I want to report what if feel is an ugly post of hate speech.
Posted: 03 November 2014 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  483
Joined  2014-03-12

In the thread, humanism, homosexuality, a person using the name Other Quadrant has posted the following:

Yes Lois. Fully genetic explanations for homosexuality should be taken as suspect, in the first place, because an integral part of the “equality” movement is the cultural normalization of homosexuality so there is clearly an agenda. And also, such explanations fail in their purpose for multiple reasons.

*There are many other sorts of natural, biologically based behaviors that can be easily illustrated as not being in the interest of others or society as a whole. For example, rape or other violent sorts of activities. It is normal, according to the usual line of reasoning about homosexuality being normal simply because there are people and animals who do it, that people commit acts of pedophilia. That doesn’t mean that we ought condone those condone such behaviors.

*It is no less difficult to unjustly discriminate against or abuse individuals if they are different because of their nature then it is to do so because of experience, or nurture. History shows us countless examples of abuse inflicted upon persons because of their biological difference, or perceived difference.

Moreover, from a scientific perspective there is no meaningfully such absolute thing as nature vs. nurture. There is the interaction of the two.

I feel personally attacked and disgusted by his claim that gay people wanting equal rights is the equivalent of rapists or pedophiles deserving rights. I sinserly feel this reached the level of hate speech and I am shocked that this was allowed.

I request that this person be confronted by a monitor or someone with authority.

Danny

Signature 

“expectation is the mother of disappointment”

Posted: 03 November 2014 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15728
Joined  2006-02-14

Hello Handydan. I will initiate discussion on this issue with the Mods. I would caution that this folder isn’t meant for bringing issues to our attention. That can be done by email or private message.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 November 2014 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15728
Joined  2006-02-14

Handydan, this is a Forum for broadly open discussion and inquiry. As such it must allow for argument which is at times offensive to some of us, so long as it remains within the Rules, which in this case (e.g., Rule 3(f)) are basically intended to discourage abuse directed personally at Forum members. We need to discourage abuse since it tends to replace reasoned discussion and inquiry with shouting matches and flame-wars, which do not advance understanding.

False, ugly, repugnant, and bigoted views are best confronted openly, with strong counterarguments, rather than being shoved under the rug. We know that such views exist in society at large, so simply disallowing views with which we disagreed here on the Forum would not make them disappear, nor subject them to the scrutiny they clearly deserve.

Further, personal offense cuts both ways. Many views that are shared by those on this site, such as atheism, secularism, evolution, abortion rights, gay rights, and so on, are personally offensive to some ‘on the other side’. So again, decisions of what to allow and disallow here must go beyond offense, or we will end up shutting down most discussions here in one way or another.

I appreciate your position in this matter, and hope you understand our reasoning.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

‹‹ Fast Edit Note      Can’t post ››