2 of 2
Ethical Humanism core values
Posted: 02 December 2015 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
VYAZMA - 02 December 2015 04:04 PM

I like anything that highlights people’s bigoted tendencies.
How did Pointpath become AMH?

I originally referred to him as “fellow AMH” referencing his introductory post which eluded to anatomically modern humans.  I planned to address him as “Path”, short for pointpath, and also because he, subsequently, revealed his previous work with softwares that had the word “path” in their names.  I guess he prefers AMH.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 03 December 2015 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2015-11-28

A work related nick name didn’t feel right in this forum. I was in a rut with pointpath. Now I’m not.

Posted: 03 December 2015 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14
AMH - 03 December 2015 05:38 AM

A work related nick name didn’t feel right in this forum. I was in a rut with pointpath. Now I’m not.

I like AMH better.
Pointpath reminded me of the name a Mega church that opened up nearby my town.

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 03 December 2015 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2015-11-28

Thank you. The heritage of AMH evolution to a 21st century modern human is rich. Especially when compared to the unbelievable ignorance of “young earth creationism”.

Posted: 28 November 2016 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-11-17

Poverty affects every aspect of children’s lives. It limits their opportunities for education, puts them at risk for health problems and increases the likelihood that they’ll be subjected to child labor or early marriage. Chances are they are hungry and at risk for malnutrition, underdevelopment and stunting, which can have serious health consequences later in life. By striking at both causes and consequences of poverty, CARE gives kids everywhere a chance for a brighter future. Find out  how joining a mission humanitaire can help children survive – and thrive!

Posted: 26 December 2017 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2015-11-28

Tim B are you still around?

Posted: 03 January 2018 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  1969
Joined  2016-12-24

AMH - 30 November 2015 05:00 PM

Ethical Humanist Core Values
Ethics is my religion, Every person is important and unique, Every person deserves to be treated fairly and kindly, I can learn from everyone, I am part of this earth; I cherish it and all the life upon it, I learn from the world around me by using senses, mind, and feelings, I am a member of the world community, which depends on the cooperation of all people for peace and justice, I can learn from the past to build for the future, I am free to question, I am free to choose what I believe, I accept responsibility for my choices and actions, I strive to live my core values.

I like it, I’ll sign on the dotted line.  cheese

TimB - 30 November 2015 07:00 PM

Other than “Ethics is my religion.”  I like it.

(Lois) Technically, religion does not have to be based on a belief in god or the supernatural. It can be an agreement to follow certain ethical principles, without theism. Therefore, humanism can be called a religion, but atheism cannot. Atheism has no set of standards. It is a statement regarding non-belief in god(s), nothing else. By the same token theism is not a religion—it is only a statement on belief in god(s).

My preference is to not use the word “religion” when it comes to humanism or any secular stance because most people will misdefine it as based on belief in God or the supernatural. But as the statement uses the word, it does not require those beliefs.

Cool, I like how you frame that.

I prefer to not be religious.  I think that it is important to follow certain ethical principals, but am wary of anything that smacks of dogmatism.  And religion is too associated with dogma for my tastes.

Yup

AMH - 30 November 2015 08:01 PM

TimB exactly. I don’t regret joining a Humanist group. They are all great people. I rarely go to their Sunday meetings anymore:too much like church for me.

Sunday meetings !?  surprised  What are those like.
I consider myself a Humanist, it came from inside out, its what helps me make sense of my place in the world, it the descriptive that best applies.
I know next to nothing about the organization(s).

================

Regarding religion, an aside. 

Music at its best when it moves the soul to cosmic realm, and in dance when it moves the backbone and creates all that energy between people and the moment.

Now that, to me, is true fundamental Religion at its purest.  just say’n

[ Edited: 03 January 2018 08:19 AM by Citizenschallenge-v.3 ]

Posted: 03 January 2018 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  4382
Joined  2014-06-20
TimB - 30 November 2015 07:00 PM

Other than “Ethics is my religion.”  I like it.

What do you have against ethics?

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 03 January 2018 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  4382
Joined  2014-06-20

The difference between most theistic religions and Humanism is that Humanism suggests ways of thinking and being ethical, but it doesn’t force those ideas on anyone, unlike theistic religions. It does not threaten people with eternal damnation if they don’t follow humanistic principles. That’s a theistic practice.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

2 of 2