5 of 5
Tell your story: Were you once a Christian who has now become secular
Posted: 23 July 2017 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2017-06-25
Beltane - 22 July 2017 07:22 PM

Genetic heritage is impossible to get away from, cultural heritage is close to impossible to escape; it’s a mistake to think Catholicism is in the genes, though. An intellectual bent is probably genetic, curiosity is probably genetic, religiosity might be genetic, but not a particular religion itself.

Ok, I’m willing to accept that correction.  Your statement that “cultural heritage is close to impossible to escape” seems adequate to make my point.

That’s what I experience.  Some aspects of Catholic culture I had the option to discard as an act of will.  Haven’t been to Mass in 50 years for example.  But I don’t seem to have the power to walk away from these topics.

I had an interesting experience once which seems relevant.  I was wandering around the web and stumbled in to an Israeli forum.  It seemed like joining would be educational for me, so I jumped in.  It was amazing how at home I felt there, even while making highly heretical points such as the creation of Israel being a mistake.  Ideologically I was far outside the group consensus, but culturally I was right in the zone, I fit right in.  And there’s no Jewish heritage in my family tree at all.  But then I remembered, ah ha!...

Catholics are the children of the Jews.  I had stumbled upon my cultural grandparents.  Hi grandpa, hi grandma!

Signature 

Countdown To Zero - Nuclear Weapons Documentary

Posted: 23 July 2017 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2017-06-25

As far as “god talk” is concerned, it’s not a favorite topic of mine anyway.

I always get a giggle when atheists declare they aren’t that interested in god topics, while they’re spending every day on forums dedicated to such subjects.

Signature 

Countdown To Zero - Nuclear Weapons Documentary

Posted: 24 July 2017 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2017-07-20
Tanny - 23 July 2017 06:34 AM

Ok, I’m willing to accept that correction.  Your statement that “cultural heritage is close to impossible to escape” seems adequate to make my point.

That’s what I experience.  Some aspects of Catholic culture I had the option to discard as an act of will.  Haven’t been to Mass in 50 years for example.  But I don’t seem to have the power to walk away from these topics.

I had an interesting experience once which seems relevant.  I was wandering around the web and stumbled in to an Israeli forum.  It seemed like joining would be educational for me, so I jumped in.  It was amazing how at home I felt there, even while making highly heretical points such as the creation of Israel being a mistake.  Ideologically I was far outside the group consensus, but culturally I was right in the zone, I fit right in.  And there’s no Jewish heritage in my family tree at all.  But then I remembered, ah ha!...

Catholics are the children of the Jews.  I had stumbled upon my cultural grandparents.  Hi grandpa, hi grandma!

That’s not who they are.  Their grandparents are your grandparents.

Signature 

Christian

Posted: 05 August 2017 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2017-07-15
Beltane - 22 July 2017 06:57 PM
LoisL - 22 July 2017 12:22 PM
Beltane - 15 July 2017 04:20 PM

I became an atheist around 16 or 17. No idea why, I just started doubting the existence of god for some reason. Before then I happily believed in god even though I wasn’t brought up particularly religiously.

I don’t think atheism has really affected my life in a good or bad way; it is a small part of my personality overall.

It probably leads you to think rationally. Atheism is a product of rational thinking.

LL

Well, sometimes.

I find your “Well, sometimes” quote perceptive.  I have a friend who was raised in an atheist home and so came by her atheism the same way most of us came by our religion.  When I met her I expected that because she was atheist she would be rational.  I found over the years, though, that she had few critical thinking skills and was a sucker for every sort of quackeopathy, and half believed in astrology and fortune tellers.  Since atheism is clearly growing among the populace we need to somehow focus on passing along to our children not merely the atheism but the techniques and habits of sceptical examination.

Posted: 13 November 2017 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2017-10-26

I was born Muslim, converted to Christianity about 18 years ago. and Yes, Jesus does EXIST, and NO, I AM NOT delusional or crazy.

The End!!!

LMAO

PS: People, please don’t beat on me. I am not interested in that. ....

Posted: 13 November 2017 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Tanny - 23 July 2017 06:38 AM

I always get a giggle when atheists declare they aren’t that interested in god topics, while they’re spending every day on forums dedicated to such subjects.

Because we get god talk blasted at us from every direction every day. Why shouldn’t we want go bring some reason to the cacophony? I really have to laugh at theists who spend their lives proselytizing their beliefs, but whan a handful of atheists ask them some hard questions they suddenly go crazy and wonder why atheists are so voluble! The pot calls the kettle black.

