Apparently, We’re Doomed!!! (Every 7 Years, like clockwork)
Posted: 19 April 2015 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2015-03-08

I just came across this bit of economics pseudoscience:  The Seven Year Cycle Of Economic Crashes That Everyone Is Talking About

Supposedly, the economy collapses every 7 years, just like clockwork! cool mad  Somehow, the term “confirmation bias” comes to mind.

Anyone care to dissect this one? (After all, “Everyone Is Talking About” it!)

Posted: 19 April 2015 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4251
Joined  2014-06-20
plvt - 19 April 2015 04:00 PM

I just came across this bit of economics pseudoscience:  The Seven Year Cycle Of Economic Crashes That Everyone Is Talking About

Supposedly, the economy collapses every 7 years, just like clockwork! cool mad  Somehow, the term “confirmation bias” comes to mind.

If it were true everyone could prepare for it and lessen its effects.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 20 April 2015 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
LoisL - 19 April 2015 05:57 PM

Lois

I didn’t respond, as it may be a spammer, who seeks (either naively or purposefully) to get an audience to get sucked in to a stock manipulation scheme.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 20 April 2015 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
TimB - 20 April 2015 09:56 AM
LoisL - 19 April 2015 05:57 PM

Lois

I didn’t respond, as it may be a spammer, who seeks (either naively or purposefully) to get an audience to get sucked in to a stock manipulation scheme.

Just the unsupported claim that “everyone is talking about it” is a tipoff that they are selling something. Nobody I know is talking about it.

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2015 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2015-03-08

I’m not a spammer.  I happened to come across this nonsense on the Internet, and though it might be an interesting thing for everyone to pick apart.  If you really want to have fun, read the comments section on that page (I don’t think I’ve ever seen as many conspiracy theories all in on place!).

Posted: 21 April 2015 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
plvt - 20 April 2015 03:20 PM

I’m not a spammer.  I happened to come across this nonsense on the Internet, and though it might be an interesting thing for everyone to pick apart.  If you really want to have fun, read the comments section on that page (I don’t think I’ve ever seen as many conspiracy theories all in on place!).

Glad to hear you were just passing on information. I suugest you pointt hat out in similar posts. It’s too easy for readers to think it was coming from you.

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2015 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
plvt - 20 April 2015 03:20 PM

Oh good. Anyway, it doesn’t appeal to me at the moment, to seek out more evidence of the human capacity for stupidity.  It’s not like one needs to go looking for such. But I do recognize how it can be, as Mr. Spock would say… “fascinating”.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 22 April 2015 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2010-10-09

I just came across this bit of economics pseudoscience:

It has always seemed to me that economics IS pseudoscience.

TFS

Signature 

“Truly I tell you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn’t.”

Posted: 25 April 2015 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15
Theflyingsorcerer - 22 April 2015 10:50 PM

I just came across this bit of economics pseudoscience:

It has always seemed to me that economics IS pseudoscience.

TFS

agreed.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest