Try this
Posted: 19 May 2015 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/01/25/a-philosopher-walks-into-a-coffee-shop/

They are take offs on philosophers going to Starbucks. I like the Ayn Rand one. Some I don’t get, however. Or they’re not particularly funny.

See what you think.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 23 May 2015 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

To understand most of these jokes, one would need to be pretty knowledgeable in the field of philosophy, and ALSO have a sense of humor.  Good luck finding a large population of such folks.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 23 May 2015 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
TimB - 23 May 2015 01:05 PM

To understand most of these jokes, one would need to be pretty knowledgeable in the field of philosophy, and ALSO have a sense of humor.  Good luck finding a large population of such folks.

Most would understand some of them and you could look others up to find clues.  One you start, it’s like a game or a puzzle.
I particularly enjoyed the Ayn Rand one.  Perfect parody.  Also Thomas Malthus. I missed a lot, but a friend provided this to explain a few of them.

Parmenides is about change being impossible and existence
being eternal. Pythagoras, which is a weak joke because it has nothing
to do with philosophy, is about the story that he was not only a
vegetarian but eschewed beans too. Thales said that water is the first
principle. Leibniz and Newton both claimed to have discovered calculus
first.

Kant kept diaries where he noted the exact time to the minute that he spent doing various things.
Lois

[ Edited: 23 May 2015 10:05 PM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

Posted: 24 May 2015 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
LoisL - 23 May 2015 09:57 PM

Kant kept diaries where he noted the exact time to the minute that he spent doing various things.

That sounds weird at first glance, but it might be interesting to a modern day behavior analyst to review those diaries. 

You never know where you might find knowledge that could be useful.  Perhaps I should take some time to learn enough to appreciate these philosophy jokes.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 May 2015 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
TimB - 24 May 2015 12:12 PM
LoisL - 23 May 2015 09:57 PM

That sounds weird at first glance, but it might be interesting to a modern day behavior analyst to review those diaries. 

You never know where you might find knowledge that could be useful.  Perhaps I should take some time to learn enough to appreciate these philosophy jokes.

Parodies are a perfect way to reveal aspects of their philosophies that we might have missed just reading their works. Very often philosophical works are so dry and dense that most people give up. Throw in humor and it can make things much clearer and more fascinating to contemplate.

Lois

Signature