Evolution
Posted: 16 December 2015 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  390
Joined  2015-11-28

In the 21st century there are still people who refuse to accept the evidence of evolution for both the planet and the occupants of its landscapes.
Many of those who do accept the scientific theory of evolution as a fact still find it difficult to accept that our human ancestors foraged for food and hid to sleep like many of the other animals.
For hundreds of thousands of our generations we lived among and competed with other animals.  We developed social behaviors that included the interests, intentions, or needs of others into our thought process.  Our social behaviors resulted in an advantage to differentiating our species from other animal species.

[ Edited: 16 December 2015 07:34 PM by AMH ]

Posted: 17 December 2015 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2012-04-25
AMH - 16 December 2015 04:10 PM

In the 21st century there are still people who refuse to accept the evidence of evolution for both the planet and the occupants of its landscapes.
Many of those who do accept the scientific theory of evolution as a fact still find it difficult to accept that our human ancestors foraged for food and hid to sleep like many of the other animals.
For hundreds of thousands of our generations we lived among and competed with other animals.  We developed social behaviors that included the interests, intentions, or needs of others into our thought process.  Our social behaviors resulted in an advantage to differentiating our species from other animal species.

You need to catch up on your youtube. There are plenty of examples of non-human animals whose social behaviors include helping other animals. OTOH I’ve never seen an animal go on a mass shooting spree for its religious beliefs or otherwise. wink

Posted: 17 December 2015 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2015-11-28
CuthbertJ - 17 December 2015 11:09 AM

You need to catch up on your youtube. There are plenty of examples of non-human animals whose social behaviors include helping other animals. OTOH I’ve never seen an animal go on a mass shooting spree for its religious beliefs or otherwise. wink

Yes, I have seen some of those utube vids and absolutely love them. More and more science is improving our understanding of other species and it’s fascinating.

All I meant is our style has separated us from other animals, we are the leaders of the pack in that regard.

Posted: 17 December 2015 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

The most important social behavior that evolved in humans that differentiated and gave us an advantage over other social creatures, is the advancement in complexity of our verbal behavior.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 17 December 2015 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2015-11-28
TimB - 17 December 2015 02:36 PM

The most important social behavior that evolved in humans that differentiated and gave us an advantage over other social creatures, is the advancement in complexity of our verbal behavior.

Unequivocal agreement. A reality in what you said is the physical anatomy of vocal cords, jaw conformity, lips , and some other angular requisites for achieving verbal complexity.

Posted: 17 December 2015 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
AMH - 17 December 2015 03:22 PM

Unequivocal agreement. A reality in what you said is the physical anatomy of vocal cords, jaw conformity, lips , and some other angular requisites for achieving verbal complexity.

Also, important, I think, was the bodily structural evolution that resulted in a longer period of human infants requiring care and nurturing after birth. This seems counterintuitive, in that one would think that a longer period of helplessness in the young would make a species more vulnerable to extinction.  But apparently, it resulted in an advantage, ultimately.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 17 December 2015 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
TimB - 17 December 2015 07:09 PM
AMH - 17 December 2015 03:22 PM

Also, important, I think, was the bodily structural evolution that resulted in a longer period of human infants requiring care and nurturing after birth. This seems counterintuitive, in that one would think that a longer period of helplessness in the young would make a species more vulnerable to extinction.  But apparently, it resulted in an advantage, ultimately.

Elephants require a long time to reach maturity, although they are not as completely helpless in infancy, as long as humans are. But still, their language may be more complex than we have previously considered.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-secret-language-of-elephants2/

Signature 

Posted: 18 December 2015 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

What came first
the cooked dinner
or the dinner talk?

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 18 December 2015 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Sure…
Brains are malleable, so that the circumstances we grow up within, guide how our brain develops, enabling us to better cope with our changing circumstances.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2015 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

and how about that deep evolution   cheese

Mineralogical Co-Evolution of the Geo- and Biospheres
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcktDStIfiQ
Robert Hazen, et. al

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2015 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
CuthbertJ - 17 December 2015 11:09 AM

Excellent point.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 19 December 2015 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
citizenschallenge.pm - 18 December 2015 09:05 PM

What came first
the cooked dinner
or the dinner talk?

Who knows?  But if I had to guess, I would think that we had a somewhat decent vocabulary by the time we learned to use fire effectively.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2015 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
citizenschallenge.pm - 18 December 2015 09:11 PM

Sure…
Brains are malleable, so that the circumstances we grow up within, guide how our brain develops, enabling us to better cope with our changing circumstances.

And to my point, the longer period of dependent social interaction, gives more time for the brain to develop the complexities of using language.

Signature 

‹‹ That closed thread...      Postulate (1) ››