1 of 3
Pop Culture You Don’t Like
Posted: 30 June 2015 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24

What are some pop - cultural things that it seems everybody likes, but you don’t.  Movies, music, TV, books, fashion, sports are all game.

Remember not to include obscure things that you may like

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 30 June 2015 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

For myself….

Movies Lord of the rings, comic book franchise movies, Forrest Gump, Quentin Tarantino movies, most WW2 movies.

TV Star Trek, “American idol” type shows, most stand up comedians, Law and Order, Stephen Colbert

Music The Beatles, most hip-hop, most country music, Mozart

Books The great Russian novelists (Tolstoy, Gogol, Gorky, etc.) Tolkien, Neil Gaiman’s work, Christopher Hitchens’ work

Fashion Flip flops, tattoos (especially on women), dark plastic frame glasses, skinny jeans, baseball caps

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 30 June 2015 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  792
Joined  2015-03-29

There are so many but I’ll name a few, 

I haven’t watched any of the “Game of Thrones”  or the “Twilight” series, or any recent movie.  I wait till they are out on DVD, and then only watch them if I remember them.

I don’t like Rap music.  I like classical music, including Opera. 

I wear what is comfortable, not what is in style.  Flannel shirts and black relaxed fit jeans. 

I drive an old pickup truck, because I can haul stuff in it. 

I like model railroading, and I don’t know what the “In” hobbies are.

I don’t watch sports at all, I didn’t even watch the super bowl.  I will occasionally watch a sports car, or formula 1 race, if I can get it on one of the few TV channels that I can get.

Posted: 01 July 2015 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2012-04-25
mid atlantic - 30 June 2015 08:20 PM

For myself….

Movies Lord of the rings, comic book franchise movies, Forrest Gump, Quentin Tarantino movies, most WW2 movies.

TV Star Trek, “American idol” type shows, most stand up comedians, Law and Order, Stephen Colbert

Music The Beatles, most hip-hop, most country music, Mozart

Books The great Russian novelists (Tolstoy, Gogol, Gorky, etc.) Tolkien, Neil Gaiman’s work, Christopher Hitchens’ work

Fashion Flip flops, tattoos (especially on women), dark plastic frame glasses, skinny jeans, baseball caps

Well i can see why I rarely agree with your posts in CFI…you don’t like Star Trek and you don’t like the Beatles. Star Trek boils down to portraying a future Utopian society where everyone is equal and merit is the rule. And the Beatles, well if they came on the scene today, they’d STILL be considered ahead of their time. Some of your other choices, ya I agree (except for Colbert).

Posted: 01 July 2015 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2012-04-25

My choices:
- Music: Beyonce. I just don’t see the appeal. Her music is mediocre at best.
- Sports: All professional corporate sports…except maybe hockey.
- TV: reality shows, Game of Thrones…can’t make it through even 30 seconds of it.
- Books: Harry Potter. So arbitrary it makes me wince.

Posted: 01 July 2015 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2015-03-29
CuthbertJ - 01 July 2015 10:39 AM

My choices:
...except maybe hockey.

Many years ago A friend of mine went to Hershey Pa. to watch the fights, and a hockey game broke out.

Posted: 02 July 2015 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-11-06

If you had to choose between skinny jeans or baggy jeans, which one? I am so glad the “baggy clothes” have gone away and I hope they never ever come back! And I am 28.

Posted: 02 July 2015 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14

Vampires.  I’ll never understand how they went from being horrible monsters to sex symbols. 

Zombies.  Ditto.

Reality shows.

Auto racing, boat racing.  Racing on foot I can understand, that’s pitting your own athletic ability against a group of others, plus it’s good exercise.  But spending thousands of dollars building a car with a souped up engine, just so you can buzz around and around a track with a bunch of other people, polluting the air while people scream at you?  It makes even less sense to do all that on the water, where you’re also disturbing all the creatures who live there.

Posted: 02 July 2015 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2015-03-29
Advocatus - 02 July 2015 07:32 AM

Vampires.  I’ll never understand how they went from being horrible monsters to sex symbols. 

Zombies.  Ditto.

Reality shows.

Auto racing, boat racing.  Racing on foot I can understand, that’s pitting your own athletic ability against a group of others, plus it’s good exercise.  But spending thousands of dollars building a car with a souped up engine, just so you can buzz around and around a track with a bunch of other people, polluting the air while people scream at you?  It makes even less sense to do all that on the water, where you’re also disturbing all the creatures who live there.

Well just to play “Devils Advocate” there are a lot of technical advances that have come out of competition, that are now used on cars that are in everyday use on the road.  To extend this just a bit farther, many of the technical advances that are now in everyday use have come out of the military, for use in war.  The space program is another example of the development of technology that ordinary people now use.  Without these areas that force technical development, technology would advance at a much slower rate, of course that has it’s down side and it’s up side as well. 

One last point, technology itself is neutral, neither good nor bad, it is how it is applied by people that determine whether the particular application is good or bad.

Posted: 02 July 2015 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1594
Joined  2010-04-22

Fancy by Iggy Azalea. What an ugly load of crap.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 04 July 2015 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
TromboneAndrew - 02 July 2015 03:27 PM

Yep.

That girl is all around terrible.

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2015 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
FinallyDecided - 02 July 2015 05:57 AM

If you had to choose between skinny jeans or baggy jeans, which one? I am so glad the “baggy clothes” have gone away and I hope they never ever come back! And I am 28.

Baggy.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2015 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1594
Joined  2010-04-22
mid atlantic - 04 July 2015 09:54 PM
TromboneAndrew - 02 July 2015 03:27 PM

Yep.

That girl is all around terrible.

I meant the tune. I don’t really know anything about the girl.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 05 July 2015 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

I was in a place for a few minutes yesterday that had a professional Food Eating Contest on TV
with a sports announcer giving a blow by puke narrative of the thing.

Talk about a most disgusting low point in human society.

It was like driving by a crash scene, with disgusted eye’s glued on the Boob Tube, but I sure didn’t slow down either
as I took my glass of wine out of there and onto the patio where the scene was much more appealing.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 05 July 2015 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15
mid atlantic - 04 July 2015 09:57 PM
FinallyDecided - 02 July 2015 05:57 AM

Baggy.

like hanging below your ass   grrr

Many years ago I was working on a job site where they hired a couple temps. for clean up. 
The one guy had such baggy pants that he’s cleaning up construction debris with one hand
while literally holding up his pants up with the other. 
Then he was surprised that the super told him not to come back the next day.

Now that was funny.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 05 July 2015 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
citizenschallenge.pm - 05 July 2015 12:50 PM

Many years ago I was working on a job site where they hired a couple temps. for clean up. 
The one guy had such baggy pants that he’s cleaning up construction debris with one hand
while literally holding up his pants up with the other. 
Then he was surprised that the super told him not to come back the next day.

Now that was funny.

Haha, yeah I grew up around sagging.

Signature 

1 of 3