Hello!
Posted: 21 January 2016 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2016-01-21

Hey everyone, my name is Richard.  I was a Christian all my life (20+ years) until recently, when I had to abandon the faith.  Believe it or not, it is possible to be reasoned out of something you were not reasoned into.  Not only was I a Christian (of a controversial cult-like group called The Local Church), but I went to a bible school for two years, read the bible around 10 times from cover to cover, read volumes of commentary on the bible, and until recently volunteered in a number of areas at my local church.  Well after reading some books on career related matters, I eventually had an interest to read about psychology and other scientific areas.  Eventually, I came to the point to try my best to question my faith with minimal bias.  Well the results turned out to be great.  After reading a number of science related books as well as critical books on Christianity I found my way out!

Now I am a member of The Clergy Project, a Point of Inquiry fan, part of my local skeptics group, and am awaiting my first issue of The Skeptical Inquirer.  I love skepticism and critical thinking.  I have a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, so perhaps the scientific background that I got there is what has helped me along the way.  I was not just a believer in Christian theology, but also some alternative medicine techniques and paranormal/supernatural claims.  A lot of this is new for me, and it is nice to have my mind freed of many irrational beliefs and able to live a more fulfilling life as a result. 

I’ll probably have some posts soon in other forums and I look forward to interacting with you all!

[ Edited: 21 January 2016 12:19 PM by blackorwat ]

Posted: 21 January 2016 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14

What’s up? How ya doin?

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 21 January 2016 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

Man, I hope that you do contribute.  It can be intimidating, I think, for many, to do so.  It seems to me that there are a lot of folks who could be good contributors, who introduce themselves, and then, we hear little or nothing else from them.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 January 2016 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2016-01-21
TimB - 21 January 2016 01:50 PM

Man, I hope that you do contribute.  It can be intimidating, I think, for many, to do so.  It seems to me that there are a lot of folks who could be good contributors, who introduce themselves, and then, we hear little or nothing else from them.

Yes, I do plan on contributing.  I hope to learn from you all and will post some questions soon.

‹‹ Hello Everyone      Hello from Brazil! ››