7 of 7
The nature of natural law
Posted: 05 May 2015 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7992
Joined  2009-02-26
Ockham - 05 May 2015 03:41 PM
Write4U - 05 May 2015 03:07 PM

Right, but expansion IS movement. And FTL expansion could not happen if “c” was in effect at that time. And for some theoretical particles “c” is NOT a limitation. Tachyons are by definition FTL. Thus (if they do exist), they must exist in a different dimension from our 4, where “c” is NOT a limitation..

Just to be accurate, tachyons are hypothetical particles that exist in our 3 spatial + 1 time dimensional space, however they travel along world-lines that are space-like, not time-like like other particles and ourselves.

Thanks for that explanation.
However, if tachyons do exist and do not travel in all 4 dimensions (which make up our reality), my observation is not necessarily incorrect.  What is space without time? According to GR, one cannot exist without the other. How then can a tachyons exist at all, if not in 4D (3+1) spacetime?

Special Relativity forbids objects travelling slower than light-speed, c, to actually achieve c and surpass it; tachyons if they exist would always travel faster than c and could not slow down to c or below it.

That was the underlying point of my proposition.

They have been looked for and in September 2011, it was reported at CERN that a tau neutrino had travelled faster than the speed of light; however it seems now that they hadn’t synchronised their clocks properly!

No wonder, if tachyons do not follow a time-line, how can we even begin to measure the time it takes for a tachyon to travel from here to there? Does it travel as a probability wave?

I am truly interested in the mechanics of FTL, as IMO, a time-line is the result of change. Thus any dynamic particle (real or hypothetical), should have an associated time-line.  Is this what Einstein called “spooky action at a distance”? Entanglement?

If I understand David Bohm, he postulated a higher dimension of pure potential, without any physical properties whatever. Only in the Implicate (the formation of a metaphysical image) do these potentials acquire sufficiently focused interaction (metaphysical harmonics?), whith increasing “probability” for becoming explicated in our reality, that narrow band range we can actually observe even with our sophisticated instruments.

[ Edited: 05 May 2015 08:43 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 05 May 2015 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2015-03-31
Write4U - 05 May 2015 03:07 PM

Right, but expansion IS movement. And FTL expansion could not happen if “c” was in effect at that time.

This is not correct. The speed limit “c” does not apply to the expansion of spacetime. This fact is the basis for the Alcubierre warp drive.

If the universe is expanding, there must be an external permissive condition which allows for such expansion (which could be an infinity of nothing).

This also is not right. It is possible that the universe is expanding into some higher-dimensional space, but this is not necessary at all.

Posted: 05 May 2015 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Total Posts:  5255
Joined  2007-08-31

Write, forget the tachyons. It is not unusual in physics that we get 2 possible solutions for our equations, often due to squares in the equation: 2 squared is 4, but -2 squared is too. Sometimes both solutions have physical meaning, sometimes 1 must be excluded due to physical considerations. I am convinced tachyons belong to the second category: their existence would violate the order of cause and effect.

Signature 

GdB

The light is on, but there is nobody at home.

Posted: 05 May 2015 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2015-03-31
GdB - 05 May 2015 10:43 PM

Write, forget the tachyons. It is not unusual in physics that we get 2 possible solutions for our equations, often due to squares in the equation: 2 squared is 4, but -2 squared is too. Sometimes both solutions have physical meaning, sometimes 1 must be excluded due to physical considerations. I am convinced tachyons belong to the second category: their existence would violate the order of cause and effect.

The physicist Max Tegmark did a taxonomy of worlds counterfactual to our own in which tachyons only would exist if our own metric of 3 space + 1 time were flipped to 1 space + 3 time. The taxonomy also showed, he says, that life of any kind would be impossible outside of 3 + 1. For instance, if there were four dimensions of space and one of time, gravity would be described by an inverse cube law rather than an inverse square law, and it can be shown in such cases that stable orbits would fail to form and planetary systems could not exist. Of course, to extrapolate from the lack of planetary systems that any kind of life whatsoever is ruled out seems a stretch to me.

Tegmark also proposes that all mathematical structures are identical to physical structures, in an ensemble of universes disconnected from our own. He calls this the Level 4 multiverse.

Posted: 06 May 2015 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Total Posts:  7992
Joined  2009-02-26
Pec of Uliar - 05 May 2015 11:30 PM
GdB - 05 May 2015 10:43 PM

The physicist Max Tegmark did a taxonomy of worlds counterfactual to our own in which tachyons only would exist if our own metric of 3 space + 1 time were flipped to 1 space + 3 time. The taxonomy also showed, he says, that life of any kind would be impossible outside of 3 + 1. For instance, if there were four dimensions of space and one of time, gravity would be described by an inverse cube law rather than an inverse square law, and it can be shown in such cases that stable orbits would fail to form and planetary systems could not exist. Of course, to extrapolate from the lack of planetary systems that any kind of life whatsoever is ruled out seems a stretch to me.

Tegmark also proposes that all mathematical structures are identical to physical structures, in an ensemble of universes disconnected from our own. He calls this the Level 4 multiverse.

Thanks for the info. I’ll give that due consideration. However, I do have questions.

What part of a mutiverse would be expanding?

If each universe is a separate entity is it possible that each universe is expanding individually?

If so, what are they expanding into, each other?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 06 May 2015 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Total Posts:  5255
Joined  2007-08-31
Pec of Uliar - 05 May 2015 11:30 PM

For me, I wait till we have empirical proof of these causally disconnected universes…  confused

Signature 

GdB

The light is on, but there is nobody at home.

7 of 7