Copernicus as their avatars. Some use famous composers as names, or cities, or etc..
This poor guy comes along on his 7th-8th post and asks if someone can recommend some good science documentaries.
Perhaps he or she wanted to be a member of the community here. We’ll never know because after this reply from you Mz. Lee, he’s gone.
A hokey internet name like Carl Sagan and a desire to find some science documentaries…that’s all.
I hope the person has more intestinal fortitude than you Mz Lee. I hope this person is able to function after this.
I for one hope he is using the name Carl Sagan still. Whoopie doo!! It’s the internet.

You seem to be saying that MzLee leaving her group was the product of a simple and respectful difference of opinion. We don’t know the specifics of that interaction, but we do have the specifics of the interaction of MzLee and pseudo Carl Segan, which does seem to me to have been a simple and respectful difference of opinion. There is no indication that pseudo Carl Segan felt attacked or dominated in any of his posts after that interaction.

Perhaps you have a tendency to feel wronged when the topic of male dominance is introduced?

Signature 

“expectation is the mother of disappointment”

Posted: 26 August 2014 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
MikeYohe - 26 August 2014 07:40 AM

Anyone got a problem with me changing my tag to “God”? tongue laugh

Ok if you drop the cap. smile

LOis

Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2014 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14
Handydan - 26 August 2014 11:37 AM

You seem to be saying that MzLee leaving her group was the product of a simple and respectful difference of opinion. We don’t know the specifics of that interaction,

There is that. But I’ll take her at her word. That’s irrelevant.

but we do have the specifics of the interaction of MzLee and pseudo Carl Segan, which does seem to me to have been a simple and respectful difference of opinion.

Pretty much so except for the last part in which she says…“it’s also telling.”
Telling of what? The guy likes Carl Sagan?
Telling of what?

There is no indication that pseudo Carl Segan felt attacked or dominated in any of his posts after that interaction.

There is an indication. He posted 7-8 times. A new Member posting in a few different threads.
After Mz. Lee’s comments-no more Carl Sagan.
That’s an indication he might have been offended-and rightly so.

Perhaps you have a tendency to feel wronged when the topic of male dominance is introduced?

No Dan.

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 27 August 2014 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2014-04-27
VYAZMA - 25 August 2014 06:51 PM

MzLee

thanks in advance

Trolls are so funny. Thanks for the giggle.  LOL

Signature 

Religion is doing good things in fear of bad consequences. Morality is doing good things because they are good things.

3 of 3