G’day from an Aussie skeptic
Posted: 21 February 2007 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-02-21

G’day y’all from sunny Sydney, Australia.

Brett’s my name. Mid 40s, married, 2 teenage kids.

Never been christened and been living as a heathen most of my life.
When I was young I was very idealistic but then as a young teenager my life was turned upside down and I became a cynic.. big cynic!!! Which BTW is why I believe that behind most cynics lays a disillusioned idealist.

Today I’m more of a skeptic but I still maintain a healthy cynicism towards some sections of society. I think that’s part and parcel of being an Ausssie.

Anyway, been enjoying listening to the podcasts here and I look forward to the occasional chat with you all on this forum.

Bye for now.
Brett.

Signature 

Seeking truth is a never ending search for possibilities.
Finding truth is an end to that search.

Posted: 22 February 2007 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Re: G’day from an Aussie skeptic

Welcome, Doubter.

[quote author=“Doubter”]When I was young I was very idealistic but then as a young teenager my life was turned upside down and I became a cynic.. big cynic!!! Which BTW is why I believe that behind most cynics lays a disillusioned idealist.

Very wise observation, quite true I think. I would advise against both idealism (of the romantic sort that actually believes ideals are perfectly realizable) and cynicism (which I take to be the belief that every human motive is for evil). As you note, these do tend to follow one another.

In their place I would advise a healthy realism. That is, an attitude that looks at reality straight in the face and takes account of the good and evil in it, and tries to do the best we can in an imperfect world.

Of course, the scientific method is a good method for achieving a realist vision of reality ... as much as anyone can, at any rate.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos