10 of 10
Solipsism
Posted: 19 March 2016 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

And when people get to be too much, there’s alway evolution or some other interesting science to spend some fascinating time with.
Heck even music.
How about watching the grass grow, more fun than watching turds.
Watching paint dry will drive you crazy, because it makes you keep thinking you’ve missed some sections, when they are just drying at different rates.  It’s best just to come back the next day.  A Free pro tip for you TM.  grin

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 20 March 2016 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

All people poop.  Some people also do amazing and interesting things.  Titano is fixated on their poop.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 20 March 2016 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Total Posts:  7805
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 20 March 2016 05:57 PM

All people poop.  Some people also do amazing and interesting things.  Titano is fixated on their poop.

Interestingly, Robert Hazen has discovered a new chemical in the excrement of a water organism. It’s called Hazenite and so far it has been found in just one single location. So, if we look deep enough, even poop contains some interesting properties.

129fs238648.gif

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 20 March 2016 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 20 March 2016 06:10 PM
TimB - 20 March 2016 05:57 PM

Interestingly, Robert Hazen has discovered a new chemical in the excrement of a water organism. It’s called Hazenite and so far it has been found in just one single location. So, if we look deep enough, even poop contains some interesting properties.

129fs238648.gif

Good point, Yoda.  I guess Titano can’t get past the smell.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 21 March 2016 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Titanomachina - 18 March 2016 04:52 PM

Because it quite frankly is the fault of others for being so uninteresting. It’s something you learn after interacting with many people, they’re all the same.

Frankly, I’m beginning to get bored with your endless repeating the same circular argument that, “I am bored, because people are boring”

But tell me one of your interests? An inquiring mind has to have some interests other than “it’s all an illusion”, no?

Can you set aside your resistance and look at this iink. Trust me, it consists of glimpses of interesting phenomena. No sermons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zfgFfC5kOs    and this look at an entertaining animal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDwOi7HpHtQ

and if you dare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwY1Ws5sd58&index=2&list=PLlHanBMNk-DKQzkktkFKGvJR_9gSRDhBr

[ Edited: 06 January 2017 02:55 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 21 March 2016 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Total Posts:  4163
Joined  2009-10-21

I double dog anyone to watch that NOVA episode.

I haven’t been watching it as much. Not sure I’ve gotten smarterer or NOVA has been more dumbed down lately, but it hasn’t held my interest so good lately.

But that was way cool.

Posted: 06 January 2017 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
jonhkenny - 06 January 2017 01:24 AM

I care about things that I like. It’s that simple.

But ultimately it comes down to belief. I can’t prove I exist or that the world is real and exists any more than I can prove its a product of my mind. But I think I’ll go with the more productive belief that it’s real. It’s just more healthy and productive that way. Because when it comes down to two beliefs, I’ll avoid the stupid one.

IMO, we exist as sets of values and equations. The main thing is that we are endowed with a mirror neuron system which allows us to experience empathy (understanding). Humans are certainly not alone in this ability.

[ Edited: 07 January 2017 12:46 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 06 January 2017 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Titanomachina - 10 March 2016 05:16 PM

But the thing is I can’t prove its true. I can’t prove that this is a dream and the people are fake anymore than I can prove it isn’t a dream and it’s all real.

No you can’t. That’s life. Nobody will ever know the truth. But humans will always think they have it, despite evidence to the contrary. Whatever you decide can be true only to you and no one else. Everyone will always have his own “truth” that will be inaccessible to everyone else.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 07 January 2017 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
LoisL - 06 January 2017 08:48 PM

But the thing is I can’t prove its true. I can’t prove that this is a dream and the people are fake anymore than I can prove it isn’t a dream and it’s all real.

No you can’t. That’s life. Nobody will ever know the truth. But humans will always think they have it, despite evidence to the contrary. Whatever you decide can be true only to you and no one else. Everyone will always have his own “truth” that will be inaccessible to everyone else.

And that’s the beauty of the Mirror Neuron System which allows one’s mind to recognize and experience the same “emotional and physical response* experienced by another.

If we use a mathematical model, all brains are fundamentally similar in fundamental survival functions and should be able to recognize its environment to varying degrees of necessity. That’s where it starts.

Humans live in very complicated world with a great variety of environments. We need a sophisticated brain, but so does a Whale.

Even if each lives in his/her own reality, we also share many things in each other’s realities. Sports are but one example!. And then, probabilistically, there will be someone who’s reality is really close to yours and vice versa.  Then you have achieved Understanding and Empathy, Friendship.

[ Edited: 07 January 2017 01:28 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 30 January 2017 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

On a more serious note; IMO the philosophical term *Solipsism* says the same thing as the term *Relativism* in the physical sciences.

We each experience reality from our point of observation. We each live in our own reality, or so it seems, but in truth it is the same reality seen from a different perspective.

Therefore it is important to look at things from different perspectives in order to understand why someone may experience the same reality in a different way.

From our point of observation we each experience our own unique interpretation of the same physical world.
Different perspectives allow us to experience Empathy, the ability to experience another’s emotional and physical responses to an event.

http://www.ted.com/talks/roger_antonsen_math_is_the_hidden_secret_to_understanding_the_world?

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 30 January 2017 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20

That’s right. So give it up. You will never know. I don’t know the answer, either but I’ve managed to live my life pretty well without going into a frenzy about whether it’s real.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

10 of 10