2 of 2
God’s medicine, Gorry Be…
Posted: 07 April 2016 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5257
Joined  2011-11-04
macgyver - 07 April 2016 03:22 PM

...4) As with all antimicrobial agents there is the risk of resistance. Garlic isn’t magic. Its benefits would abide by the same evolutionary rules as all other antimicrobials. It is possible and very likely that people who consume certain garlic products regularly in an effort to “improve health” may induce resistance to these agents among the organisms of their microbiome. As is common, these organisms may then pass that resistance on to pathogenic organisms making them harder to treat and even more dangerous.

I was wondering whether it may be a bad idea to regularly use diced and crushed garlic as a seasoning, as the dicing and crushing purportedly produces allicin.

I do not use garlic for medicinal reasons, but I do consume it on occasion.  I am fine with cooking it whole, if dicing and crushing might contribute to unforeseen antimicrobial problems.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 April 2016 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7507
Joined  2009-02-26

@ macgyver,
I understand that, as a physician (scientist) you have to adherence to the rigors of the scientific method. But by those standards, almost no medicine of any kind qualifies as safe to use. We need look only at the warning labels of *commonly prescribed medications*.

But, excepting the few people who are allergic, I have never heard of anyone overdosing or having adverse effects from ingesting garlic on a daily basis. And that has been practiced by millions of people around the world for thousands of years.  By all accounts, garlic seems to have some specific beneficial medicinal properties in addition to being used as a taste enhancing spice, and is safe to use as well as any member of the onion family.

[ Edited: 07 April 2016 11:44 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 20 April 2017 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7507
Joined  2009-02-26

Just ran across this presentation on medical mariuhana, by a respected oncologist. Just in furtherance of the desirabiityof using naturak products, where the patient decides on the appropriate dosage to ease discomfort.
. I was particularly intrigued by his emphasis on patients with chronic painful diseases having a measure of control in finding relief from various symptoms, without having to resort to a strict regimen of opiods.

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_casarett_a_doctor_s_case_for_medical_marijuana?

[ Edited: 21 April 2017 12:04 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

2 of 2