[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 31 July 2015 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
BreakUp - 31 July 2015 09:13 PM
Thevillageatheist - 30 July 2015 05:27 PM

Political humor just doesn’t seem to equate well with Jeff’s “redneck” jokes. Besides, the humor is self-deprecating as the article mentions and Americans in general and Southerners in particular get the punch lines. Actually, I find his jokes on the Southern accent even funnier, e.g. Jeetyet? (Did you eat yet?), and ware a-go in’ ta Monunems (we are going to Mom and relatives homes). I guess you could substitute “Jihad” for “jeeeha”, nah, just doesn’t have the same meaning.

Cap’t Jack

My problem is that with most of his jokes, I would be putting my hand up, but I was never a redneck in the original meaning of the term.  Jeff Foxworthy has changed the meaning of the term to suit his own agenda.

But he is not the author!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/foxworthy.asp

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 01 August 2015 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 31 July 2015 07:56 PM
TimB - 31 July 2015 04:28 PM
Write4U - 31 July 2015 12:44 AM

I do have a definitive staement by George Carlin on the subject.  (warning crude language)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

Ah!  One of my favorite kinds of humor. i.e., religion-deprecating humor.

I never offer try to offer this kind of humor gratuitously and just for insult. Here, I do think it is appropriate in context of the discussion.

But, as atheist, I agree 100% with the observation.

In the interest of full self disclosure:

I am all for self-deprecating humor.

I am all for humor that deprecates others who are deserving of being scornfully laughed at. 

I am not for humor that deprecates individuals or groups of individuals that don’t clearly deserve to be scornfully laughed at.  (e.g., I would change the word “Muslim” in the list above, to, perhaps, “Isis member”).

I am all for humor that deprecates religion, to the extent that religion deserves to be scornfully laughed at, which IMO, is a lot.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 August 2015 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  792
Joined  2015-03-29
LoisL - 31 July 2015 10:13 PM
BreakUp - 31 July 2015 09:13 PM

My problem is that with most of his jokes, I would be putting my hand up, but I was never a redneck in the original meaning of the term.  Jeff Foxworthy has changed the meaning of the term to suit his own agenda.

But he is not the author!

I was referring to Jeff Foxworthy’s jokes that he delivers in his routines, I would suspect that he has writers working for him.

Posted: 01 August 2015 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7854
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 01 August 2015 12:47 PM
Write4U - 31 July 2015 07:56 PM
TimB - 31 July 2015 04:28 PM
Write4U - 31 July 2015 12:44 AM

I do have a definitive staement by George Carlin on the subject.  (warning crude language)

Ah!  One of my favorite kinds of humor. i.e., religion-deprecating humor.

I never offer try to offer this kind of humor gratuitously and just for insult. Here, I do think it is appropriate in context of the discussion.

But, as atheist, I agree 100% with the observation.

In the interest of full self disclosure:

I am all for self-deprecating humor.

I am all for humor that deprecates others who are deserving of being scornfully laughed at. 

I am not for humor that deprecates individuals or groups of individuals that don’t clearly deserve to be scornfully laughed at.  (e.g., I would change the word “Muslim” in the list above, to, perhaps, “Isis member”).

I am all for humor that deprecates religion, to the extent that religion deserves to be scornfully laughed at, which IMO, is a lot.

Oh, I don’t hesitate to use this particuarly insightful routine, but as I said I offer it only in context of a discussion.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 August 2015 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

Here’s a Foxworthy style line:

If you meet Chechnya girls online, send them plane fare to come be your brides in Syria, then never hear from them again…
you might be an Isis member.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

2 of 2