3 of 3
Columbia’s medical school urged to fire Dr. Oz
Posted: 07 May 2015 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

Actually licensing is done by the States.  The organizations such as the AMA, with physicians are given the power to make the rules.  But there are typically sunset laws that periodically review licensing laws.  Perhaps legislators should be encouraged to get involved as to whether physicians should be allowed to put woo and profit ahead of science based practice.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 08 May 2015 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  2901
Joined  2007-04-26
TimB - 07 May 2015 06:25 PM

Actually licensing is done by the States.  The organizations such as the AMA, with physicians are given the power to make the rules.  But there are typically sunset laws that periodically review licensing laws.  Perhaps legislators should be encouraged to get involved as to whether physicians should be allowed to put woo and profit ahead of science based practice.

This is a very bad idea. Our legislators have not been the most scientifically literate individuals. I would certainly not give politicians the power to tell physicians what they can and can not say. If there are going to be guidelines, and I think there should be, they should be written by scientists and physicians. They should absolutely not be written by lawyers and lay people.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 08 May 2015 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  4253
Joined  2014-06-20
macgyver - 08 May 2015 02:58 AM

This is a very bad idea. Our legislators have not been the most scientifically literate individuals. I would certainly not give politicians the power to tell physicians what they can and can not say. If there are going to be guidelines, and I think there should be, they should be written by scientists and physicians. They should absolutely not be written by lawyers and lay people.

That’s what we have now and it’s why we have such a mess in the medical community.  It’s also why we have Dr. Oz and other charlatans.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 08 May 2015 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
macgyver - 08 May 2015 02:58 AM

You mean like it is now?  I am not suggesting that the AMA or a like organization be taken out of the rule making role. But they could get a nudge from legislators, re: ethical considerations, if the organization is failing, in this regard.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 15 June 2015 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2012-02-02

It looks like the AMA might be willing to take a stand on this.  http://www.vox.com/2015/6/13/8773695/AMA-dr-oz

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 15 June 2015 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  4253
Joined  2014-06-20
Coldheart Tucker - 15 June 2015 03:47 AM

It looks like the AMA might be willing to take a stand on this.  http://www.vox.com/2015/6/13/8773695/AMA-dr-oz

It’s a step in the right direction, but the AMA has no teeth.

The AMA could, however, issue public reprimands to doctors who act and speak unscientifically.

But the AMA has proven itself to be a paper tiger.

From the article:

The same month, Oz responded to his critics by accusing them of having conflicts of interest and defending his civil liberties. “I know I have irritated some potential allies,” he wrote in Time magazine. “No matter our disagreements, freedom of speech is the most fundamental right we have as Americans. We will not be silenced.”

No one is suggesting he be silenced, but the AMA also has a right to free speech and they should use it to reprimand irresponsible salesmen like “Dr.” Oz.

But will they actually do anything?

Lois

[ Edited: 15 June 2015 04:29 AM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 15 June 2015 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

As Lois already said this is a move in the right direction but the AMA has no legislative or disciplinary power. They are a professional organization not a licensing or governmental agency. There are also few details given since the guidelines have not been created yet. The devil is always in the details. The guidelines could be written so loosely as to be meaningless.

It will be interesting to see if the guidelines are meaningful and if any of the state licensing boards implement the recommendations.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 15 June 2015 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

Just trying to keep this thread on top or more accurately keeping the other thread from coming back to the top.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2015 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

Just trying to keep the vaccine thread buried

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2015 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2012-02-02

Good luck with that.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

3 of 3