Hello from Vermont.
Posted: 02 August 2016 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-08-01

I have been a non-believer for at least 7 year now. I was born and raised in a large Catholic family. Not strict, just for show. More tradition than anything. I always had my doubts growing up but I went through the motions anyway. I never met an atheist or non- believer until I was 35 years old and it still took me till I was 45 till I fully stopped believing. Now that I am a full blown atheist. Radical in some accounts. I have never felt freer and unbridled.  I have cast the shackles of religion and I am a better person for it.

Posted: 02 August 2016 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4267
Joined  2014-06-20
Trugrit - 02 August 2016 07:10 PM

I have been a non-believer for at least 7 year now. I was born and raised in a large Catholic family. Not strict, just for show. More tradition than anything. I always had my doubts growing up but I went through the motions anyway. I never met an atheist or non- believer until I was 35 years old and it still took me till I was 45 till I fully stopped believing. Now that I am a full blown atheist. Radical in some accounts. I have never felt freer and unbridled.  I have cast the shackles of religion and I am a better person for it.

Congratulations and welcome.  Most of us have also taken that journey. Do you belong to any freethought organizations?

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 03 August 2016 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-08-01

I joined AHA almost a year ago but that is it. I don’t like to label things, particularly people. But if I was to tag myself it would be as a secular humanist. Interestingly, that is what brought me to the CFI web page and this forum. Someone asked me what does a non believer do for funerals, weddings etc. I did not have a ready answer so I started to look into it.  Vermont is the least religious state in the country, with only 22% of the people willing to call themselves “very religious.“and yet I was unable to find someone that performs secular services. I came across the CFI Celebrant Certification and am considering pursuing it. I think as non-religious as Vt is that is service I could provide for the non religious community here in Vt.

Posted: 03 August 2016 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4267
Joined  2014-06-20
Trugrit - 03 August 2016 01:47 PM

I joined AHA almost a year ago but that is it. I don’t like to label things, particularly people. But if I was to tag myself it would be as a secular humanist. Interestingly, that is what brought me to the CFI web page and this forum. Someone asked me what does a non believer do for funerals, weddings etc. I did not have a ready answer so I started to look into it.  Vermont is the least religious state in the country, with only 22% of the people willing to call themselves “very religious.“and yet I was unable to find someone that performs secular services. I came across the CFI Celebrant Certification and am considering pursuing it. I think as non-religious as Vt is that is service I could provide for the non religious community here in Vt.

You can become a secular celebrant through the AHA.

Go here.

http://thehumanistsociety.org/apply/

Many people use Unitarian clergy when no secular celebrant is available. Despite the fact that their organization is considered a church, most are secular and non-religious.

Here’s one Humanist celebrant in Vermont

oneil_matthew.jpg
Matthew O’Neil
Celebrant Chaplain
133 Lincoln Ave Saint Albans VT 5478 United States
802-363-2089
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]