Advice
Posted: 25 February 2007 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-01-15

Hi I am looking for some suggestions/advice on how to handle something that happened at my daughters school a couple of months ago.  First of all let me tell you that she is in 9th grade and goes to a charter shcool that actually encourages freethinking. Unfortunately, the "freethinking" that has been encouraged by volunteer parents has been in a "club" atmosphere and has centered around mysticism. Mostly of a new-age variety.  Recently the instructor had the kids watch a dvd called "The Secret". It explains how anyone can you use their positive energy to make the things they want happen.  Here is the link:  http://whatisthesecret.tv/  .  My daughter, much to her credit sees it for the silliness that it is, but there are some students that seem to take it at face value. The long and the short of it is that I want to combat this stuff with reason and skepticism.  I am not a public speaker and have no credentials to expound on the wonders of reason and skepticism.  If push came to shove, I might acutally try to do my best Carl Sagan, but let’s face it, it would be a pale, sad facsimile. I want to engage their critical thinking, is this impossible?  By the way, the Director of the school sees it as I do and said that I can conduct any seminar I wish. What’s next?
Thanks for any help.    :?:
———-
WWSD   :  What Would Sagan Do?

‹‹ University of Oklahoma???      How do I... ››