Free thinker friends needed!
Posted: 30 July 2016 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-07-27

Hello everyone, my name is Kayla. As I grew up my parents took us to a Methodist church but never forced religion on us, we never even talked about it at home and eventually our whole family stopped going before I was in high school. Religion is not a big deal in our family. My husband and I are both free thinkers and he is the youngest of 8 in a very devout Mormon family & the only ex Mormon which makes being around his family ever extremely hard.. I as a person could care less what anyone believes and I have never asked people that, I feel like if your an honest nice person I don’t care. I have been with my husband since high school and as a young naive girl they have tried to convert me and trick me into missionary dinners, family & church events. The missionaries still come to our house despite us ignoring them now constantly- we get a new pair almost every time! I am not a negative person but I have begun to just bash their religion because I have been pushed so much! It makes it worse that my husband works at the family business and he is treated different by his dad and brothers because they don’t respect him on a personal level (all about religion of course) even though he is such a great person! It is such a struggle.  We have a son now that is 1 and I just began reading Parenting beyond belief. I like it so far but a lot is over my head. I worry about raising my son being a free thinker with his family. Mamma bear is about to come out, but I don’t ever want bad blood! Anyway I could really use some free thinker friends!

Posted: 30 July 2016 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

You’ve come to the right place. Welcome.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 30 July 2016 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
Kayladbr - 30 July 2016 08:41 AM

Hello everyone, my name is Kayla. As I grew up my parents took us to a Methodist church but never forced religion on us, we never even talked about it at home and eventually our whole family stopped going before I was in high school. Religion is not a big deal in our family. My husband and I are both free thinkers and he is the youngest of 8 in a very devout Mormon family & the only ex Mormon which makes being around his family ever extremely hard.. I as a person could care less what anyone believes and I have never asked people that, I feel like if your an honest nice person I don’t care. I have been with my husband since high school and as a young naive girl they have tried to convert me and trick me into missionary dinners, family & church events. The missionaries still come to our house despite us ignoring them now constantly- we get a new pair almost every time! I am not a negative person but I have begun to just bash their religion because I have been pushed so much! It makes it worse that my husband works at the family business and he is treated different by his dad and brothers because they don’t respect him on a personal level (all about religion of course) even though he is such a great person! It is such a struggle.  We have a son now that is 1 and I just began reading Parenting beyond belief. I like it so far but a lot is over my head. I worry about raising my son being a free thinker with his family. Mamma bear is about to come out, but I don’t ever want bad blood! Anyway I could really use some free thinker friends!

Where are you located? It sounds as if you would benefit by joining a freethought organization. I might be able to direct you. You need one on one contact with other free thinkers. Are you connected to any online resources?

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 30 July 2016 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-07-27

Thank you both for your welcome and reply!
I am located in the tri cities- MI. That would be so much help to me, I am not involved in any and would like to be. This is the first group I have joined too. 😀 First time I’m reaching out at all.

Posted: 30 July 2016 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15
Kayladbr - 30 July 2016 01:05 PM

This is the first group I have joined too. 😀 First time I’m reaching out at all.

Welcome.  Feel free to start a thread or two if there’s anything you feel like discussing.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 30 July 2016 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
Kayladbr - 30 July 2016 01:05 PM

Thank you both for your welcome and reply!
I am located in the tri cities- MI. That would be so much help to me, I am not involved in any and would like to be. This is the first group I have joined too. 😀 First time I’m reaching out at all.

I don’t know how close these organizations are to you, but they are worth looking into. Most hold regular meetings.

Center for Inquiry

Executive Director: Jefferson Seaver
Assistant Director: Jennifer Beahan
Address:
3777 44th Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512

Tel: (616) 698-2342
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

There are also American Humanist Association chapters

P.O. Box 4331
Traverse City MI 49684
Phone: (231) 392-1215
http://www.gthumanists.org

28611 W. Twelve Mile Rd.
Farmington Hills MI 48334
Phone: 248-631-9602
https://www.facebook.com/groups/HumanistsOfSoutheastMichigan/

Wayne State Universtiy, 655 West Kirby Mall, Room 938
Detroit MI 48202

also check these websites

http://americanhumanist.org/AHA

http://www.atheismunited.com/wiki/Huge_list_of_atheist_agnostic_skeptic_humanist_websites#Michigan

http://ffrf.org

https://www.secular.org/about/main

http://www.cfimichigan.org

Ann Arbor Humanists
4001 Ann Arbor-Saline Road
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103
United States
Bruce Gibb
phone: (734) 665-6158

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 31 July 2016 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2009-10-21

I really like Dale McGowan. You might be interested in “In Faith and In Doubt”. It addresses issues when partner is religious and the other not. I realize that’s not exactly you, but family dynamics are also discussed.

Posted: 02 August 2016 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2016-07-27

Thank you so much for the resources!! I appreciate it and will check them out smile I can’t wait!

Posted: 02 August 2016 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4218
Joined  2009-10-21

I was born in Flint, but live in MN now. I am Facebook friends with many of the CFI Michigan people. They appear to be a very well organized and fun group. I know it’s far, but I’m sure they would be willing to talk with you. They do occasionally travel too. If nothing else, you could get one or two of them to come speak in Saginaw and maybe generate some interest. Jeremy Beehan and few others did the Reasonable Doubts podcast and should still have a following. Ed Brayton is good too. If you want to connect via Facebook, I’m John Wolforth in that life.

Posted: 03 August 2016 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2007-10-12

Welcome Kayla and thanks for starting a conversation about CFI in Michigan.

As it turns out, while I live in Indiana, I work in Michigan.  Indiana doesn’t seem to have much, at least not within an hour or more of a drive from where I live.  But just this week I stumbled upon a CFI Michigan group that meets once a month in Portage at a place that is less than 10 minutes from where I work.  Due to scheduling conflicts, they canceled their August 5 meeting, but I hope to check them out in September.

I hope you stumble upon a group that can work for you.  cool smile

Signature 

Of all religions the Christian is without doubt the one which should inspire tolerance most, although up to now the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men. -Voltaire