Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15300
Joined  2006-02-14

Just to note that Andrew Wakefield is now no longer “Dr.” Wakefield. See HERE:

MMR doctor struck from register

By Nick Triggle
Health reporter, BBC News

The doctor who first suggested a link between MMR vaccinations and autism is to be struck off the medical register.

The General Medical Council found Dr Andrew Wakefield guilty of serious professional misconduct over the way he carried out his controversial research.

<snip>

During the two-and-a-half-year case, the longest in GMC history, he was accused of carrying out invasive tests on vulnerable children which were against their best interests.

The GMC also said Dr Wakefield, who was working at London’s Royal Free Hospital as a gastroenterologist at the time, did not have the ethical approval or relevant qualifications for such tests. ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 May 2010 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 287 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Doh! I just posted the same thing in a new thread.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 24 May 2010 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 288 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I’m upset that they did not emphasize the fraudulent nature of his published papers as well.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 24 May 2010 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 289 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Asanta in the “duplicate post” I made in the other thread, that article mentioned a bit about the fraudulent papers as well as his shady connections. But not as much info as I would have liked to see published. I wish this made headlines instead of side bars.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 19 January 2011 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 290 ]
Total Posts:  7503
Joined  2007-03-02

Bill Gates is unbelievable and the article calls people who get vaccines stupid.

Bill Gates Say Vaccines Can Help Reduce World Population

The whole thing is unbelievable.  I’ve spent a lifetime getting vaccinated, save for the flu vaccine due to an egg allergy.  Bill Gates seems like he is totally ignorant if he actually said this.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 19 January 2011 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 291 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15300
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 19 January 2011 09:05 AM

Bill Gates is unbelievable and the article calls people who get vaccines stupid.

The whole thing is unbelievable.  I’ve spent a lifetime getting vaccinated, save for the flu vaccine due to an egg allergy.  Bill Gates seems like he is totally ignorant if he actually said this.

The site that’s from, naturalhealthnews, is clearly a complete garbage site. If you read what Gates said, he was saying something that people have said for a very long time, viz., that part of the reason for high birthrates in underprivileged parts of the world has to do with high infant mortality. High infant mortality, OTOH, comes from poor healthcare including low vaccination rates.

When parents know that their children are likely to survive until adulthood they tend to have fewer children.

Also, look at the quote they cite: “The world today has 6.8 billion people… that’s headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent.”

So part of what he believes will reduce population is “reproductive health”, something that would certainly include birth control.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 19 January 2011 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 292 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Mike Adams ‘The Health Ranger’ is a KOOK. I would bet my bottom dollar that this statement is taken completely out of context. Some of the podcasts I listen to routinely make fun of Adams. He is as kooky as Joseph Mercola.(http://www.mercolaquack.com/)
here is some information on Adams the quack:http://assholeskeptic.blogspot.com/2009/08/mike-adams-wants-to-kill-your-kids.html

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 January 2011 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 293 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 19 January 2011 10:04 AM

Mike Adams ‘The Health Ranger’ is a KOOK. I would bet my bottom dollar that this statement is taken completely out of context. Some of the podcasts I listen to routinely make fun of Adams. He is as kooky as Joseph Mercola.(http://www.mercolaquack.com/)
here is some information on Adams the quack:http://assholeskeptic.blogspot.com/2009/08/mike-adams-wants-to-kill-your-kids.html

That’s what I was thinking.  I cannot imagine that an educated man, such as Bill Gates would be saying what this guy is attributing to him.  Not get me started on Mercola.  I keep trying to call it Motorola, so you know if I actually butcher the name that much I don’t think much of it.  I also cannot see how anyone would be calling the people who get vaccinated “stupid” or whatever the word Adams used along that line.  So um…  if natural selection still plays a roll in our human development and evolution, wouldn’t it mean that those who do not strengthen their immune systems via vaccinations be the weaker ones?  I mean, they would be the ones succumbing to illness while the rest of us will not.  Right?  It would seem to me they do not quite comprehend germ theory and what actually is involved with vaccinations.  Drink dead polio or shot of live polio, the body recognizes it when it is a live active version tries to attack and knows what to do so that the body doesn’t become ill.  Same goes with Mumps and alike.  Of course I’m simplifying it, but those who do not get vaccinated do not have this immunity or any immunity and risk death if there is ever another outbreak of polio.  So evolutionary wise, this Kook isn’t going to make it.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 19 January 2011 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 294 ]
Total Posts:  5165
Joined  2010-06-16

