Past Life Memories
Posted: 25 November 2014 01:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-11-25

I am reading a book on Thai Buddhism (socio-cultural emphasis rather than the religious aspects). In exploring the concept of rebirth as it relates to the Thai culture, the author discusses work done with children by Sutdya Vajrabhaya. I checked the internet and found a reference to his work in past life memories in children in Thailand in “Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives” by Jim Tucker, MD.

If true, these cases are quite astounding. My question is whether these types of cases have been explored in any kind of a scientific study.

Thanks for the comments.

Tony

Posted: 25 November 2014 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15726
Joined  2006-02-14

Ian Stevenson is probably the most famous of these sorts of ‘investigators’. You can see the Skepdic article on him HERE.

Basically Stevenson’s technique was to formulate a hypothesis (rebirth is true) and then search for evidence that confirmed his hypothesis (Find people who believe they had been reborn). This isn’t how a proper scientific investigation is done, since there is no way for such a study to ever disconfirm the initial hypothesis. Stevenson never undertook anything like a scientific study of his subjects; there was no way for him to know if the information they provided re. past lives was tainted. It is very easy for such information to have been provided intentionally or subconsciously, and a credulous observer would not necessarily realize he was being fooled.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 28 November 2014 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2011-09-13
TonyCr - 25 November 2014 01:24 AM

I am reading a book on Thai Buddhism (socio-cultural emphasis rather than the religious aspects). In exploring the concept of rebirth as it relates to the Thai culture, the author discusses work done with children by Sutdya Vajrabhaya. I checked the internet and found a reference to his work in past life memories in children in Thailand in “Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives” by Jim Tucker, MD.

If true, these cases are quite astounding. My question is whether these types of cases have been explored in any kind of a scientific study.

Thanks for the comments.

Tony

The simple and correct answer is NO.

Posted: 08 December 2014 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2014-06-20
deros - 28 November 2014 04:20 PM
TonyCr - 25 November 2014 01:24 AM

Thanks for the comments.

Tony

The simple and correct answer is NO.

Right, and the reason is that scientists don’t investigate supernatural claims or any other claim that has no objective evidence for its existence.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]