3 of 3
Which Religous or Spiritually themed films and TV had the greatest impact on You?
Posted: 21 October 2016 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10

The movie “Infinity” has a beautiful secondary theme of belief in some supernatural but most of such “beings” are simply cultural super personalities that hold concepts and ideas of being a part of a much bigger universe. Along with such concepts that allow universal thinking come mathematics.
https://youtu.be/oXGm9Vlfx4w is the trailer.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 21 October 2016 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
LoisL - 17 April 2016 11:19 AM
JSmith - 18 December 2015 08:03 AM

Stigmata, the movie, was and remains a powerful symbolic film of a tortured humanity through the sheer political absurdity of “the church”. Here an atheist receives marks of christ as St. Francis of Assisi is imagined to have received. The poor hairdresser, Patricia Arcett, is caught in dealing the principalities and political powers that invade her life.

V for Vendetta, the movie, remains an authoritarian classic, powerful for its portrayal of inflicted pain, loss of life, and demagogary of the leader.

Davinci Code is great, especially knowing the Bible is as false as any other imagination. Yet, hope, and love are possible.

Finally, Contact, a Carl Sagan inspirted search for life beyond (SETI) is a worthy film. What is love? God? Science? On trial. Can you find some of the weak points in the script?

Name some of your favorites.
Jim

The only one I can think of—and it’s a stretch to call it religious or spiritially themed, at least not deliberately——but the Wizard of Oz is a great film that demonstrates the “Man behind the emerald curtain” who is a fraud who fools everyone.” I saw the analogy to the “god” even at a young age, when I was still an indocrtrinated believer. Maybe it even planted a seed.

Lois

Yes, I had the same experience with the Wizard of Oz. It seemed so blatant a commentary on belief in God I wondered how it got past the censors. Of course, believers would say it only applied to fake wizards, not the “real”  god.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 23 October 2016 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15
psikeyhackr - 19 October 2016 09:31 PM

The Matrix is spiritual when you think beyond the superficial aspects.

psik

How that?

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 01 November 2016 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  381
Joined  2008-09-10

2001: A Space Odyssey.  The novels have no spiritual impact, but seeing the movie without reading them (which was the case when I first saw it) did, for me, in that it emphasized how far we’ve come and how far we’ve yet to go; the vastness of the universe and the existence of other beings—or even a supreme being—greatly superior to us but completely unlike us and our gods, and the possibility of transformation.  Poorly put but I hope you get the idea.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 02 November 2016 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14
Advocatus - 18 December 2015 08:16 AM

I suppose I’d have to count “Lord of the Rings” as spiritual in theme, though.  It has these characters fighting against a seemingly unbeatable foe, and really all they have in their favor is their courage and determination not to lie down and die.  That really inspires me when I’m tempted to take the easy way out.

Speaking of which… I’ve been seeing Elijah Wood lately on commercials for a new BBC series he appears in. You have to feel a little sorry for him, don’t you? Look at it this way—his lead role in “Lord of the Rings” was a once-in-a-lifetime role, and he’s already done it. For the rest of his life, he’ll be known as “the guy who played Frodo”.

Posted: 02 November 2016 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
Advocatus - 02 November 2016 07:09 AM

I’ve been seeing Elijah Wood lately on commercials for a new BBC series he appears in. You have to feel a little sorry for him, don’t you? Look at it this way—his lead role in “Lord of the Rings” was a once-in-a-lifetime role, and he’s already done it. For the rest of his life, he’ll be known as “the guy who played Frodo”.

Better to be a has-been than a never-was.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 02 November 2016 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  834
Joined  2009-07-17

I enjoyed Oh God! back in the day.  grin  (Although the sequels were “meh”.) I also really enjoyed the first Nicolas Cage Ghost Rider movie.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 15 November 2016 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2016-11-06

Dreyer’s The Passion of Joan of Arc, by virtue of it’s amazing technique, close-ups and powerful, haunting score (that was added a few years back).
It also reveals the utter brutality of a religious establishment that not’s too different now; though I can’t think of anyone who’s been burned at the stake recently.

Posted: 18 November 2016 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  521
Joined  2011-09-13

I can’t honestly say any have had a “impact” on me, certainly not in the sense of changing how I feel about religion but yes, any movie well done can be both entertaining and enjoyable.
Hopefully one day someone will produce one about The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and no doubt, It will win an Oscar.

3 of 3