We have a market nearby that caters to some extent to “natural” foods, etc.  I was early to a barber’s appointment today so went across the street to Henry’s Market.  I picked up their January brochure and saw a calendar which listed as an event for January 3rd,  “HOMEOPATHIC FLU SHOTS: Dr. Nirvana, $20 - $25 each.”  How could I have missed out on getting a homeopathic flu shot???  LOL snake

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 January 2011 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 295 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 19 January 2011 07:31 PM

We have a market nearby that caters to some extent to “natural” foods, etc.  I was early to a barber’s appointment today so went across the street to Henry’s Market.  I picked up their January brochure and saw a calendar which listed as an event for January 3rd,  “HOMEOPATHIC FLU SHOTS: Dr. Nirvana, $20 - $25 each.”  How could I have missed out on getting a homeopathic flu shot???  LOL snake

Occam

Well, it’s not too late! H1N1 is on the rise again! Rush over there now, they will be selling out soon!! tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2011 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 296 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Occam

Wow $20 for a shot of water? I’m in the wrong business.

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2011 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 297 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 20 January 2011 06:14 PM

Occam

You’re quicker than I am…I even have LOTS of experience giving shots! It’s that darn ethical conscience that keeps getting in my way!

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2011 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 298 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 20 January 2011 09:33 PM
Jules - 20 January 2011 06:14 PM

Occam

You’re quicker than I am…I even have LOTS of experience giving shots! It’s that darn ethical conscience that keeps getting in my way!

Just a thought and while I know that vaccines are administer in the form of a fluid, I’m wondering what plain water does to the system via a shot.  I realize the simple and easy answer is nothing, but I’m thinking in terms of temporary fluid retention in the area the shot is administrated.  When we get a tetnus (sp?) shot, for example, we have the vaccine that goes with it, but also, if we don’t work that muscle it was given, we have soreness and maybe some swelling in that area.  With just a “placebo”, would there be the same “side-effect”, only without the immunity?  I hope someone understand what I’m trying to ask.  Similarly for other shots, such as ones we get for migraines- I found after I got that shot, my butt hurt worse than my head, shortly afterward.  LOL So would a “placebo” have similar “side-effects” only without immunity?  Does anyone understand what I’m trying to ask?  I realize the needle itself would leave some discomfort, like getting stuck with a sewing needle maybe, but I’m going with more than just the idea of discomfort here, because there is fluid too, not just the needle.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 20 January 2011 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 299 ]
Total Posts:  4049
Joined  2006-11-28

Werll, I’m not entirely sure I know what you’re asking, Mriana, but Ill give it a go. Vaccines have all sorts of components besides the antigen against which they are trying to stimulate an immune response. Preservatives, adjuvants, contaminates, and so on. A true “placebo” version fo a vaccine would include all of these things, and since some of the body’s reaction to the vaccine is to those components, this placebo might stimulate some reaction.

As for pure water, it’s hypoosmotic, so it can cause cells to rupture, which could create some local inflammation and soreness. But I suspect the volume would be too small to cause much in the way of noticeable symptoms.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 20 January 2011 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 300 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Depends on what is in the shot. I wouldn’t give a ‘water’ shot. It would be unkind to the cells. I’d give a saline water shot, which would just be harmlessly absorbed. Some shots like cortisone, tetanus and penicillin are very irritating. Some hurt because of the viscosity, some because of the Ph, some because of the reaction your body has to it.

Signature 

20 of 22