3 of 3
Where are the theist secular humanists?
Posted: 16 March 2016 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7805
Joined  2009-02-26

I am an atheist and never gave much thought to spiritualism, until a native American bruha,  in response to something I said, told me that I was very spiritual at heart, which I considered a great compliment although I didn’t understand exactly what she was conveying.
So I did a little research an ran across the following.

Secular spirituality refers to the adherence to a spiritual ideology without the advocation of a religious framework. Secular spirituality emphasizes the inner peace of an individual, rather than a relationship with the divine. Secular spirituality is made up of the search for meaning outside of a religious institution; it considers one’s relationship with the self, others, nature, and whatever else one considers to be the ultimate.[1] Often, the goal of secular spirituality is living happily and/or helping others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_spirituality

Thus, if *spirituality* is taken as form of self-awareness,  secular moral spirituality is not necessarily conected with Religion. It more oriented to the search for *intellectual growth* of the self, or as I like to call it; Humanism.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 March 2016 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2015-11-28
Irmin - 10 February 2015 02:50 PM

A common assertion among people here is that theists can be (secular) humanists. A lot of American humanists seem to be of this viewpoint, which would make American humanism very different from European humanism., the latter which is explicitly irreligious and atheistic (or at least agnostic).

So I’m asking you here: Where are those secular humanists who are also theists? Have they had prominent roles in any humanist organization? Do they show up in meetups or in membership lists? Show me an example of a theist secular humanist!

The granularity of your concern is a serious challeng to a useful answer.

Posted: 16 March 2016 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
AMH - 16 March 2016 06:21 PM

A common assertion among people here is that theists can be (secular) humanists. A lot of American humanists seem to be of this viewpoint, which would make American humanism very different from European humanism., the latter which is explicitly irreligious and atheistic (or at least agnostic).

So I’m asking you here: Where are those secular humanists who are also theists? Have they had prominent roles in any humanist organization? Do they show up in meetups or in membership lists? Show me an example of a theist secular humanist!

The granularity of your concern is a serious challeng to a useful answer.

There was a guy who was posting on the forum, not long ago, who I think may have qualified as a secular theist humanist.  He eventually got so upset with his ideas being challenged, that he basically said something like “Fuck off - Goodbye”  and I haven’t seen a post from him since.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 17 March 2016 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14
3point14rat - 16 March 2016 12:09 PM

So can there be a theist secular humanist?... not really, unless you can have degrees of humanism (which I don’t think you can).

I see there is some history to this in this thread.
I didn’t read the whole thread, I thought you put this last part in as a comical afterthought.
LOL
The “secular theist” part….oxymoron..yes!

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 17 March 2016 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2015-11-28
VYAZMA - 17 March 2016 05:48 AM
3point14rat - 16 March 2016 12:09 PM

So can there be a theist secular humanist?... not really, unless you can have degrees of humanism (which I don’t think you can).

I see there is some history to this in this thread.
I didn’t read the whole thread, I thought you put this last part in as a comical afterthought.
LOL
The “secular theist” part….oxymoron..yes!

Interesting. I think there are many people who try to live by Humanist values.  They may or may not affiliate with commercial religion and many may not know what Humanism is according to Felx Adler https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Adler_(Society_for_Ethical_Culture)

I was an absolute atheist before I was old enough to order a beer. After I retired I visited an Ethical Society out of curiosity. I discovered that I had lived my life in very much the lifestyle stance of a Humanist.

I can’t think of any existence of animate or inanimate that do not have varying degrees of whatever they are an example of.

Posted: 17 March 2016 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Write4U - 16 March 2016 05:28 PM

I am an atheist and never gave much thought to spiritualism, until a native American bruha,  in response to something I said, told me that I was very spiritual at heart, which I considered a great compliment although I didn’t understand exactly what she was conveying.

Secular spirituality refers to the adherence to a spiritual ideology without the advocation of a religious framework. Secular spirituality emphasizes the inner peace of an individual, rather than a relationship with the divine. Secular spirituality is made up of the search for meaning outside of a religious institution; it considers one’s relationship with the self, others, nature, and whatever else one considers to be the ultimate.[1] Often, the goal of secular spirituality is living happily and/or helping others.

Thus, if *spirituality* is taken as form of self-awareness,  secular moral spirituality is not necessarily conected with Religion. It more oriented to the search for *intellectual growth* of the self, or as I like to call it; Humanism.

So why not use the word “Humanism” instead of a poorly defined, supernatural-sounding and contentious word like “spirituality”?  Use “search for intellectual growth” or any other synonym without the reputation of implying the supernatural. Wouldn’t that make it more widely understood and isn’t that the purpose of communication?

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 17 March 2016 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  7805
Joined  2009-02-26
LoisL - 17 March 2016 09:46 AM

So why not use the word “Humanism” instead of a poorly defined, supernatural-sounding and contentious word like “spirituality”?  Use “search for intellectual growth” or any other synonym without the reputation of implying the supernatural. Wouldn’t that make it more widely understood and isn’t that the purpose of communication?
Lois

I agree and I don’t use that word myself, as noted before. I used it this time in context of the conversation.
That’s why I posted the various definitions to illustrate the range of definitions that can be applied to *SPIRITUALISM*.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 08 January 2017 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10

Since I see no need for a supremacist authority of any kind and since I see widespread arrogance and disaster following those who make one up without any evidence, theism makes zero sense and is destructive in nature. Theism wastes resources of a human unless subject to experimentation through cause and effect. The best thing possible about theism is that those who profess it will be more tolerated by religious murderers, religious propagandists and religious social engineers.

Since all aspects of the human experience are explainable and can be codified by real objects and known energy forms, there are no questions theism can answer as well as reality.

Enjoy life here, now, and plan for a wonderful future as long as you can…Theism is just conjecture and comfort for ignorance.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 08 January 2017 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10
LoisL - 17 March 2016 09:46 AM

Lois

Lois is making an important point regarding use of words. Theology is a master at equivocation and finds its most ripe converts in those who are not critical regarding definitions and word usage. These imprecise approaches to life and thinking create the seedbed for arguments that convert unsuspecting and seeking answers humans. This entire thread seems to be an example and Lois has identified it well.

Specifically, the term theism, as related to some supreme (thus supremacist) thing, being or agent, is conflated as a single thought with spirituality, morality, and a bunch of other terms. Theism is a belief in god. Spirituality is not a belief in god. Morality certainly is not a belief in god nor related to it by any means other than religious propaganda. There is no room, by definition, for theism to coincide with secular.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 08 January 2017 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Secular Humanist Texan - 11 March 2016 10:51 AM

I used to think that calling and considering myself an atheist was sufficient.  But now I realize that a label that describes me best is secular humanist. I realize and understand the Sam Harris argument that labels are not necessary and that individuals do not label themselves has non astrologists, but I think it’s a place to at least, hang your hat.

A humanist by definition is secular. To call yourself a secular humanist is redundant. There is no other kind.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

3 of 3