Aw, Crap!  Did Michigan just become a theocracy?
Posted: 07 December 2014 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-07-28

So, while a bunch of us were off having a great ol’ time at the Michigan Atheists Convention, it looks like Gov. Sneaker and the whole religious Hee Haw gang pulled a fast one on us:
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/12/06/terrifying-law-turns-michigan-into-theocracy/

“This clause allows any Christian Fundamentalist working in the healthcare industry to cease a patient’s medical care if they claim their objection is founded on religious beliefs, and the Healthcare provider would be obliged to send a patient away. This would give legal cover to religious pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions if they “think” a person is gay, a woman is a single mother, or the patient is the “wrong religion.” It would also mean a first responder, whether law enforcement, fire protection, or ambulance personnel can use “religious objections” to refuse to provide service to a person or group they feel violates their religious beliefs.”

Ironically, I’d just picked up a copy of Robert Boston’s “Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn’t Give You The Right To Tell Other People What To Do.”

So how should we respond?  Sounds like it’s time to play Ellen’s brand of “Hardball!”

Signature 

“The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

Posted: 07 December 2014 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  569
Joined  2012-02-02

Oh, like you guys haven’t been doing this already!  Just walk into a Michigan ER wearing an OSU jersey and see if anybody will help you!  wink

The irony, of course, is that the people most in favor of this law are probably the ones screaming the loudest that we’re in danger of being forced to live under Sharia Law.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 07 December 2014 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-28

Great point.  Our fake nerd governor is sure to sign this POS.  The question is: what to do about it.

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2014 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  569
Joined  2012-02-02

Start by contacting the local ACLU and the Freedom From Religion Foundation, as I’m sure they’re as pissed about this as you are, and they probably are planning something to try and stop it.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 08 December 2014 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-07-28

Totally on it!  FFRF has been instrumental in Doug Marshall’s battle with the City of Warren.  They’ve got a great legal team.

Signature