Posted: 05 July 2015 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24
citizenschallenge.pm - 05 July 2015 12:50 PM
mid atlantic - 04 July 2015 09:57 PM
FinallyDecided - 02 July 2015 05:57 AM
mid atlantic - 30 June 2015 08:20 PM

Fashion Flip flops, tattoos (especially on women), dark plastic frame glasses, skinny jeans, baseball caps

If you had to choose between skinny jeans or baggy jeans, which one? I am so glad the “baggy clothes” have gone away and I hope they never ever come back! And I am 28.

Baggy.

like hanging below your ass   grrr

Pants like these are what I’m talking about mens-baggy-jeans.jpg

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 08 July 2015 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1307
Joined  2005-01-14

I don’t understand the current fascination with crime.  I liked the original “Law and Order” (still do in fact), but all the proliferating spin-offs and hangers-on are just depressing.  When was the last time we heard about an honest-to-goodness serial killer?  But on “Criminal Minds” the run into one every week.  And the writers have to keep inventing ever more horrible crimes and conspiracies to keep the viewers watching.  Then there’s the various forensics shows.  I never particularly liked the original CSI, much less its followers (although I do enjoy watching David Caruso do his tough-guy act).  Real DNA testing takes days or weeks because there are usually backlogs.  But they give the impression they just run it off on a computer like Star Trek.  I don’t doubt that some of the technology is feasible, I just don’t imagine a real law-enforcement agency would spend that much effort on every single case that comes along.  I remember one they built a full-size mannequin out of ballistic gel so they could test some theory they had.  Really?  Who pays for this stuff?

Posted: 08 July 2015 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Advocatus - 08 July 2015 07:33 AM

I don’t understand the current fascination with crime.  I liked the original “Law and Order” (still do in fact), but all the proliferating spin-offs and hangers-on are just depressing.  When was the last time we heard about an honest-to-goodness serial killer?  But on “Criminal Minds” the run into one every week.  And the writers have to keep inventing ever more horrible crimes and conspiracies to keep the viewers watching.  Then there’s the various forensics shows.  I never particularly liked the original CSI, much less its followers (although I do enjoy watching David Caruso do his tough-guy act).  Real DNA testing takes days or weeks because there are usually backlogs.  But they give the impression they just run it off on a computer like Star Trek.  I don’t doubt that some of the technology is feasible, I just don’t imagine a real law-enforcement agency would spend that much effort on every single case that comes along.  I remember one they built a full-size mannequin out of ballistic gel so they could test some theory they had.  Really?  Who pays for this stuff?

Wasn’t there a “CSI” episode where they went into space? LOL

Yeah, those shows are wacky. Also the forensic scientists always carry guns and can make arrests; that’s total BS.

I don’t understand the current fascination with crime.

Nothing new here, crime has always been fascinating to most people - the weirder the better, it seems.

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 20 July 2015 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1307
Joined  2005-01-14

I like mysteries, and I like police dramas (to a certain extent).  It’s just that lately they seem to wallow in the gory details of crime, especially the violence.  I guess I’m a softie, especially when women are the victims.  When I see a story where a woman gets beat up, tied up and put in a cage, I change the channel.  This goes hand-in-hand with the current zombie craze too.  I think I watched about three episodes of “Walking Dead” and lost interest.  I understand it’s going on five seasons.

Posted: 20 July 2015 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  792
Joined  2015-03-29

My wife and I like to watch some of the Police Dramas, the original CSI was good for awhile, and I understand that a real crime isn’t solved in an hour show, the writers had to take some liberties or the timeline would get too boring.  I think that the real draw for me is when solving the crime, is a variation of a Sherlock Holmes style of solving crimes.  This last season it was “Castle” and “Forever” but we were watching less for the crime solving than the dynamics of the stars of the show.  The one show that I am recording is the original “Dr Who” series that is playing on RTV.  It is unfortunate that there are commercials. I had most of them recorded on VHS from a PBS station that did not have commercials, but I no longer have those tapes.

