1 of 2
Ethical Humanism core values
Posted: 30 November 2015 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  387
Joined  2015-11-28

Ethical Humanist Core Values
Ethics is my religion, Every person is important and unique, Every person deserves to be treated fairly and kindly, I can learn from everyone, I am part of this earth; I cherish it and all the life upon it, I learn from the world around me by using senses, mind, and feelings, I am a member of the world community, which depends on the cooperation of all people for peace and justice, I can learn from the past to build for the future, I am free to question, I am free to choose what I believe, I accept responsibility for my choices and actions, I strive to live my core values.

Posted: 30 November 2015 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

Other than “Ethics is my religion.”  I like it.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 30 November 2015 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4332
Joined  2014-06-20
TimB - 30 November 2015 07:00 PM

Technically, religion does not have to be based on a belief in god or the supernatural. It can be an agreement to follow certain ethical principles, without theism. Therefore, humanism can be called a religion, but atheism cannot. Atheism has no set of standards. It is a statement regarding non-belief in god(s), nothing else. By the same token theism is not a religion—it is only a statement on belief in god(s).

My preference is to not use the word “religion” when it comes to humanism or any secular stance because most people will misdefine it as based on belief in God or the supernatural. But as the statement uses the word, it does not require those beliefs.

[ Edited: 01 December 2015 02:07 PM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 30 November 2015 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
LoisL - 30 November 2015 07:23 PM

Technically, religion does not have to be based on a belief in god or the supernatural. It can be an agreement to follow certain ethical principles, without theism. Therefore, humanism can be called a religion, but atheism cannot. Atheism has no set of standards. It is a statement regarding non-belief in god(s), nithing else. By the same token theismnis not a religion—it is only a ststement on belief in god(s).

My preference is to not use the word “religion” when it comes to humanism or any secular stance because most people will misdefine it as based on belief in God or the supernatural. But as the statement uses the word, it does not require those beliefs.

I prefer to not be religious.  I think that it is important to follow certain ethical principals, but am wary of anything that smacks of dogmatism.  And religion is too associated with dogma for my tastes.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 30 November 2015 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2015-11-28

TimB exactly. I don’t regret joining a Humanist group. They are all great people. I rarely go to their Sunday meetings anymore:too much like church for me.

[ Edited: 01 December 2015 07:03 AM by AMH ]

Posted: 01 December 2015 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2015-11-28

Ethical Humanism is purely a religion “of this world”
Ethical Humanists believe in the religious philosophy known as Ethical Humanism also called Ethical Culture. This moral faith is based on respect for the dignity and worth of all human life. It is a practical, working religion devoted to ethical living, without imposing ritual obligations or prescribing beliefs about the supernatural.
Thus Ethical Humanism is purely a religion “of this world”
Edward L. Ericson

Posted: 01 December 2015 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14

Hi Pointpath.
One of the most recurring items on this forum, and more broadly in human behavior, is the desire
to categorize. To find “appropriate” labels for things.
What if we had 3 people?
1. a Humanist, Catholic nun
2. an atheist person who subscribed to your Core Values
3. and a person who just tried to live as kindly and thoughtful as possible without giving much thought to any ethos

All three of these people lived on par with one another as far as acting kindly and thoughtfully.

Does coming up with labels for them make any difference?

[ Edited: 01 December 2015 08:20 AM by VYAZMA ]
 Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 01 December 2015 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
VYAZMA - 01 December 2015 08:17 AM

Hi Pointpath.
One of the most recurring items on this forum, and more broadly in human behavior, is the desire
What if we had 3 people?
3. and a person who just tried to live as kindly and thoughtful as possible without giving much thought to any ethos

All three of these people lived on par with one another as far as acting kindly and thoughtfully.

Labelling and categorizing can be useful, but one should be acutely aware of the limitations of labelling.  It can be harmful when it leads one to overgeneralize what is being labeled.

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2015 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

Vyasma, I just thought of a joke that you might not like.

Q:  What do you call a poor Muslim Mexican immigrant woman who has a disability and tells the truth?

A:  I don’t know, but for goodness sakes, don’t ask Donald Trump.

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2015 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
TimB - 01 December 2015 12:01 PM

Q:  What do you call a poor Muslim Mexican immigrant woman who has a disability and tells the truth?

That’s for sure!  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2015 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
TimB - 01 December 2015 11:55 AM

Labelling and categorizing can be useful, but one should be acutely aware of the limitations of labelling.  It can be harmful when it leads one to overgeneralize what is being labeled.

Yeah my thought experiment extends so forth:
We’ll take the Label “Ethical Humanism” as provided above.
Now keeping in mind that the 3 people all lived according to the values listed above, let’s ask the 3 people if they consider themselves “Ethical Humanists”.
1. Nun- “I suppose so, if the shoe fits.”
2. Atheist-“No. I consider myself a Morally Determined Hard Atheist!”
3. a person- “What’s a humanist?”

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2015 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4332
Joined  2014-06-20
VYAZMA - 01 December 2015 08:17 AM

Hi Pointpath.
What if we had 3 people?

Not really, but labels do matter to the majority of the population and they often make sense of things that are otherwise hard for many people to come to grips with.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 02 December 2015 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

I just noticed….” a joke I might not like.”
What do you mean? Why wouldn’t I like that joke?

Signature 

Posted: 02 December 2015 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-11-06
LoisL - 30 November 2015 07:23 PM

Technically, religion does not have to be based on a belief in god or the supernatural. It can be an agreement to follow certain ethical principles, without theism. Therefore, humanism can be called a religion, but atheism cannot. Atheism has no set of standards. It is a statement regarding non-belief in god(s), nothing else. By the same token theism is not a religion—it is only a statement on belief in god(s).

Similarly, I attend a Unitarian Universalist church. Despite the fact that I am atheist and just go to put into practice some of my humanistic values, it is always misdefined and assumed I belong to a religion, namely Christianity/believe in the supernatural by other people in society to whom I mention that I attend this “church”. Most of the people I know who attend are most likely atheist. It just can get kind of awkward and ambiguous when I say, “I attend a group on Sunday’s with like-minded people who are furthering social justice and humanist values who tend to value science and reason.” Most people just aren’t familiar with that type of alternative.

[ Edited: 02 December 2015 07:10 AM by FinallyDecided ]

Posted: 02 December 2015 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
VYAZMA - 02 December 2015 03:58 AM

I just noticed….” a joke I might not like.”
What do you mean? Why wouldn’t I like that joke?

I didn’t know whether a joke that highlighted Trump’s bigoted tendencies in rhetoric, might rub you the wrong way.  Forgive my error.  I don’t always measure up to my own platonic ideal of my higher self.  In fact, I probably never do.

[ Edited: 02 December 2015 11:52 AM by TimB ]
 Signature 

Posted: 02 December 2015 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

I like anything that highlights people’s bigoted tendencies.
How did Pointpath become AMH?

Signature 

1 of 2