1 of 3
Which Religous or Spiritually themed films and TV had the greatest impact on You?
Posted: 18 December 2015 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10

Stigmata, the movie, was and remains a powerful symbolic film of a tortured humanity through the sheer political absurdity of “the church”. Here an atheist receives marks of christ as St. Francis of Assisi is imagined to have received. The poor hairdresser, Patricia Arcett, is caught in dealing the principalities and political powers that invade her life.

V for Vendetta, the movie, remains an authoritarian classic, powerful for its portrayal of inflicted pain, loss of life, and demagogary of the leader.

Davinci Code is great, especially knowing the Bible is as false as any other imagination. Yet, hope, and love are possible.

Finally, Contact, a Carl Sagan inspirted search for life beyond (SETI) is a worthy film. What is love? God? Science? On trial. Can you find some of the weak points in the script?

Name some of your favorites.
Jim

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 18 December 2015 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14

This is difficult to reply to, because most religiously or spiritually themed films don’t really say anything to me.

I suppose I’d have to count “Lord of the Rings” as spiritual in theme, though.  It has these characters fighting against a seemingly unbeatable foe, and really all they have in their favor is their courage and determination not to lie down and die.  That really inspires me when I’m tempted to take the easy way out.

And then there was the television series “Stargate SG-1”.  One of the threads that ran through it was a galaxy oppressed by aliens who took on the role of gods with seemingly miraculous powers.  But there was a small number of Jaffa determined to fight the rule of these false gods.  I can still hear Teal’c in that baritone voice of his, fighting outrageously outnumbered, “I die free!”

Posted: 18 December 2015 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10

Science fiction is always moving for me and it is spiritual. Spirituality is an emergent property of humanity whereby with passion and risk and costs, humans engage the energy of the environment and transform the relationships through science. A lens is a transformation of light. A wheel is a transformation of shape and use. Electricity is a transformation of magnatism. Learning is a transformation of self. Transformed selves, transform society.

Lord of the Rings is the use of energy to explore and empower and destroy. Consider the bolt of light similar to a word spoken in high emotion to bring shame or embarrasement. Words are simply magically effective and understood modulated blasts of air ringing into the ear, transferred finally by electro chemical impulse….a blast of light!
Thanks.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 18 December 2015 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24

Pi Its about a mathematician who seems to discover a “mystical” equation.

The Rapture Good early 90s movie about a hedonist woman who becomes a born again Christian - has an interesting ending.

I’ll probably think of more later.

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 19 December 2015 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

Just saw “The Force Awakens”.  Not spiritual, but definitely the best since the original trilogy.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 December 2015 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24

Clash of the Titans.

The Seventh Seal.

Aguirre - The wrath of god.

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 21 December 2015 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5251
Joined  2007-08-31

Once Upon a Time in America

Signature 

GdB

The light is on, but there is nobody at home.

Posted: 21 December 2015 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4173
Joined  2009-10-21

The Razor’s Edge, 1984 with Bill Murray as a rich guy who goes to India to find enlightenment. Spoiler, he does, but it’s not so simple.

Circle of Iron, 1978.

Posted: 21 December 2015 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-11-06
JSmith - 18 December 2015 08:48 AM

Spirituality is an emergent property of humanity whereby with passion and risk and costs, humans engage the energy of the environment and transform the relationships through science. A lens is a transformation of light. A wheel is a transformation of shape and use. Electricity is a transformation of magnatism. Learning is a transformation of self. Transformed selves, transform society.

Just about every movie presents a main character with a problem to overcome, making every movie spiritual then, right?

Posted: 21 December 2015 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
FinallyDecided - 21 December 2015 01:20 PM

Spirituality is an emergent property of humanity whereby with passion and risk and costs, humans engage the energy of the environment and transform the relationships through science. A lens is a transformation of light. A wheel is a transformation of shape and use. Electricity is a transformation of magnatism. Learning is a transformation of self. Transformed selves, transform society.

