1 of 2
Another attempt to put a limit on science
Posted: 28 April 2015 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2009-10-21

New woo alert. New to me anyway. This one is really slipping in through a backdoor.
A mathematician figured out how to use crochet to model negative curvature. Coral does this naturally. So, they are making these art installation. Very cool, brings in the families, gives a reason to think about math, also brings attention to global warming that is killing reefs. No problem.

Until you find out more about this Institute for Figuring. The women behind it are perpetuating old myths about free will, dualism, science vs religion, the usual stuff. I still love Krista Tippet, but I can’t figure out why she can’t get a handle on these concepts.

Posted: 28 April 2015 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

Frailty, thy name is woman. (Although Khaleesi IS coming to Westeros.) 

I think that women have typically had some cultural disadvantages that, in general, lead them to accept inaccurate views of reality (although the inaccurate views, have typically been originated and perpetuated by men).

e.g., A little boy who tells other children what’s what is considered to have leadership qualities.  A little girl, who does the same, is pejoratively considered to be bossy.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 May 2015 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7855
Joined  2009-02-26

It is said that women are more right brain oriented than men (on average), whereas men are more left brain oriented. If this is true, then the following may be of interest as it explains the characteristics of data processing in the right and left hemispheres of the brain. 
http://www.web-us.com/brain/right_left_brain_characteristics.htm

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 May 2015 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

We shouldn’t allow our corpus collsosum to go to waste.  Best to use both hemispheres.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 May 2015 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 25 May 2015 06:43 PM

We shouldn’t allow our corpus collsosum to go to waste.  Best to use both hemispheres.

We all use both hemispheres, but there seems to be a natural mental leaning toward one or the other, which is later expressed in the person’s areas of interest, such as art or sciences or social skills.

[ Edited: 25 May 2015 07:24 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 26 May 2015 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

I thought we covered this.

Posted: 26 May 2015 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  792
Joined  2015-03-29
Lausten - 26 May 2015 06:53 AM

Yes, and if people don’t read the threads, we’ll cover it again.

Posted: 31 May 2015 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2010-10-09

The following is from another article on the same site (LiveScience).

In general, the left hemisphere is dominant in language: processing what you hear and handling most of the duties of speaking. It’s also in charge of carrying out logic and exact mathematical computations. When you need to retrieve a fact, your left brain pulls it from your memory.

The right hemisphere is mainly in charge of spatial abilities, face recognition and processing music. It performs some math, but only rough estimations and comparisons. The brain’s right side also helps us to comprehend visual imagery and make sense of what we see. It plays a role in language, particularly in interpreting context and a person’s tone.

So I’m wondering what the article cited by Lausten supposedly proves?? The only result actually reported is that the amount of activity on both sides of the brain is the same for everyone, while resting. Which demonstrates ...... what, exactly?

TFS

Signature 

“Truly I tell you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn’t.”

Posted: 01 June 2015 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Lausten - 26 May 2015 06:53 AM

I read the link, thank you, very informative. However I have one complaint about the brevity of the presentation.
for instance:

Anderson’s team examined brain scans of participants ages 7 to 29 while they were resting.

IMO, I do not understand why brains “at rest” would show any extraordinary signs, ecxept “being at rest” and “on idle”. Was the intent to measure fantasies, dreams, or to obtain brain activity when exposed to real world images.

It would have been much more convincing if the article included if the subjects at physical rest, but mentally aware were exposed to images of very carefully selected scenes which would certainly produce a response of a specific emotional areas of interest.

Degrees of emotional responses to images external and internal events is the test that should be performed, IMHO. To me it seems entirely possible that the neural systems in both hemispheres are specialized in areas were their neural structure can easily evolve new related neurons, while in the other hemisphere the neural network allows for the formation of other specialized but related functions.

It has nothing to do with intelligentce or prejudial treatment. The question is if it is physically convenient for the brain to have specialized hemispheres? Octopi have brains in their tentacles, because it is convenient for the octopus to have them there.

What has Evolution to say about this? Does our Mirror Neural Network have anything to do with it? The place where empathy and sympathy reside.

[ Edited: 01 June 2015 05:52 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 01 June 2015 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

I’m not going to go rooting around for articles on this, the claim was, “We all use both hemispheres, but there seems to be a natural mental leaning toward one or the other…”. That’s unsubstantiated. Here’s a simple test, how do you measure if someone is right brained or left brained? If you say that they are right brained because they are more creative, that’s no different than saying they are more heart-centered because they are more creative, or any other colloquial saying.

Posted: 01 June 2015 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-10-09
Lausten - 01 June 2015 10:17 AM

I’m not going to go rooting around for articles on this, the claim was, “We all use both hemispheres, but there seems to be a natural mental leaning toward one or the other…”. That’s unsubstantiated.

Seems to me the article I cited substantiates precisely that. Some people are more comfortable with left-brain functions such as numbers, others are more comfortable with right brain functions such as spatial relations. “Creativity” per se doesn’t enter into it.

TFS

Signature 

“Truly I tell you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn’t.”

Posted: 02 June 2015 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Theflyingsorcerer - 01 June 2015 10:30 PM
Lausten - 01 June 2015 10:17 AM

I’m not going to go rooting around for articles on this, the claim was, “We all use both hemispheres, but there seems to be a natural mental leaning toward one or the other…”. That’s unsubstantiated.

Seems to me the article I cited substantiates precisely that. Some people are more comfortable with left-brain functions such as numbers, others are more comfortable with right brain functions such as spatial relations. “Creativity” per se doesn’t enter into it.

TFS

I only see a quote, not a citation. Which just says the two hemispheres do different things. So? One’s comfort level with numbers is not a function of their “left brainedness”, unless you have some other evidence. Otherwise, you’re putting two things together with no causal relationship.

Posted: 03 June 2015 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-10-09

Lausten, my quote comes from the same site you cited. I’m not going to do your homework for you; look it up yourself. Don’t be lazy.

You state, “One’s comfort level with numbers is not a function of their “left-brainedness”.” I’d say it’s precisely that. You ask for other evidence, but your statement is merely a bald assertion; where I come from, bald assertions don’t rate as evidence.

Nice try, but you don’t convince me.

TFS

Signature 

Posted: 03 June 2015 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

You have the burden of proof and you haven’t defined what you mean. We agree that the two hemispheres do different work or work in different ways or however you want to put it, that’s not in dispute. But does “left-brained” mean, and how do you determine if someone is “left-brained”? I don’t need to convince you of anything, you have to answer those two questions.

Posted: 06 June 2015 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-10-09

I don’t have to answer anything. Give it a rest.

TFS

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2015 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Theflyingsorcerer - 06 June 2015 11:03 PM

I don’t have to answer anything. Give it a rest.

TFS

Of course you don’t have to, but not answering leaves open the possibility that you can’t. Other than your attempts so far of course.

1 of 2