1 of 2
When Did Astrology Columns Appear in Newspapers?
Posted: 19 October 2014 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2012-02-02

Anybody know? I’m rereading TW Doane’s “Bible Myths and Their Parallels in Other Religions” and he quotes a contemporary author who mocks the idea of anyone believing in astrology in that era. This seems to indicate that things like horoscopes weren’t common. Which leads me to believe that they didn’t appear until sometime after the late 1880s.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 19 October 2014 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
Coldheart Tucker - 19 October 2014 08:05 PM

Anybody know? I’m rereading TW Doane’s “Bible Myths and Their Parallels in Other Religions” and he quotes a contemporary author who mocks the idea of anyone believing in astrology in that era. This seems to indicate that things like horoscopes weren’t common. Which leads me to believe that they didn’t appear until sometime after the late 1880s.

A Wikipedia article says the first newspaper astrology item was in the 17th Century, but it wasn’t until 1930 that a simplified method of astrology called sun signs—which is the kind of astrology that appears in newspapers today—appeared regularly in newspapers, supposedly invented by R. H. Naylor. 
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_sign_astrology

There have been many methods of using the stars and planets to predict human and supernatural activity over the centuries and it still goes on today, especially in Asian and Arabic countries.  Many people believe in it and some have incorporated it into their religion. It’s all hogwash, IMO.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 20 October 2014 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4212
Joined  2009-10-21

I’ve been to a very old church in Greece with the signs of the zodiac painted on the ceiling and Jesus is in the middle. What era?

Posted: 20 October 2014 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Lausten - 20 October 2014 04:32 AM

I’ve been to a very old church in Greece with the signs of the zodiac painted on the ceiling and Jesus is in the middle. What era?

There is a similar fresco in the Dekoulou Monastery in Mani, Peloponnese, Greece,  from the 16th Century.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-A_very_rare_fresco_depicting_Jesus_Christ_surrounded_by_the_Zodiac-33973224.html

Here are some websites you might find interesting

http://www.thegreektraveller.com/en/mesa-mani-dekoulou-monastery/

http://www.orthodoxartsjournal.org/most-of-the-time-the-earth-is-flat/

There is also a zodiac in a painting of the Virgin Mary at Chartres Cathedral, dating from the 13th Century.

http://www.darkstar1.co.uk/chartres.htm

But little information as to why zodiacs appear in Christian church art.

Lois

[ Edited: 21 October 2014 10:27 AM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2014 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1577
Joined  2012-04-25

Bit of a tangent, but heartening: Was watching Family Feud the other day and the question was, On a scale of 1 to 10, How Much Do You Believe In Horoscopes? Most popular answer was 1.

Posted: 21 October 2014 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
CuthbertJ - 21 October 2014 10:07 AM

Bit of a tangent, but heartening: Was watching Family Feud the other day and the question was, On a scale of 1 to 10, How Much Do You Believe In Horoscopes? Most popular answer was 1.

Yes, but if that’s an indication of the rest of the country, it means that most people are on the astrology belief spectrum and have not rejected the idea of astrology. Of course they didn’t have a zero on the scale.

L

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2014 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
LoisL - 21 October 2014 10:30 AM
CuthbertJ - 21 October 2014 10:07 AM

Yes, but if that’s an indication of the rest of the country, it means that most people are on the astrology belief spectrum and have not rejected the idea of astrology. Of course they didn’t have a zero on the scale.

L

You over-analyse… 1 was as low as they could go and they went there. Let’s be happy it wasn’t near 10.

Posted: 22 October 2014 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24

I suspect when publishers realized many women read newspapers, horoscopes became more commonly published in them.

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 22 October 2014 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
mid atlantic - 22 October 2014 08:54 AM

I suspect when publishers realized many women read newspapers, horoscopes became more commonly published in them.

Misogyny doesn’t suit you. On the other hand, maybe it does.

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 23 October 2014 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
LoisL - 22 October 2014 08:24 PM

Lois

Unless it’s true that women tend to read horoscopes. Jumping to a conclusion that mid atlantic is being misogynistic just because he said something you don’t like is being um, man-hating, whatever the term is.

Posted: 24 October 2014 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24

It shouldn’t be controversial. More women believe in Astrology more than men, and newspapers have always used whatever methods they could to sell more copies.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/19558/paranormal-beliefs-come-supernaturally-some.aspx

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 26 October 2014 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7846
Joined  2009-02-26
mid atlantic - 24 October 2014 04:59 PM

It shouldn’t be controversial. More women believe in Astrology more than men, and newspapers have always used whatever methods they could to sell more copies.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/19558/paranormal-beliefs-come-supernaturally-some.aspx

Perhaps women are a little more intuitive than men in this respect. 
Everyone seems to associate Astrology as a form of pseudo-science or metaphysical woo. And most of it is. But the concept of astrology is becoming at least partially validated by our increasing knowledge of Astronomy and Cosmolgy and Physics.

It cannot be denied that “alignment of particles” are causal to specific results. Astrology attempts to apply this principle to the alignment of stellar objects and configurations, such as the sun and planets. The Zodiac serves as a grand intellectual map
The Farmers Almanac is also such an application, according to locally known weather patterns and predictions, rather than dates and times of birth.

The zodiac

Although the zodiac remains the basis of the ecliptic coordinate system in use in astronomy besides the equatorial one,[3] the term and the names of the twelve signs are today mostly associated with horoscopic astrology.[4] The term “zodiac” may also refer to the region of the celestial sphere encompassing the paths of the planets corresponding to the band of about eight arc degrees above and below the ecliptic. The zodiac of a given planet is the band that contains the path of that particular body; e.g., the “zodiac of the Moon” is the band of five degrees above and below the ecliptic. By extension, the “zodiac of the comets” may refer to the band encompassing most short-period comets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac

[ Edited: 26 October 2014 04:25 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 October 2014 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
CuthbertJ - 23 October 2014 10:30 AM
LoisL - 22 October 2014 08:24 PM

Lois

Unless it’s true that women tend to read horoscopes. Jumping to a conclusion that mid atlantic is being misogynistic just because he said something you don’t like is being um, man-hating, whatever the term is.

The term is “reasonable.”

That more women than men read horoscopes means nothing. More men than women watch sports. Does that tell anything about their intellect? Both are merely entertainment. That’s all they are. But check out sometime the amount of newspaper space given to sports and compare it to the amount of space given to horoscopes. We don’t see pages of “Horoscope Sections” in every newspaper,  to say nothing of the hours of mindless sports coverage on television and radio every day.

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2014 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  4212
Joined  2009-10-21

Here’s a related question. Pluto? Astrology was around forever, then we discover a new planet. How did they figure out how to incorporate it? Did they go back and redo everyone’s charts? Then it became not-planet again. Now what? Seems fishy to me.

Posted: 28 October 2014 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2012-02-02

They ignore it completely.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 28 October 2014 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  7846
Joined  2009-02-26
Coldheart Tucker - 28 October 2014 05:25 PM

They ignore it completely.

Perhaps it is too small to have a “perceptable” impact on the greater solar system, including the earth, whereas the moon’s close proximity is certainly influential to physical events on earth, such as ocean tides which affect all organisms in that environment and may well affect all living things on earth..

I am not arguing or defending Astrology; it is at best an inexact science with too many unknown variables. I see astrology more as a rudimentary attempt at applying a crude form of science trying to tie and explain recurring events (and their consequences) in our solar system with certain events on earth.
An example is the ability of travelers to “navigate by the relative position of the stars and local planets”

But just as GR has replaced Newtionian physics, it also recognizes its practical functionality in local systems. I believe astrology was just an evolutionary step in the development of Astronomy and Cosmology, from direct observation without the benefit of knowledge of gravity and the use of sophisticated instruments.

[ Edited: 28 October 2014 07:49 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

1 of 2