2 of 2
Dunning-Kruger effect
Posted: 06 July 2016 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  288
Joined  2016-01-29

DarronS - Of course there is no objective proof that murdering babies is evil. So what?

So there are a great many, perhaps the large majority, that disagree with you and I on this point.

As any manipulative person, you offer nothing constructive, just criticisms and annoying questions.

I agree with every rational argument about morality you just made.  You simply are not aware of the full context of the thread(s) at issue.

Are you still mad because glaciers on the inhabited continents are not essential to human water supplies?

Posted: 06 July 2016 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  288
Joined  2016-01-29

Lausten - But I’m guessing that won’t be good enough for you

It’s good enough for me because I realize that’s about all we have.  Most of the world is suffering under the delusion there is more.  Dawkins called that the god delusion.

But, as long as one of these delusional folks is posting long “eloquent” ad hominems against me CC seems quite willing to turn a blind eye to the irrationality of the arguments being made, and you just plain don’t seem to get it.  DarronS at least saw the obvious, but he is still mad at me about glaciers so he jumped off track too.

Posted: 07 July 2016 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4181
Joined  2009-10-21
Stardusty Psyche - 06 July 2016 10:02 PM

Lausten - But I’m guessing that won’t be good enough for you

It’s good enough for me because I realize that’s about all we have.  Most of the world is suffering under the delusion there is more.  Dawkins called that the god delusion.

But, as long as one of these delusional folks is posting long “eloquent” ad hominems against me CC seems quite willing to turn a blind eye to the irrationality of the arguments being made, and you just plain don’t seem to get it.  DarronS at least saw the obvious, but he is still mad at me about glaciers so he jumped off track too.

I’m not interested in what others have said about you and I haven’t seen any eloquent ad hominems or irrational arguments, so I can’t comment on those. The delusions that others suffer don’t matter to this conversation.

I don’t really know what you’re saying about morality now. It seems you were arguing against their being absolutes, but since we agree with that, you seem to be lost.

Do you accept this?: You don’t need an absolute moral authority for the word “morality” to have meaning.

Edit: That was supposed to be a question.

[ Edited: 11 July 2016 03:58 AM by Lausten ]

Posted: 11 July 2016 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
Stardusty Psyche - 06 July 2016 09:47 PM

DarronS - Of course there is no objective proof that murdering babies is evil. So what?

So there are a great many, perhaps the large majority, that disagree with you and I on this point.

Once again, so what? When pressed those people could not offer any objective proof, so they are wrong about that point even though the vast majority agree that murdering babies is evil, which is the important point.

As any manipulative person, you offer nothing constructive, just criticisms and annoying questions.

I agree with every rational argument about morality you just made.  You simply are not aware of the full context of the thread(s) at issue.

Which threads are those?

Are you still mad because glaciers on the inhabited continents are not essential to human water supplies?

No, I’m not mad. I’m annoyed because you have a history of posting useless comments such as, “Ok, please provide your absolutely provable, demonstrably objective, provably real, basis for the the statement ‘murdering babies is evil’.” You agree murdering babies is evil, you agree there is no objective proof of such, yet you ask for just that. When you get down to it there is no absolute truth outside mathematics and logic, and even in those disciplines you have to start with agreed-upon postulates to prove anything. Murdering babies is an ethical issue, and there is no such thing as an absolute objective truth in ethics, so asking for such is a distraction from rational discussion.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

2 of 2