Just about every movie presents a main character with a problem to overcome, making every movie spiritual then, right?

The good ones not only do that, they develop the characters and show how their experiences change them. This does seem spiritual.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 21 December 2015 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
DarronS - 21 December 2015 05:18 PM

The good ones not only do that, they develop the characters and show how their experiences change them. This does seem spiritual.

A good one that mentions little or no religion would be “Away We Go”. A young couple gets pregnant before they had planned on it, and realize they had been living a life for their parents, not themselves. They set off on a road trip, meeting up with relatives and friends to decide where to start their family. Really covers the bases on all that meaning of life stuff.

Posted: 23 December 2015 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14

Lord of the Rings is the use of energy to explore and empower and destroy.

I don’t know about that… What’s so interesting to me about the Lord of the Rings is how the characters ultimately win not by marching out and trying to beat the enemy head on, but by simply resisting him.  Their battles are mainly defensive ones.  It would be logical to take the Ring and use its power against Sauron to bring him down, installing another, benevolent ruler in his place.  But time and again we see that it simply would have made matters worse.  The only true solution is to give up the power and simply stand united against him on their own resources.

Oh, and while we’re on the subject, can we talk about Holiday Movies?  The multiple saccharine sweet versions of “Miracle of 34th Street” where the darling, faithful children have to convince their evil, jaded parents that Santa really exists!  And it is so painfully obvious that they’re really not talking about Santa Claus, they’re talking about God.  They want people to believe in something they can’t see.  The thing that always gets me is how ridiculously transparent they are.  Clearly the writers themselves don’t really believe a word of it.  smile

Posted: 23 December 2015 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Advocatus - 23 December 2015 08:19 AM

Lord of the Rings is the use of energy to explore and empower and destroy.

I don’t know about that… What’s so interesting to me about the Lord of the Rings is how the characters ultimately win not by marching out and trying to beat the enemy head on, but by simply resisting him.  Their battles are mainly defensive ones.  It would be logical to take the Ring and use its power against Sauron to bring him down, installing another, benevolent ruler in his place.  But time and again we see that it simply would have made matters worse.  The only true solution is to give up the power and simply stand united against him on their own resources.

I think LOTR had the perfect setup for a power so great, it could corrupt anyone. The only solution was to destroy it and to do that, you had sacrifice the innocence of one man.

Advocatus - 23 December 2015 08:19 AM

Oh, and while we’re on the subject, can we talk about Holiday Movies?  The multiple saccharine sweet versions of “Miracle of 34th Street” where the darling, faithful children have to convince their evil, jaded parents that Santa really exists!  And it is so painfully obvious that they’re really not talking about Santa Claus, they’re talking about God.  They want people to believe in something they can’t see.  The thing that always gets me is how ridiculously transparent they are.  Clearly the writers themselves don’t really believe a word of it.  smile

There’s a good one out there that I can’t find right now. A woman meets an angel and goes into an alternate timeline, but doesn’t realize it. Her kid is kidnapped by a bank robber and dies. I know, pretty dark. Like any scrooge-like/wonderful life-like Christmas movie, she has to change her attitude, but this one has real soul-searching.

Posted: 23 December 2015 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

damned what fun and interesting reading down that list, particularly thinking of my own hands down winner.   smile

It was the early 70s Jesus Christ Superstar, the rock opera.
Besides the kick-ass music that can still carry me away into that realm that inspired religion in the first place.

But the words and story captured my attention big time.

The Passion of Jesus suddenly made sense in a real life way to me.
Everything previously was like looking at a post card.
It was also amazing to realize the story could be looked at with an appreciation that
everyone was carrying out their function as they and society established it.

It added a profound three dimensionality to my understanding of the meaning of Jesus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_hlGtZalhs

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 23 December 2015 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20

No, just plot driven.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 27 December 2015 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

As a Tolkien fan, I know that I had what might be considered a “spiritual” feeling at the opening of the first movie of the LOTR trilogy.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

1 of 3