Lois

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 14 November 2017 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2005-01-14
LoisL - 13 November 2017 09:20 PM
Tanny - 23 July 2017 06:38 AM

Because we get god talk blasted at us from every direction every day. Why shouldn’t we want go bring some reason to the cacophony? I really have to laugh at theists who spend their lives proselytizing their beliefs, but whan a handful of atheists ask them some hard questions they suddenly go crazy and wonder why atheists are so voluble! The pot calls the kettle black.

Lois

Well, this is Tanny.  He wasn’t here long enough to notice that at least on this forum, we don’t spend a lot of time on “god topics”.  And if you follow Beltane’s posting history (the person he was addressing), he genuinely doesn’t often join in those topics.  I guess Tanny was too busy “giggling” to realize this.  smile

Posted: 14 November 2017 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Total Posts:  4163
Joined  2009-10-21
InBetween - 13 November 2017 04:39 PM

I was born Muslim, converted to Christianity about 18 years ago. and Yes, Jesus does EXIST, and NO, I AM NOT delusional or crazy.

The End!!!

LMAO

PS: People, please don’t beat on me. I am not interested in that. ....

Please don’t claim that disagreeing with you is “beating on you”. We don’t beat on anybody. If someone described beliefs that were not harmful, actually helpful, had some historical basis and support, fit with biology and physics, I’d be fine with it. Even if there was some ritual I didn’t understand or some unprovable aspect to it.

But I have a problem with belief itself. It means accepting something as true with no evidence. There is always a danger in that. It should only be done with other choices are not available.

Posted: 14 November 2017 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-10-26
donmartin500 - 05 August 2017 02:43 PM

I find your “Well, sometimes” quote perceptive.  I have a friend who was raised in an atheist home and so came by her atheism the same way most of us came by our religion.  When I met her I expected that because she was atheist she would be rational.  I found over the years, though, that she had few critical thinking skills and was a sucker for every sort of quackeopathy, and half believed in astrology and fortune tellers.  Since atheism is clearly growing among the populace we need to somehow focus on passing along to our children not merely the atheism but the techniques and habits of sceptical examination.

Many so called atheists are nothing but pot smokers and sex addicts (among other things) who claim to be “atheists” but in truth are not. They do, to attempt to escape the moral discipline religion imposes by making such phony claim. And the minute they are probed or confronted, watch the fundamentalist pop outta the woods. IT’s almost like performing an exorcism LMAO ROFLR!!! Those I do not call “Atheists”. In my opinion, they are nothing but leaches riding on the backs of the Legitimate ones. But I suppose every category has it’s own phonies.

Posted: 14 November 2017 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-10-26
Lausten - 14 November 2017 10:01 AM

Please don’t claim that disagreeing with you is “beating on you”. We don’t beat on anybody. If someone described beliefs that were not harmful, actually helpful, had some historical basis and support, fit with biology and physics, I’d be fine with it. Even if there was some ritual I didn’t understand or some unprovable aspect to it.

But I have a problem with belief itself. It means accepting something as true with no evidence. There is always a danger in that. It should only be done with other choices are not available.

I was not talking about Atheists. I was talking about morons who the minute they find out you did something that does not fit into their tiny box, they come at you with machetes and what have you. I cannot stand those types. I am not inviting anyone but, Atheists actually when they beat one, First, they do it with Class and even Grace, then Second, if the person gives them half a chance, they end up teaching one something New and weighty. And I have no problem with that whatsoever. I am no ass kisser but I happen to Believe that Atheists are Great Educators.

And speaking of “belief” if I believe you’re a good guy or Atheists in general are decent people (based on my past experience), then I have no evidence for that belief? Or if I belief that the practice of forgiveness has a healing effect that surpasses human understanding, Again based on a breakthrough experience I had with Christ, then I have no evidence to support that?
Belief is not a shallow word or expression.

Posted: 15 November 2017 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Total Posts:  4163
Joined  2009-10-21
InBetween - 14 November 2017 05:01 PM

And speaking of “belief” if I believe you’re a good guy or Atheists in general are decent people (based on my past experience), then I have no evidence for that belief? Or if I belief that the practice of forgiveness has a healing effect that surpasses human understanding, Again based on a breakthrough experience I had with Christ, then I have no evidence to support that?
Belief is not a shallow word or expression.

Putting words in color or quotes or caps does not tell me much about what you mean by them. Also your questions don’t make much sense. I don’t know if you have evidence or not. I don’t know how a healing effect surpasses human understanding or what you consider a breakthrough experience.

Posted: 15 November 2017 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2017-10-26
Lausten - 15 November 2017 05:22 AM

...Also your questions don’t make much sense. .

Neither does your false accusation. Now go back to playing with your toys.

5 of 5