3 of 6
What can ensure that an American lands on Mars within 10 years?
Posted: 10 May 2016 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  288
Joined  2016-01-29

CC - think about the amount of land that has been destroyed

Not much.  True, there are a few areas that have become uninhabitable due to toxic waste dumping.  Strip mining and open pit mining scars the surface in a few small areas. 

On the bright side clear cutting makes room for replanting and for agriculture.  Landfills are now sometimes turned into open spaces after they are covered over.

So, no, I don’t think all that much land has been “destroyed”

or the land that has been radially transformed and diminished

Transformed does not necessarily mean diminished.  Human beings are an animal species.  If we use land to provide food for our species I do not see that as some kind of inherent evil.  Trees used to grow on the land.  Now corn grows on the land.  How is that a bad thing?  Oh, now I suppose you might say there will be increased erosion, increased use of agricultural chemicals, and decreased biodiversity, fair enough.  But the vast majority of all species have gone extinct all on their own so I really don’t think a few less varieties of birds or lizards is gong to be a catastrophe for the biosphere.

the things happening to our essential mountain glaciers and forest landscapes

Why is a mountain glacier “essential”?  Essential to who, for what?  You mean to keep land ice to prevent ocean rise?  Mountain glaciers are a tiny bit of that.  Most land ice is in Antarctica and that is increasing!  Greenland is the next biggest repository.  True, rising sea level will create a lot of new construction needs and losses of coastal property.

and on and on.

Dude, you worry a lot, I think you need to get outside more or something.  It’s a beautiful day, sun, rain, snow, a starry night…it’s all good my friend.

Oh, ok, the stuff you list has a lot of truth in many respects, but things tend to balance out.  We haven’t killed all the fish, we are handling our toxic materials ever more carefully, and the phytoplankton is still oxygenating the world.  Corn produces oxygen too plus I like to eat it so it’s not all bad.

It has always astounded me how glibly people disregard all these happenings.  Instead of considering the harsh reality, they come up with quaint bromides such as that superficial list of rationalizations for ignoring.  Ignoring the state of the Earth and the harsh brave new world we have invited into our children’s lives.  This summer will simply be a foreshadowing.

Oh, now I suppose you are going to go and call me glib but what you don’t seem to get is that it is ok to be happy at the same time we confront our problems.  In fact, I rather prefer to look on the bright side of things.

See, it is not an matter of ignoring, it is a matter of not panicking as we methodically work the issues. 

Think about Europe and what they are facing with the influx of refugees, think that’s going to get resolved?

Yes.  They have had their belly full.  They are starting to ship them back and block their entry.  Here in the states it is now a political plus to call for the ban , not just on refugees, but all foreign Muslims. 

When the pendulum reaches its fullest travel then it swings back the other way.

Posted: 10 May 2016 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
Coldheart Tucker - 09 May 2016 08:01 PM

... if there’s one thing that I’ve learned over the years is that you cannot predict where a scientific pursuit is going to take you.

We can safely predict that a manned expedition to Mars would be a one-way ticket to a slow, painful death. Unless the crash. Then it would be quick.

I’m all for space exploration and I will never forget watching Neil Armstrong stepping onto the surface of the Moon, but this talk about sending people to Mars is way premature. You advocate it and I respect that but I challenge you to think this through and answer a few questions about the project.

How will we protect astronauts from stellar radiation? (This is the largest hurdle.)
How much fuel will it take to transport the people, their food and water, and the supplies they will need?
Is this going to be done with one ship or multiple ships?
What is your evacuation/rescue plan?
How will the astronauts protect their crops from stellar radiation?

Notice I asked about stellar radiation twice? Earth has a large magnetic field shielding us, which Mars lacks. This is the issue that almost everyone ignores, at least publicly. Until we figure out a way to deflect those nasty, invisible stellar particles the manned Mars project is a nonstarter.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 10 May 2016 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Stardusty Psyche - 10 May 2016 04:55 AM

Why is a mountain glacier “essential”?  Essential to who, for what?

The citizens of California who rely on Sierra Nevada snow pack for water, and the farmers in Kansas rely on the Ogallala Aquifer which is replenished by Rocky Mountain snow melt. Without mountain glaciers two of our country’s most important farmland regions will dry up and blow away.

The rest of your post is so shallow and short-sighted that I cannot make myself reread it to respond. Sure, let’s clear cut the Amazon Rain Forest to make room for agriculture. What could possibly go wrong?

