1 of 2
Jon Stewart
Posted: 09 August 2015 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

I have mostly only very positive thoughts about Jon Stewart.  Mostly.  I will just say that I think that his contribution to The Daily Show, IMO, constituted a national treasure.  He is not dead and The Daily Show is not dead.  But The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is, now, history. 

Life changes.  Life goes on.  That is the way of things. (I say with some sadness.)

Anyone else have anything to say about Jon Stewart?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 09 August 2015 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4231
Joined  2006-11-28

I’ve been a big fan for years and will miss him on the show.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 09 August 2015 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24

He was tolerable during the first few years on the show. When he became really famous, I lost interest.

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 09 August 2015 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2012-02-02

I wish he’d have stayed on until after the election.  We really need him pointing out the stupidity of American politics at this time.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 09 August 2015 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4074
Joined  2009-10-21

It’s one thing to be good at what you do, but he did what very few do, that’s developing others. Carson and Sullivan did that more in the background but he did it as part of his show. Younger people today won’t realize his impact, but they’ll experience it.

Posted: 09 August 2015 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4272
Joined  2014-06-20
TimB - 09 August 2015 01:59 PM

I have mostly only very positive thoughts about Jon Stewart.  Mostly.  I will just say that I think that his contribution to The Daily Show, IMO, constituted a national treasure.  He is not dead and The Daily Show is not dead.  But The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is, now, history. 

Life changes.  Life goes on.  That is the way of things. (I say with some sadness.)

Anyone else have anything to say about Jon Stewart?

He is unique. I’ll miss him, too.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 09 August 2015 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
Coldheart Tucker - 09 August 2015 04:30 PM

I wish he’d have stayed on until after the election.  We really need him pointing out the stupidity of American politics at this time.

I agree. One would think he would have wanted to do the election, which makes me wonder, could he be seriously unwell? Is that why he chose now, just as the election is heating up, to retire from the show? In fact he seems to be retiring altogether, though he denies it. Nevertheless he has not announced any plans beyond “writing” and “maybe” returning to stand-up comedy. He is apparently going to live on a farm in New Jersey, the state he grew up in. That seems unusual for a man of his age, only 54. On the other hand, maybe he just got tired of doing the show, which might have been more of a grind than it appeared to us to be. 

Lois

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2015 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2012-02-02
LoisL - 09 August 2015 10:18 PM

I agree. One would think he would have wanted to do the election, which makes me wonder, could he be seriously unwell? Is that why he chose now, just as the election is heating up, to retire from the show? In fact he seems to be retiring altogether, though he denies it. Nevertheless he has not announced any plans beyond “writing” and “maybe” returning to stand-up comedy. He is apparently going to live on a farm in New Jersey, the state he grew up in. That seems unusual for a man of his age, only 54. On the other hand, maybe he just got tired of doing the show, which might have been more of a grind than it appeared to us to be. 

Lois

He’s said that he felt like he was doing the same material over and over, with nothing changing. I can understand how he feels that way, but I just would have liked him to swallow it for a little longer.

Signature 

“There will come a time when it isn’t ‘They’re spying on me through my phone’ anymore. Eventually, it will be ‘My phone is spying on me’.” ― Philip K. Dick

The Atheist in the Trailer Park

Posted: 10 August 2015 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Coldheart Tucker - 10 August 2015 04:50 AM

Lois

He’s said that he felt like he was doing the same material over and over, with nothing changing. I can understand how he feels that way, but I just would have liked him to swallow it for a little longer.

My thinking is that he was burned out.  And this was due to, as you say to doing the same thing for a long time, but I also suspect due to some ambivalence.  I think that he would have liked for things to have changed more than they have.  But, at the same time, I think that he did not want to feel responsible for the impact.  And he did have an impact (on our society) with the show, just maybe, not always what he would have liked. 

His final message was “If you smell something (i.e., political bullshit), say something.”

