I have a great story to share with you all.
Posted: 04 March 2007 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-03-04

Im new to this forum but not to the center.  I was recently fired from my job for openly criticizing religion on my personal blog.  This was a largely christian organization and many of the comments by the owner are laughable to say the least. Although I am a little upset that i have lost my job, my story is great for secular values, so I want to share it with as many people as possible.

This is the link to my blog, where i have an essay that describes this ordeal in detail.
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=39834726&blogID=237090462&MyToken=313f2ea7-8de7-4c06-9a8f-4d023090b55c

Posted: 04 March 2007 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15356
Joined  2006-02-14

Very troubling story derekdyson, but it sounds like it’s for the best that you are no longer employed by such a bigoted person. As to whether it was legal of him to terminate your employment, I am no legal scholar and would have to leave that up to others.

But keep speaking out as best you can. And welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 March 2007 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-03-04

I don’t really want to take legal action because i am not a hate filled person.  I do not want this mans family to be put into poverty because he has fanatical religious beliefs.  I just think that its important that others learn from this experience. Also, I didn’t know the religious beliefs of the owner when i first started working for him….just as he didn’t know my philosophical beliefs.  I will say that working in this environment gave me plenty of opportunities to open the minds of those who worked around me.  Although many of them still consider themselves “christians”, many of their beliefs about the the nature of “god” have changed significantly because of my influence and the questions that I posed to them.

Posted: 05 March 2007 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2006-09-19

I’m floored.

I’m sure that if this happened to me, I would be much less composed than you were. For that, I really admire you. In regards to the legal situation, I think you should take some action. Not all legal cases are about money. You should check your options.

I also read that you’re trying to spread this story around, and wish you the best of luck.