16 of 22
vaccinations/immunization
Posted: 15 October 2008 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2220
Joined  2007-04-26
Occam - 15 October 2008 10:35 AM

True, but those children who do survive will be taught the same idiotic things by their parents, and will have the additional ‘evidence’ of “See, I wasn’t vaccinated and I’m just fine.  They are unnnecessary.”  And they’ll continue the practice of not vaccinating their children.

Occam

Part of me wishes we could send all the unvaccinated children to one school. Partly to protect the rest of the kids, but also to see if those antivaccine parents change their minds about vaccines when the first epidemic sweeps throught their school unchecked.

Unfortunately we would be punishing the children who are unwitting victims of their parents poor decisions and that would be cruel. Herd immunity allows these people to mistakenly conclude they got away unscathed when they chose not to vaccinate, but if more people follow their lead and the vaccinated portion of the population drops that protection won’t be there for long.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 26 October 2008 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]
Total Posts:  4097
Joined  2006-11-28

Rotavirus Vaccine Dramatically Reduces Emergency Room Visits

A vaccine against rotavirus, the leading cause of diarrhea in infants, has led to a dramatic drop in hospitalization and emergency room visits since it came on the market two years ago, doctors reported Saturday.

A bonus: the vaccine seems to be preventing illness even in unvaccinated children by cutting the number of infections in the community that kids can pick up and spread.

Just another in a long series of examples.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 26 October 2008 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

We’ve had kids die of rotavirus at my hospital. I once picked up rotavirus from a patient. I was MISERABLE! One of my cousins died of what sounds like rotavirus in the 1940s—-right after the doctor told my aunt that diarrhea never killed anyone.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 October 2008 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

The rotavirus vaccine results are pretty impressive, but no doubt will do little to convince those who follow their “instincts”  instead of the scientific evidence ( Check out the last issue of US magazine with Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carey on the cover wearing “GREEN OUR VACCINES” t-shirts- Ugh!!!). I couldn’t get your link to work MAcKenzie, so for anyone who’s interested this one seems to have the same info.

CDC Rotavirus home page

[ Edited: 26 October 2008 11:56 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 26 October 2008 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2008-03-19
mckenzievmd - 26 October 2008 08:08 AM

Rotavirus Vaccine Dramatically Reduces Emergency Room Visits

A vaccine against rotavirus, the leading cause of diarrhea in infants, has led to a dramatic drop in hospitalization and emergency room visits since it came on the market two years ago, doctors reported Saturday.

A bonus: the vaccine seems to be preventing illness even in unvaccinated children by cutting the number of infections in the community that kids can pick up and spread.

Just another in a long series of examples.

The rotavirus vaccine will be required for the NCQA HEDIS Childhood Immunization Measure starting in 2009 (reported in 2010)

Signature 

Barry Manilow didn’t write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Posted: 26 October 2008 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
OldSquid - 26 October 2008 02:54 PM

The rotavirus vaccine will be required for the NCQA HEDIS Childhood Immunization Measure starting in 2009 (reported in 2010)

Oh No, there’ll be protests that it will cause their autistic girls to be promiscuous!!!! LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 October 2008 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

All jokes aside, the first rotavirus vaccinations were recommended for the preemies and other immunosuppresed. It appeared to cause an unfortunate increase in intussusceptions. This vaccine will cut down on many, many, hospitalizations, people do not realize just how serious this form of diarrhea can be.

Signature 

Posted: 27 October 2008 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

Seems like ignorance has won another round. I just found out that in their ultimate wisdom the NY state legislature apparently passed a law that makes it a crime for doctors in the state to give flu vaccines containing thimerisal to pregnant women. This law became effective July 1st, 2008 but no one told most of us. Aside from the foolishness of outlawing a substance which has never been linked to autism, these lawmakers may have actually put mothers and their unborn children at greater risk.

Pregnant women are a special high risk group for which influenza vaccination is strongly recommended. They are more likely than the average individual to develop dangerous complications from influenza which can endanger their lives as well as their fetuses. By forcing doctors to use a more expensive influenza vaccine many physicians may actually choose not to offer it at all.

Vaccinations are a money losing proposition in most medical practices. If a vaccine costs a doctor $20.31 per dose, the insurance companies pay the doctor exactly $20.31 when they administer it. If the cost of the vaccine goes up the insurance companies often delay any increase reimbursement. During this time the doctors are forced to subsidize the vaccine for the patient - money they will never recoup. Doctors aren’t even allowed to charge for the office visit unless the patient happens to be there for something else ( ie: diabetes follow-up, blood pressure check etc.).