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 10 August 2015 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

I agree. One would think he would have wanted to do the election, which makes me wonder, could he be seriously unwell?

You mean the election that’s 15 months away?
Yeah sure.
Everyone thought the Grateful Dead was retiring in October 1974 when they put their Wall Of Sound to rest.  cool smirk

The world is full of surprises.

Bet we haven’t heard the last of Jon.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 17 August 2015 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Jon Stewart will be back in the public eye sooner than expected. Instead of hosting a show whose subject is utterly ridiculous (American politics) he will be hosting the 2nd biggest event of the year for World Wrestling Entertainment: “Summer Slam”.  Although WWE is more straightforward and less hypocritical in its narratives and machinations than is American politics, I imagine that Jon will add his unique showmanship capacities to the Entertainment, while not having to be concerned as to whether his efforts are particularly productive or destructive to our society at large.

(I imagine that he is doing this, primarily, in order to impress his young son, who is a WWE fan.)

Signature 

Posted: 17 August 2015 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3594
Joined  2011-08-15

I’ll definitely miss him and most especially his ability to show the absurdity of the media circuses in general and those ever present pundits (or so called pundits) in particular. I will particularly miss his smacking around the neo-con blowhards like Beck, O’Reilly, Hannity and Limbaugh. His impression of Beck’s gloom and doom apocryphal rants were beyond hilarious! He left far too soon; who’s going to expose Trump’s insane bloviating now?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 August 2015 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 17 August 2015 06:17 PM

I’ll definitely miss him and most especially his ability to show the absurdity of the media circuses in general and those ever present pundits (or so called pundits) in particular. I will particularly miss his smacking around the neo-con blowhards like Beck, O’Reilly, Hannity and Limbaugh. His impression of Beck’s gloom and doom apocryphal rants were beyond hilarious! He left far too soon; who’s going to expose Trump’s insane bloviating now?

Cap’t Jack

Maybe Jon left because he knew that he could not compete with Trump’s natural ability to parody himself. I mean Trump is to a political satirist, as sugar is to a starving sweet toothed diabetic.  It’s just too much.  One could be overwhelmed and die simply from the sheer volume of material that Trump supplies.

Signature 

Posted: 17 August 2015 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2901
Joined  2007-04-26
TimB - 17 August 2015 06:56 PM

Maybe Jon left because he knew that he could not compete with Trump’s natural ability to parody himself. I mean Trump is to a political satirist, as sugar is to a starving sweet toothed diabetic.  It’s just too much.  One could be overwhelmed and die simply from the sheer volume of material that Trump supplies.

Its funny. I was just thinking that Trump may have found the prefect defense against the inevitable Saturday Night Live parodies. He left them with nothing to do. How could you possible come up with a skit that would be any more hilarious than his own speeches. I have to believe that the SNL writers are all sitting around right now looking at each other with blank stares. Maybe that’s a subject for an SNL skit.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 18 August 2015 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3594
Joined  2011-08-15

I don’t know Tim, there’s a lot of material there to munch on but I think Stweart saw as did Seinfeld that one should go out on top. I just hope his sucessor continues to entertain while fighting the good fight so to speak. As a political satirist he was the best IMO. Meantime we can watch the Trump show while it lasts! He’s leading the media around on a leash, especially MSNBC and Fox.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 August 2015 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
macgyver - 17 August 2015 07:03 PM
TimB - 17 August 2015 06:56 PM

Its funny. I was just thinking that Trump may have found the prefect defense against the inevitable Saturday Night Live parodies. He left them with nothing to do. How could you possible come up with a skit that would be any more hilarious than his own speeches. I have to believe that the SNL writers are all sitting around right now looking at each other with blank stares. Maybe that’s a subject for an SNL skit.

I hope Trump doesn’t wind up on a Fox News version of The Jon Stewart Show. Well, it wouldn’t fly, anyway. Satire needs an intelligent audience.

Lois

Signature 

1 of 2