1 of 3
Psychedelics
Posted: 22 January 2016 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  874
Joined  2015-12-29

What’s the deal with psychedelics and people believing that it enhances the mind and opens consciousness? Does that make sense? Is there any truth to that statement at all.

Posted: 22 January 2016 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15
Titanomachina - 22 January 2016 06:52 PM

What’s the deal with psychedelics and people believing that it enhances the mind and opens consciousness? Does that make sense? Is there any truth to that statement at all.

Probably depends on who you ask.
For instance, I bet this guy would have an interesting response for you http://alexgrey.com/bio/
I know Terence McKenna is ready with a few thoughts, he wrote ‘Food of the Gods” an interesting, though not profound, book I listened to a while back.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 23 January 2016 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

Hmm, that doesn’t really answer much.

Posted: 23 January 2016 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2011-04-24

The only thing they really enhance is dealer’s wallets.

Psychedelics do alter sensory perception and thought processes. Maybe artists (who aren’t that talented) can benefit from them to an extent, but the expanding your consciousness concept is a load of garbage.

[ Edited: 23 January 2016 03:41 AM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 23 January 2016 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Titanomachina - 23 January 2016 01:06 AM

Hmm, that doesn’t really answer much.

sorry for being coy, I don’t have any answers.  Just suspicions.

mid atlantic - 23 January 2016 03:35 AM

The only thing they really enhance is dealer’s wallets.

Psychedelics do alter sensory perception and thought processes. Maybe artists (who aren’t that talented) can benefit from them to an extent, but the expanding your consciousness concept is a load of garbage.

Hmmm, not talented artists?
Alex_Grey-Kissing.jpg

Mid, do you really believe that simple dismissal: “expanding your consciousness is a load of crap” ?

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2016 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Titanomachina, you might enjoy The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors_of_Perception

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2016 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

So really no one knows what exactly. Just suspicions.

Posted: 23 January 2016 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  483
Joined  2014-03-12

Well, they have found evidence that giving them to people suffering from PTSD are helped by the drugs ability to allow them alternate perspectives on their trauma, and that helps them move past it.

Personally, I did get a very altered perspective on many things when I played around with them several years ago. The new perspectives were often very helpful.

[ Edited: 23 January 2016 04:48 PM by Handydan ]
 Signature 

“expectation is the mother of disappointment”

Posted: 23 January 2016 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
citizenschallenge.pm - 23 January 2016 08:12 AM

Mid, do you really believe that simple dismissal: “expanding your consciousness is a load of crap” ?

AFAIK, expanding consciousness is a pseudoscientific concept, and the people who promote it are always woo-merchants.

Signature 

“I am back from Syria. I believe I have enlightened ISIS to the error of their ways. They are all vegan now.” - Godfrey Elfwick

Posted: 23 January 2016 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
Titanomachina - 23 January 2016 09:40 AM

From personal experience, taking LSD on two occasions, during my lifetime, I would say that the first time, my mind was expanded only to the extent, that I came to realize how freakingly intense, taking LSD is. It was extraordinarily uncomfortable, and I didn’t know if it would ever end.

The 2nd time, I did have the benefit of recognizing, in retrospect, what a delusion feels like. (Good to know if you encounter persons who are delusional.) And despite that, it was a fun experience to look back on as it was with a group of good friends.

Was my mind expanded by the LSD?  I don’t think it was, in any generally profound way.

Is it beneficial to occasionally alter one’s typical state of consciousness?  I suspect, that it is. But that can be done in safer ways, like taking vacations to unfamiliar places, or “communing” with nature, or running a long time, or rhythmically beating drums in a dark cellar, or chanting a long time, or doing intense yoga, or meditation.

[ Edited: 23 January 2016 08:05 PM by TimB ]
 Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 23 January 2016 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
Titanomachina - 23 January 2016 09:40 AM

Sums up life pretty well, don’t you think?

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2016 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4097
Joined  2014-06-20
Titanomachina - 22 January 2016 06:52 PM

What statement are you referring to?

I agree with Mid Atlantic that consciousness can’t be expanded. If psychedelics have any effect, it’s probably negative. Consciousness can be shrunk or otherwise damaged (which we know for a fact) but psychedelics and mind altering drugs could make a person THINK his or her brain is being expanded.  LSD probably does that to even greater effect.  It did it to Timothy Leary.

Lois

[ Edited: 25 January 2016 01:53 AM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 24 January 2016 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

I don’t know, from watching people seems that most live in a very two dimensional existence with about the depth of a post card - or their TV screen.
Plenty of room for a little mind expansion - and you don’t need heavy psychedelics a little bud and bud can go far to loosen up the doors to perception.

I can think of a number of legitimate mind expanding moments, that have forever enriched my perceptions of the world around me.
For instance an especially fun one was ages ago at 19 in Yosemite, fantastic view over central valley, after the sun had set and there was a sliver of a crescent moon and I was imaging the fully lite half of the moon aimed straight at the sun that was slightly below the horizon, with me looking in on the edge of that imagined half-moon.  Then that mental musing turning into a visceral triangulating of the relative position of the sun, moon and me on to the lob of the Earth.  It was an amazing mind expanding moment that hasn’t left me and I’ll bet I’ve have a deeper appreciation for the moon and Earth and planets orbiting around the sun than most, because of it.

Or absorbing the reality of 90% of Earth’s history being without any land plants to influence continental landscapes - with huge tides that ripped across hundreds of miles of braided stream flood plains.  Having the reality of that momentarily viscerally ripple through my mind and senses - was mind expanding and has left me with a heightened awareness of this planet’s life story.

Mind expanding is just that - expanding your mind to appreciate horizons never glimpsed before.

And all you who poop the thought of mind expanding, may I suggest spending a little more time with Alex Gray’s art.
That did not come from art school.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2016 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

Thing is when your mind expands things get rather grey, at least in my experience. Life loses its luster and things just seem to become rather bleh.

Also bud does nothing for me but induce sleep

Posted: 25 January 2016 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
citizenschallenge.pm - 24 January 2016 10:19 PM

I don’t know, from watching people seems that most live in a very two dimensional existence with about the depth of a post card - or their TV screen.
Plenty of room for a little mind expansion - and you don’t need heavy psychedelics a little bud and bud can go far to loosen up the doors to perception.

I can think of a number of legitimate mind expanding moments, that have forever enriched my perceptions of the world around me.
For instance an especially fun one was ages ago at 19 in Yosemite, fantastic view over central valley, after the sun had set and there was a sliver of a crescent moon and I was imaging the fully lite half of the moon aimed straight at the sun that was slightly below the horizon, with me looking in on the edge of that imagined half-moon.  Then that mental musing turning into a visceral triangulating of the relative position of the sun, moon and me on to the lob of the Earth.  It was an amazing mind expanding moment that hasn’t left me and I’ll bet I’ve have a deeper appreciation for the moon and Earth and planets orbiting around the sun than most, because of it.

Or absorbing the reality of 90% of Earth’s history being without any land plants to influence continental landscapes - with huge tides that ripped across hundreds of miles of braided stream flood plains.  Having the reality of that momentarily viscerally ripple through my mind and senses - was mind expanding and has left me with a heightened awareness of this planet’s life story.

Mind expanding is just that - expanding your mind to appreciate horizons never glimpsed before.

And all you who poop the thought of mind expanding, may I suggest spending a little more time with Alex Gray’s art.
That did not come from art school.

Profound experiences can lead to “mind expansion”?  I guess there’s no harm in looking at it like that.

I can’t get into Alex Gray’s art, though.

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2016 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

…..

[ Edited: 28 January 2016 02:06 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

1 of 3