It turns out that the non-thimerisal flu vaccine will only be reimbursed properly when given to pregnant women. Give the $16 thimerisal free vaccine to a nonpregnant adult and the insurance company will only pay the doctor $10 standard flu vaccine rate for it ( and we’re not allowed to bill the patient for the difference). Keep in mind that the flu vaccine is only good for the current season so anything not used by Jan/Feb has to be thrown out. It can’t be returned. In the end, if a physician orders more of it than he needs ( and how can a physician predict how many pregnant women are going to come in for the flu shot in a given year???) he has to throw out the extra at the end of the season with no way of recouping his losses.

I think a lot of physicians may simply decide its not worth it and refuse to stock this vaccine, sending their pregnant elsewhere to look for it. The result will be that some will never get it at all

[ Edited: 01 November 2008 06:00 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

Posted: 27 October 2008 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

hmmmm, more laws passed by well meaning idiots who have absolutely no medical training. Just what we need! cool mad

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2008 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

Well it didn’t take long. After checking with all the distributors it turns out thimerisal free vaccines are no longer available for purchase this year. Yesterday a pregnant patient came in and after spending 20 minutes explaining the situation and offering to give her the standard vaccine if she signed the informed consent form, she declined and will probably have to go through the flu season unprotected. Another dumb decision by our elected officials is working its magic on society.

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2008 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Whew! that was close! if she dies from the flu, at least she will not have contaminated her child with mercury and the probability of having an autistic child! long face

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2008 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

Just another update. My wife is an Obstetrician. One of her pregnant patients called yesterday angry as all hell because she had been “allowed” to get a flu shot at work that had thimerisal in it and my wife’s practice hadn’t warned her about the harmful effects and that “giving thinmerisal containing vaccines to pregnant women was against the law”( they didn’t even know she was getting one at work). She concluded by saying ( screaming actually) that she would be leaving the practice and would be sure to file a lawsuit if anything “went wrong” with the baby confused .  Stupidity wins another round.

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2008 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
macgyver - 24 November 2008 07:38 AM

Just another update. My wife is an Obstetrician. One of her pregnant patients called yesterday angry as all hell because she had been “allowed” to get a flu shot at work that had thimerisal in it and my wife’s practice hadn’t warned her about the harmful effects and that “giving thinmerisal containing vaccines to pregnant women was against the law”( they didn’t even know she was getting one at work). She concluded by saying ( screaming actually) that she would be leaving the practice and would be sure to file a lawsuit if anything “went wrong” with the baby confused .  Stupidity wins another round.

Don’t feel bad, stupidity has had a lot more practice than we have! smile She’d probably be able to find a jury that will award a multimillion dollar settlement to her against your wife, just based on the information you just gave!

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2009 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15405
Joined  2006-02-14

Article in the NYTimes today about Paul Offit and his book attacking the anti-vaccine crowd. Apparently he’s had death threats and so can’t go on conventional book tours.

angry

Book Is Rallying Resistance to the Antivaccine Crusade
By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.
Published: January 12, 2009

A new book defending vaccines, written by a doctor infuriated at the claim that they cause autism, is galvanizing a backlash against the antivaccine movement in the United States.

<snip>

Dr. Offit, a pediatrician, is a mild, funny and somewhat rumpled 57-year-old. The chief of infectious diseases at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, he is also the co-inventor of a vaccine against rotavirus, a diarrheal disease that kills 60,000 children a year in poor countries.

“When Jonas Salk invented polio vaccine, he was a hero — and I’m a terrorist?” he jokes, referring to a placard denouncing him at a recent demonstration by antivaccine activists outside the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. ...

The article walks a fine line here between being another he-said, she-said example of false journalistic “balance” between the pro- and anti-vaccine crowds, and a responsible article pointing out the complete lack of evidence that vaccines cause autism. It doesn’t get it quite right (for example, it includes an apparently baseless assertion that autistic children have been “cured” by anti-vaccine alternative medicine), but it could have been worse. I expect the relative decency of the article comes from the fact that it was published in the Science Times section.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 January 2009 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

Do you have a link to the article Doug?

Signature 

16 of 22