3 of 4
Entrails.
Posted: 30 July 2015 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4251
Joined  2014-06-20
BreakUp - 07 May 2015 09:18 PM

As far as I know humans are the only animals that do not consume the entrails of the other animals they eat.  Are there any other carnivores that do not eat the entrails of their prey?  What is the origin of this practice?  I believe that in the Bible there were instructions for the cooking and consuming of the whole animal.  So apparently in ancient times the whole animal was consumed.

When food is scarce people eat the whole animal. When food is more plentiful, they reject the less tasty or “icky” parts. In addition, the entrails spoil faster.

Many people do eat the heart, brain, lungs, kidneys and other organs of animals, and consider them delicacies. And sausages used to always be encased in intestines. Some still are. You might have eaten some without realizing it.

I had a cat once who would catch and eat rats. She always left the entrails, tail, and often the head. Many carnivorous animals in the wild do not eat the whole animal, and it’s the entrails they are most likely to leave.

Lois

[ Edited: 30 July 2015 07:51 PM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 30 July 2015 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  7745
Joined  2009-02-26

Little known fact: Lions and Tigers are are immune to many transmittable diseases, such as mad-cow

“I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion,” he said.  http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/07/29/american-dentist-said-to-have-paid-55000-to-kill-cecil-lion/

Yes , he practices murder in an ethical manner, go figure.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 30 July 2015 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  3594
Joined  2011-08-15

And while we’re on the subject, he slaughtered other “big game” animals as well. You’d think that a rich guy with money to burn would just go to Vegas, take in some shows and gamble to his heart’s content. Why trek through the African wild while paid beaters drive the animal right into your sites so you can kill and skin it? Or you could use Ted Nugent’s lame excuse about thinning the animals because nature will do it anyway so what the hell. Trophy hunting should be banned IMO before we humans drive endangered species into extinction.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 July 2015 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Thevillageatheist - 30 July 2015 07:25 PM

And while we’re on the subject, he slaughtered other “big game” animals as well. You’d think that a rich guy with money to burn would just go to Vegas, take in some shows and gamble to his heart’s content. Why trek through the African wild while paid beaters drive the animal right into your sites so you can kill and skin it? Or you could use Ted Nugent’s lame excuse about thinning the animals because nature will do it anyway so what the hell. Trophy hunting should be banned IMO before we humans drive endangered species into extinction.

Cap’t Jack

Las Vegas and gambling would be considered to be “common” and dull by big game hunter types. They’d rather go out and show the world how “brave” and “tough” they are to kill big game, and the trophies are proof.

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 30 July 2015 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  7745
Joined  2009-02-26
LoisL - 30 July 2015 07:56 PM

Cap’t Jack

Las Vegas and gambling would be considered to be “common” and dull by big game hunter types. They’d rather go out and show the world how “brave” and “tough” they are to kill big game, and the trophies are proof.

Lois

The dark side of human intelligence. Greed and vanity.

Why is a bulls-eye on a target 200 yards away any less demonstration of skill or courage?  Why is an Olympic medal less valuable that a trophy from killing a animal, basically from the window of your car?

Is proof of being able to kill an animal from 200 yrds, proof of skill? Hell no, any asshole with a gun can kill anything, including humans, which also seems to have become a preferred recreational activity.

[ Edited: 30 July 2015 11:12 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 31 July 2015 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  792
Joined  2015-03-29
Write4U - 30 July 2015 09:29 PM

, including humans, which also seems to have become a preferred recreational activity.

I used to read a lot of science fiction, and one of the stories I read was about a rich man who would lure people to his island, and periodically release them into the wild and then hunt them and kill them.

I found the story, “The Most Dangerous Game” and as the story implies hunting humans is more dangerous that hunting other large dangerous game.

Posted: 31 July 2015 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

Someone please write a children’s story called “Cecil, Jr. and the Evil Dentist”

It’s about a cub who narrowly escapes being killed by the new pride leader, after his father who had been pride leader is murdered by an evil dentist. 

(spoiler alert:  read no further if you don’t want to know the ending)

Cecil Jr. grows up to one day have the good fortune to hunt down the evil dentist, kill him over the course of 48 hours, skin him and take his head as a trophy.

And all the lions lived happily ever after.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 31 July 2015 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
TimB - 31 July 2015 04:00 PM

Someone please write a children’s story called “Cecil, Jr. and the Evil Dentist”

It’s about a cub who narrowly escapes being killed by the new pride leader, after his father who had been pride leader is murdered by an evil dentist. 

