6 of 6
What can ensure that an American lands on Mars within 10 years?
Posted: 15 May 2016 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  288
Joined  2016-01-29

cc - You display such a flippant disregard, yet you expect us to prove something to you,

Indeed, there is always some crackpot crying “the end is nigh”, and I do indeed have a flippant disregard for the endless stream of doomsday prophesies.

And yes, indeed, if you want your particular doomsday prophesy to be taken seriously the burden is most certainly on you to prove your point.

you got your contempt for our planet’s processes

I have neither contempt nor love for our planet’s processes.  They simply exist.  They are not static.  History has shown that life persists though the changes.

That’s a bullshitter in action not any serious student of life and our Earth.

Indeed, my reaction to a crowd that has some kind of fetish for large pieces of ice that are holding land in a state of lifelessness.

0.5% of land in North America is covered in glaciers, yet, somehow, if they melt whole regions are going to dry up.  Well, North America used to be covered in glaciers down to what is now the Northern USA.  Those glaciers are almost all gone yet somehow North America remains saturated with water, but, if that last little percent go, watch out folks, it’s doomsday for sure.

And what would we call Glacier National Park if there isn’t any glacier any more?  Oh yes, a human catastrophe indeed, to have to rename a park, I don’t see how we will live through it.

Posted: 15 May 2016 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

Just so we know what you’re going on about

citizenschallenge.pm - 15 May 2016 08:29 PM
Stardusty Psyche - 15 May 2016 07:46 AM

hackr - What simplistic bullsh!t.
http://www.aspenideas.org/session/“rivers-ice”-vanishing-glaciers-greater-himalaya
But then only the United States and Americans matter.
Oh, sorry.  This thread is about Mars.  Won’t getting to Mars require brains?
psik

So where is counter evidence and reasoning to my “bullshit”?
Lot’s of pretty pictures of glaciers.  No pictures of the wildlife that will be able to grow once the deadly ice melts.

That may be the problem dusty, that seems all you are capable of seeing, and you have no interest in looking any deeper.

Have you ever studied ecological systems?
Have you ever studies California’s mountain hydrology and it’s impact on the valley?
or the relationship between glaciers and mountain weather patterns and how glaciers actually act as meteorological anchored of sorts for regional weather patterns? 
I don’t think you know a thing about California glaciers,
don’t think you’ve never pondered the cascading consequences to California’s hydrology of losing them.
Probably aren’t even concerned about California’s drought
drought-monitor-thumbnail-9-30-150x150.jpg
http://www.californiadrought.org/drought/current-conditions/

But you don’t need to know about any of that, you got your contempt for our planet’s processes, it’s all you need. 
Well that and your political passions.
You know, considering your formulaic responses I’m beginning to think you got both in spades.

You display such a flippant disregard, yet you expect us to prove something to you, yet you have contempt for the topic and think you got it all figured out already.  That’s a bullshitter in action not any serious student of life and our Earth.  smirk

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 16 May 2016 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14
citizenschallenge.pm - 15 May 2016 08:07 PM

If someone like me can come up with facts and has the balls to stand eye ball to eye ball with the Republican/libertarian PR campaign of malicious lies and slander. 

But you don’t CC. You hide here with an audience of about 5-7 people(and some drifting window shoppers) and repeat the same thing over and over.
You’re like a broken record.

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 16 May 2016 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  288
Joined  2016-01-29

cc - Just so we know what you’re going on about

Was there some new content in the repost?

I took another look at the California glaciers.  You know the place many people say is the most beautiful place in California?  Yosemite, of course.  Formed by glaciers but fortunately, the glaciers all melted there and are gone.  If the valley was still filled with ice nothing would be growing there.  Now that the ice is gone we can visit and enjoy all the wonderful life in the ecosystem.

Here is an interesting site on the subject
http://glaciers.research.pdx.edu/glaciers-california

According to the map there are almost no glaciers in Northern California, yet Northern California is a wonderful living forested place that also supports vast agriculture in the valleys and hills.  What few there are in Northern California are not much more then crags in the rocks where the snow piles deep enough and is up high enough that it does not melt in the summer.  Why these small and scattered areas of year round snow pack are thought to be “essential” truly is beyond me.  Yes, they do provide some amount of storage, but there are lots of places that get along just fine without such storage.

What shrinking glaciers do tell us is that the world is in fact warming.  So does shrinking sea ice.  The good news about warming is that it seems to be driving increased snowfall such that Antarctica is actually growing its ice storage, at least for now.  Overall, however, in the long term, warming is likely to lead to sea level rise as land ice melts.  That is a long term problem for coastal regions and island nations.

Posted: 16 May 2016 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  2785
Joined  2007-07-05
Stardusty Psyche - 15 May 2016 06:58 PM

hackr - So you seem have a problem analysing cause, effects and side effects.

Are you saying that life is abundant where it is cold enough to produce galaciers but insufficient precipitation to cause them?

I said:
“Where glaciers exist life is nearly eliminated.”
Ok, where does a glacier exist?  Where does anything exist?  Where it is located.  I hate make such a preposterously obvious statement but you do not seem to understand my simple statement.

At the location of the glacier, the place where the glacier exists, nearly all life is eliminated. Almost nothing lives under, in, or on top of a glacier.  A glacier is almost devoid of life.

I said:
“When glaciers melt life springs forth in abundance on the once barren land.”
So, when a glacier melts it is said to retreat, or shrink.  Land previously covered by life killing ice is then exposed.  Once land is exposed life inevitably moves in.

For example, during the Ice Age much of North America was covered in ice.  That ice killed everything in its path.  As the ice advanced all vegetation and wildlife in its path that could not move was killed.  When the Earth warmed and the deadly ice retreated the land was exposed again at which time life moved back in and we now have lush ecosystems growing on the glacier carved landscapes of North America. 

So, I don’t know what the folks here have invested in glaciers as these wonderful and supposedly “essential” features.  I have been on a glacier.  They are indeed beautiful.  They are also dangerous and devoid of any apparent life.

The point is in all that blather you don’t mention “cold"or “temperature” as though the glacier is the cause rather than the result.  So where is there abundant life when there is cold but not water to make a glacier?  That is the “cause” and “effect” I was talking about.

psik

[ Edited: 17 May 2016 06:35 AM by psikeyhackr ]
 Signature 

Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History

Posted: 16 May 2016 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15
Stardusty Psyche - 16 May 2016 05:07 AM

cc - Just so we know what you’re going on about

Was there some new content in the repost?

I wanted it on this page, okay?

I notice you ignore http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/18673/
which is devoted to trying to share a sampling of why glaciers are critically important to modern human society.

But, you probably aren’t interesting with anything that conflicts with your one-dimensional appreciation for our planet and the processes that have made our society possible in the first place.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 09 March 2017 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  2785
Joined  2007-07-05

NASA`s Mars Mission and WHY we can NOT go to MARS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLZDVsAfUUU

WOW!  Somebody that says going to Mars is ridiculous and robots on the Moon make sense.

psik

Signature 

Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History

Posted: 10 March 2017 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  1460
Joined  2016-12-24
psikeyhackr - 09 March 2017 10:56 PM

NASA`s Mars Mission and WHY we can NOT go to MARS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLZDVsAfUUU

WOW!  Somebody that says going to Mars is ridiculous and robots on the Moon make sense.

psik

I haven’t looked at that.  But you see, we do agree on somethings.  tongue wink
Thinking humans are going to Mars is silly beyond reality.
Spending all that fortune and brain power and effort into the pipe-dream while ignoring what’s happening to our own life support system here on Earth is a CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY.

Posted: 12 March 2017 01:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2014-06-20

Finding a way to put humans on Mars would be a worthwhile venture if we could send Trump and his henchmen and women there. One way tickets, of course.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

6 of 6