2 of 2
hell freezes over: there’s an atheist in Congress
Posted: 23 March 2007 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2003-09-24

All I’d like to add to this is that it might be a REALLY hot day in Hell when a HUMANIST is a member of congress :evil:  The closest I have seen so far may be Barbara Lee, Barbara Boxer and Dennis Kucinich.

Signature 

Barry F. Seidman
Exec. Producer of Equal Time for Freethought

Posted: 23 March 2007 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7613
Joined  2007-03-02

Hell isn’t hot, it’s FREAKIN’ FREEZIN’!  Dead of winter with ice, fallen trees, and down power and phone lines everywhere you go and sub-zero temps is TRULY hell. Try a week of that like we did and you will know what hell REALLY is and it AIN’T down there somewhere.  Oh we found a place to stay with one of the VERY few friends who had electricity, still that is the TRUE definition of hell though.

Seriously though, I would love to see a Humanist in office.  Thing is, like you, I don’t think it will happen in our lifetime.  :(

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 March 2007 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2006-11-24

In my experience UU churches vary greatly, from xtian to pagan to rationalist. Jefferson Unitarian here in Golden, CO bills itself as “A Religious Home for the Liberal Spirit” and in the very first service I attended on Veterans day a 70yo vet in uniform read one of the most vicious passages of the bible (where God tells his folks to slaugther everyone and take their cattle and women), and then related his life story of going from soldier to war resister, and from seminarian to atheist. The sermon was then about the selective use of the bible, and why it’s looked as as just another book by UUs. But yes, there are Pagans who meet here as well as Buddhists (and lately, though to the chagrin of the ministers (and mine), a 9/11 conspiracy group.
(Check out some of the truly exceptional sermons online, on subjects as Sam Harris, David Korten, bad biblical literalism etc at

Jefferson Unitarian is a rapidly growing church, now at 800, offering 3 services and thinking about building. Apparently there’s quite a few people out there with some remnants of religiosity, “awe” or desire for a community that provides fellowship and contemplation of important life issues. Given where this US society is at, many of those will have theistic concepts. They may or may not lose them over time. My feeling is many theists will eventually shed those concepts, recognizing that the idea of a personal god is simply childish and impossible, and that a watered down concept of a now vanished creator does not yield any explanatory power nor moral guidance -so why bother at all.

2 of 2

‹‹ Board error messages?      Just wondering... ››