The musical matrix.
Posted: 24 March 2016 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7851
Joined  2009-02-26

Was musing about the various musical ranges of instruments and why they are used in music composition. Found something:
musrange.gif

http://www.solomonsmusic.net/insrange.htm

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 March 2016 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04

Music.  Now available to mankind at a level never known, heretofore, in terms of the sheer quantity, the diversity, the types, the complexity, the range.  But why?  How has it promoted survival to reproduction?  It is not a semantical language.  It does express, communicate, and elicit emotions.  Perhaps that has been critical in some way in our evolution.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 March 2016 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 25 March 2016 04:53 PM

Music.  Now available to mankind at a level never known, heretofore, in terms of the sheer quantity, the diversity, the types, the complexity, the range.  But why?  How has it promoted survival to reproduction?  It is not a semantical language.  It does express, communicate, and elicit emotions.  Perhaps that has been critical in some way in our evolution.

I am certain of it.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 05 April 2016 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

An interesting clip about the connection between types of music and personality of the listener.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/tunedin/what-music-says-about-your-personality/vi-BBraZTH

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 05 April 2016 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

Except for the Nora Jones song it all sucked.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 05 April 2016 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
DarronS - 05 April 2016 06:17 AM

Except for the Nora Jones song it all sucked.

You must have an empathic personality then. A well developed MNN.  It;s a good thing.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 06 April 2016 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3195
Joined  2010-04-26

What a load. It’s a bunch of Barnum Effect BS.

Signature 

“Ah, I love your religion - for the crazy! Virgin birth, water into wine; it’s like Harry Potter, but it causes genocide and bad folk music.” -Roger Smith

Posted: 06 April 2016 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 06 April 2016 01:43 AM

What a load. It’s a bunch of Barnum Effect BS.

I am not sure what “Barnum Effect BS” conrtibutes to the discussion.
I went through three pages of the Barnum Effect on wikii, seeking any reference to emotional responseses of certain types of people to certain types of music. Alas, that was a waste of my time.  Can you clarify your knee-jerk comment?

Signature 

W4U