2 of 3
Which Religous or Spiritually themed films and TV had the greatest impact on You?
Posted: 27 December 2015 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24

A Christmas Carol Specifically this one with Alastair Sim.

Its always been my favorite one.

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 27 December 2015 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2009-10-21
mid atlantic - 27 December 2015 06:38 PM

Excellent choice. I especially like the thing about how souls of selfish people are doomed to walk the earth, wanting to help and give, but unable to. I watch one, read one or attend one every year, including the Klingon Christmas Carol. Overall, the George C Scott one from the 80’s is the best.

Posted: 28 December 2015 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14

I love the various versions of “A Christmas Carol”, because they’re not really about Christmas, they’re really about exploring alternate realities.  I saw one movie with Molly Ringwald that took place at Thanksgiving.  She made a wish on a turkey wishbone and found herself in an alternate universe where she was a successful television producer, married to her football star dream guy… and before long was wishing she was back in her old, boring life!

Yes, the George C Scott version probably is the best, although the Bill Murray one, “Scrooged” isn’t bad either.

Posted: 28 December 2015 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2009-10-21
Advocatus - 28 December 2015 08:12 AM

Yes, the George C Scott version probably is the best, although the Bill Murray one, “Scrooged” isn’t bad either.

I could talk on this all day, but when I said “overall”, I meant everything from acting to accuracy to the original, set designs, choice of key Dickens quotes, etc. If I were to pick my most enjoyable one, from simply personal pleasure point of view, Scrooged would definitely be near the top.

Posted: 29 December 2015 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-11-06

Suffragette, which was out last month (November) was pretty good…about women’s rights in London in the early 1900s. I would recommend.

Posted: 17 April 2016 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2016-04-10

A_Man_for_All_Seasons-576445913-large.jpg

Signature 

Wendy Wright fan “Show me the evidence. Show me the evidence. Show me the evidence”.

Posted: 17 April 2016 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
JSmith - 18 December 2015 08:03 AM

Stigmata, the movie, was and remains a powerful symbolic film of a tortured humanity through the sheer political absurdity of “the church”. Here an atheist receives marks of christ as St. Francis of Assisi is imagined to have received. The poor hairdresser, Patricia Arcett, is caught in dealing the principalities and political powers that invade her life.

V for Vendetta, the movie, remains an authoritarian classic, powerful for its portrayal of inflicted pain, loss of life, and demagogary of the leader.

Davinci Code is great, especially knowing the Bible is as false as any other imagination. Yet, hope, and love are possible.

Finally, Contact, a Carl Sagan inspirted search for life beyond (SETI) is a worthy film. What is love? God? Science? On trial. Can you find some of the weak points in the script?

Name some of your favorites.
Jim

The only one I can think of—and it’s a stretch to call it religious or spiritially themed, at least not deliberately——but the Wizard of Oz is a great film that demonstrates the “Man behind the emerald curtain” who is a fraud who fools everyone.” I saw the analogy to the “god” even at a young age, when I was still an indocrtrinated believer. Maybe it even planted a seed.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 18 April 2016 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-04-10

the-wizard-of-oz.12679.jpg

Signature 

Wendy Wright fan “Show me the evidence. Show me the evidence. Show me the evidence”.

Posted: 18 April 2016 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2016-04-10

51ixQX7QBiL._SY300_.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2016 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

I enjoyed “Religiosity”.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 15 June 2016 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14

“A Man For All Seasons” is one of my favorite films, too—I never really thought of it as a Religious film.  At first glance, it seems to be about church/state separation, but it’s really just one man standing up for what he feels is right.  You have to admire that.

Cardinal Wolsey:  “You’re a constant regret to me, Thomas.  If you could only see facts flat on without that intolerable moral squint.  With a little common sense, you might have made a statesman.”
More: “Like yourself, Your Grace?”

Posted: 16 June 2016 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2012-07-13
mid atlantic - 27 December 2015 06:38 PM

Yup.  Easily my favorite Christmas movie.

But Dead Poet’s Society it tops overall for me.  It’s quite non-religiously spiritual.  It’s an all-round great movie- even the soundtrack is wonderful.

Signature 

It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.  Edmund Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons

Posted: 05 October 2016 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2012-04-25

I thought I’d revive this crusty old thread. One of my favorites is Samson and Delilah by Cecile B DeMille. It’s purely religious, but in a way not. Samson is sort of the Denzel “Equalizer” of his times, and uses what he believes to be his god given gifts to help others. And the final scene is, well it’s the ultimate revenge against evil scene.

The other favorite is Oh God with George Burns. It’s actually extremely anti-organized religion, with God (George Burns) at one point telling the priest to sit down and shut up.

Posted: 06 October 2016 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

Jesus Christ Superstar
Jesus Christ Superstar is a 1970 rock opera with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice.
The musical started as a rock opera concept album

Jesus-Christ-Superstar-opens-in-Big.jpg
                                Those were the days my friend . . .
                          images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8QniA0FNNcEuXrGQMEMXsamJwYp3-VhurXVeNFQ2ilxh2eA_p

cheese

It’s some wonderful music,
still the only time I’ve seen a Bible story humanized in a realistic manner. 
Taught me what the Passion was all about.
... and it had a sense of humor.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 19 October 2016 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  2797
Joined  2007-07-05

I was really impressed with Ben-Hur the first time I saw it.  Of course I was really young.

The Exorcist, that was really out of the box at the time.

The Matrix is spiritual when you think beyond the superficial aspects.

psik

Signature 

Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History

2 of 3