Sagan’s book in the NYTimes
Posted: 13 February 2007 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

A really good article (finally) in the NYTimes about religion ... by Dennis Overbye. It’s about the most recent book by Carl Sagan: [i:8bece4e45b]Varieties of Scientific Experience[/i:8bece4e45b].

[b:8bece4e45b]A Familiar and Prescient Voice, Brought to Life[/b:8bece4e45b]. (May require login or be paid after awhile).

Short excerpts:

[quote:8bece4e45b=“NYTimes”]Now, however, Dr. Sagan has rejoined the cosmic debate from the grave. The occasion is the publication last month of ¤The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for GodË (Penguin). The book is based on a series of lectures exploring the boundary between science and religion that Dr. Sagan gave in Glasgow in 1985, and it was edited by Ann Druyan, his widow and collaborator.

<snip>

¤I would suggest that science is, at least in part, informed worship,Ë he writes at the beginning of a discussion that includes the history of cosmology, a travel guide to the solar system, the reason there are hallucinogen receptors in the brain, and the meaning of the potential discovery █ or lack thereof █ of extraterrestrial intelligence.

<snip>

In the wake of Sept. 11 and the attacks on the teaching of evolution in this country, she said, a tacit truce between science and religion that has existed since the time of Galileo started breaking down. ¤A lot of scientists were mad as hell, and they weren╠t going to take it anymore,Ë Ms. Druyan said over lunch recently.

Some of the books that resulted, such as Richard Dawkins╠s ¤The God Delusion,Ë have been criticized as shrill, but Ms. Druyan said: ¤People like Carl and Dawkins are more serious about God than people who just go through the motions. They are real seekers.Ë[/quote:8bece4e45b]

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sue├▒o de la raz├│n produce monstruos

Posted: 13 February 2007 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2006-12-30

Doug, thank you pointing out the new Sagan book. Did you also see, in the on-line Times, the video on the new exhibit on Human Origins at the American Museum of Natural History? Tantalizing!

Signature 

Robert Burdick

A member of the reality-based community.

Posted: 13 February 2007 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“Acher”]Doug, thank you pointing out the new Sagan book. Did you also see, in the on-line Times, the video on the new exhibit on Human Origins at the American Museum of Natural History? Tantalizing!

I didn’t see the video, thanks for pointing it out, but did see the exhibit. I actually posted on it a few days ago. It is EXCEPTIONAL. Can’t recommend it highly enough.

Video can be seen HERE .

Hall of Human Origins website is HERE .

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sue├▒o de la raz├│n produce monstruos

‹‹ CNN Piece on Atheism      THE JESUS PROJECT ››