Cecil Jr. grows up to one day have the good fortune to hunt down the evil dentist, kill him over the course of 48 hours, skin him and take his head as a trophy.

Good, you can write fairytales. Maybe you can get a job with the Republican party. They need more fairytale writers.

Signature 

Posted: 31 July 2015 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  792
Joined  2015-03-29

Except for a few minor details, that’s the “Lion King”, it’s been done as an animated movie.  You need to watch more kids movies.

Posted: 01 August 2015 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
BreakUp - 31 July 2015 09:03 PM

Except for a few minor details, that’s the “Lion King”, it’s been done as an animated movie.  You need to watch more kids movies.

Well, if you guys hated “Cecil, Jr. and the Evil Dentist”, you’re really not going to like the sequel, “Cecil, Jr. and the Evil Poacher”  wherein, the adult Cecil, Jr. tracks down and gruesomely tortures and kills a band of poachers, including the poacher who murdered his uncle, Jericho.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 August 2015 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

Cap’t Jack

Lois

Why is a bulls-eye on a target 200 yards away any less demonstration of skill or courage?  Why is an Olympic medal less valuable that a trophy from killing a animal, basically from the window of your car?

Is proof of being able to kill an animal from 200 yrds, proof of skill? Hell no, any asshole with a gun can kill anything, including humans, which also seems to have become a preferred recreational activity.

Actually the dentist was using a crossbow. The lion didn’t die with the first hit, which is why the lion had to be tracked for miles until the brave white hunter could get a better shot at the injured lion and kill him with an additional barrage of arrows. He is no better than wild animal poachers.

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2015 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
LoisL - 01 August 2015 12:46 PM

Cap’t Jack

Lois

Actually the dentist was using a crossbow. The lion didn’t die with the first hit, which is why the lion had to be tracked for miles until the brave white hunter could get a better shot at the injured lion and kill him with an additional barrage of arrows. He is no better than wild animal poachers.

Yeah, I heard that when Palmer first shot Cecil, it was getting dark, so they waited until the next day to hunt him down, finish him off, try to hide the tracking device that Cecil was wearing, skin him, and cut off his head. 

And if you haven’t heard, now a poacher has killed Cecil’s brother, Jericho.  For real.  No fairy tale.

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2015 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
LoisL - 31 July 2015 08:44 PM

Good, you can write fairytales. Maybe you can get a job with the Republican party. They need more fairytale writers.

If I were to be a professional writer, I think that my talents, and disposition would be more suited to writing scenarios and scripts for something like the WWE, for there, the audience, for the most part, realizes that they are suspending disbelief, in order to be entertained.  I don’t care to have an audience who would think that my fiction is reality.

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2015 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
TimB - 01 August 2015 01:24 PM
LoisL - 01 August 2015 12:46 PM

Cap’t Jack

Lois

Yeah, I heard that when Palmer first shot Cecil, it was getting dark, so they waited until the next day to hunt him down, finish him off, try to hide the tracking device that Cecil was wearing, skin him, and cut off his head. 

And if you haven’t heard, now a poacher has killed Cecil’s brother, Jericho.  For real.  No fairy tale.

I may have jumped the gun.  It may be that it was another lion and not Jericho that the poacher’s murdered. 
https://www.thedodo.com/cecil-lion-cubs-may-be-killed-1271961231.html

but then,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3181277/Saved-Cecil-lion-s-cubs-protected-BROTHER-fears-evil-rival-Jericho-kill-pride-says-Oxford-University-expert.html

[ Edited: 01 August 2015 01:58 PM by TimB ]
 Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2015 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Coldheart Tucker - 09 May 2015 07:30 PM
BreakUp - 09 May 2015 02:05 PM
Coldheart Tucker - 09 May 2015 10:31 AM

Observe the cholesterol content.

porkbrainsbig.gif

I haven’t seen any of those in the local grocery store around here.  Based on the cholesterol that would be just shy of 12 servings of the amount of cholesterol for one day.  I’m glad I don’t have any problem with cholesterol, I eat what ever I want and don’t have to worry about it.  Are they expensive? I’d like to try some.

$16 for two cans on Amazon, including shipping.  Not something that I’d want to even consider, given that diseases similar Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) have been reported in people who’ve ingested pork brains.  If Gawd wanted us to eat brains, he’d have made them easier to get to.

No, it’s cow brains that pass on BSE. It’s what causes mad cow disease. I haven’t heard that pigs get it, though it’s possible. I wouldn’t eat brains from any animal. In fact I don’t knowingly eat organ meat at all. (It may be in sausages, for all I know, though.)

Lois

Signature 

3 of 4