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 10 May 2016 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

Transformed does not necessarily mean diminished.  Human beings are an animal species.  If we use land to provide food for our species I do not see that as some kind of inherent evil.

Well seems to me this planet had evolved an incredible biodiversity, one that humans have been steadily nibbling away at.  Now we and our actions are destroying biodiversity at a breakneck speed - with the promise of complete systems collapse in the not too distant future. 
Diminished is diminished.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 10 May 2016 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
DarronS - 10 May 2016 06:01 AM

Why is a mountain glacier “essential”?  Essential to who, for what?

The citizens of California who rely on Sierra Nevada snow pack for water, and the farmers in Kansas rely on the Ogallala Aquifer which is replenished by Rocky Mountain snow melt. Without mountain glaciers two of our country’s most important farmland regions will dry up and blow away.

The rest of your post is so shallow and short-sighted that I cannot make myself reread it to respond. Sure, let’s clear cut the Amazon Rain Forest to make room for agriculture. What could possibly go wrong?

Also they anchor local, regional weather patterns.

As for the astronauts and solar rays - sorry Darron, no room for pragmatic concerns, keep the dream alive.  and all that jazz   smirk

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2016 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Dude, you worry a lot, I think you need to get outside more or something.  It’s a beautiful day, sun, rain, snow, a starry night…it’s all good my friend.

Excuse me a moment - fuk off, I’m over fools telling me not to worry about real and serious stuff.  To you life appears to have the substance of a flat TV screen, I myself see way more layers of texture and details.  You got words and self-certitude to make your point, I’ve got facts unfolding on this planet. 
Me, I take all this seriously, and I’m over apologizing for it.  Now I gotta run.

I know plenty about getting out and enjoying this beautiful world, do it all the time.  That’s why I worked on planting myself in this area of the country.  But that doesn’t’ make the unfolding horrors of the world any less real.

Happy+holidays+2014+small+version.jpeg

Maddy+in+the+upper+40,+Jan2016+copy.jpg

Darron my stairs has turned into a bait and switch - last week it was cut-guy for rafters, then getting ply on the wall.  Today crane is coming in - big beam getting set, back to climbing walls, and to think a couple months back I full on gimp on the couch.  Oh, but the empty stair well is waiting for me.  No more time for chit chat, gotta run.  Life is grand!

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2016 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Have fun. I got my work bench together over the weekend. Have a few more things to post on flea bay today, then will start restoring some of my antique hand tools so I can start on making firewood furniture.

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2016 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2014-06-20
DarronS - 10 May 2016 06:33 AM

Have fun. I got my work bench together over the weekend. Have a few more things to post on flea bay today, then will start restoring some of my antique hand tools so I can start on making firewood furniture.

Hmm, trying to figure that out. Is it firewood before you restore it or does it become firewood after you’ve worked on it?

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 10 May 2016 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

After I’ve worked on it.  wink

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2016 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

It looks as if Archbishop Kraus, who started this thread, has flown the coop for good.

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2016 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Click on his name. He’s been here today but didn’t post. No big loss. He has some interesting thoughts scattered amongst his off-topic ramblings. At least he wasn’t looking for $3 million.

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2016 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
LoisL - 10 May 2016 03:43 PM

It looks as if Archbishop Kraus, who started this thread, has flown the coop for good.

DarronS - 10 May 2016 04:55 PM

Click on his name. He’s been here today but didn’t post. No big loss. He has some interesting thoughts scattered amongst his off-topic ramblings. At least he wasn’t looking for $3 million.

red face  I feel a wee bit bad, I jumped on him pretty hard, over at the inner fish post - I could have been a wee bit more diplomatic, but it just pissed me off.  Perhaps there was a little venting for having so little time for writing these days.  All in a day at the Forum.

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2016 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
citizenschallenge.pm - 10 May 2016 07:01 PM

red face  I feel a wee bit bad, I jumped on him pretty hard, over at the inner fish post - I could have been a wee bit more diplomatic, but it just pissed me off.  Perhaps there was a little venting for having so little time for writing these days.  All in a day at the Forum.

42kmoig.gif

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2016 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
DarronS - 10 May 2016 07:34 PM

42kmoig.gif

LOL

Remember the good ol days, make love not war   kiss

Although I’ll admit, confronting science contrarians my blog writing does take on a wee bit of a pugilistic stance, don’t u know.
Thus the safety glasses.  cool grin

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2016 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2014-06-20

Everyone needs to develop a thick skin to engage in a forum, especially one where topics are volatile. This should be understood at the get-go.

Lois

Signature 

3 of 6