Posted: 20 July 2015 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2014-06-20
BreakUp - 20 July 2015 09:10 AM

My wife and I like to watch some of the Police Dramas, the original CSI was good for awhile, and I understand that a real crime isn’t solved in an hour show, the writers had to take some liberties or the timeline would get too boring.  I think that the real draw for me is when solving the crime, is a variation of a Sherlock Holmes style of solving crimes.  This last season it was “Castle” and “Forever” but we were watching less for the crime solving than the dynamics of the stars of the show.  The one show that I am recording is the original “Dr Who” series that is playing on RTV.  It is unfortunate that there are commercials. I had most of them recorded on VHS from a PBS station that did not have commercials, but I no longer have those tapes.

Another thing is that you seldom see a program where the crime remains unsolved. It would never sell.

Sometimes documemtaries focus on unsolved crimes, but almost never fictional detective stories.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 20 July 2015 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  834
Joined  2009-07-17

Let’s see… ‘Popular’ things I don’t like:

- Rap music
- ‘Reality’ TV shows
- Remakes of movies that were just fine the first time. wink

That’s all I can think of at the moment. I guess I tend to focus on what I like and just ignore what I don’t like.  cheese

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 20 July 2015 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2015-03-29
LoisL - 20 July 2015 02:01 PM

Another thing is that you seldom see a program where the crime remains unsolved. It would never sell.

Lois

A police officer once told me, “We usually don’t catch the smart ones.” so the programs that show the detectives catching a really bright criminal, are probably not very realistic.

Posted: 20 July 2015 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

I can’t stand Bro Country. And I couldn’t watch the TV show Friends.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 21 July 2015 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

Rap music and reality shows (especially) would make my top list also.  I would add traditional sitcoms.  I would include ballet and opera, but I’m not sure they qualify as particularly “popular”, anyway.  Oh, and of course, FOX News, and any conservative radio talk shows.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 July 2015 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2015-03-29
TimB - 21 July 2015 02:08 PM

Rap music and reality shows (especially) would make my top list also.  I would add traditional sitcoms. I would include ballet and opera, but I’m not sure they qualify as particularly “popular”, anyway.  Oh, and of course, FOX News, and any conservative radio talk shows.

I think you’re right, Ballet and Opera aren’t particularly pop culture, though some Yuppies will attend to look sophisticated to others, so it’s OK to like them and still not violate the rules of the thread.

Posted: 21 July 2015 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
BreakUp - 21 July 2015 02:14 PM
TimB - 21 July 2015 02:08 PM

Rap music and reality shows (especially) would make my top list also.  I would add traditional sitcoms. I would include ballet and opera, but I’m not sure they qualify as particularly “popular”, anyway.  Oh, and of course, FOX News, and any conservative radio talk shows.

I think you’re right, Ballet and Opera aren’t particularly pop culture, though some Yuppies will attend to look sophisticated to others, so it’s OK to like them and still not violate the rules of the thread.

Nah, Ballet and Opera definitely do not qualify as pop culture in any way, shape, or form.

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2015 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

Some others that just popped into my head:

Miley Cyrus—not talented in anyway.

The Kardashians—also not talented, but at least they are good looking.

Carl Sagan—even though I’m an atheist, I hate everything about Sagan. Backpfeifengesicht

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2015 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 21 July 2015 09:19 PM

Carl Sagan—even though I’m an atheist, I hate everything about Sagan. Backpfeifengesicht

I always knew you were a statistical outlier. Luckily for society Sagan inspired many people to study science. His book The Dragons of Eden helped me get over my fascination with religion and open my mind to reality.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 22 July 2015 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
mid atlantic - 21 July 2015 09:19 PM

Some others that just popped into my head:

Miley Cyrus—not talented in anyway.

The Kardashians—also not talented, but at least they are good looking.

Kardashian’s are good looking?  Oh that reminds, me… songs like “I Like Big Butts” - I don’t care for.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

2 of 3