All people are good
Posted: 15 September 2016 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10

Since I believe this, Christianity is off the list of possible compatible belief alternatives. So is Muslim and traditional Jewish, and most others. All people, even you reading this, are good.

Good is a relative term. Relative to me and my life. It is relative to you and your life. Good is a fit with humanism since most non-religious people tend to believe they are generally good.

Behavior is only good or not when it helps reach or maintain quality of life or length of life or attain a goal.
Just because I choose to think of you, or believe, you are good does not mean we are in some “special” relationship or I want to have a nice conversation with you. If you hurt me, I’ll find a way to hurt you back. That is good. We are all good, unless we are gluttons for punishment.

Christianity has nothing to do with “good”, just arbitrary selfish judgement. Christians are good. Their behaviors are atrocious and cause atrocity.

Saying to myself and all others, “you are a good person” is healthy and happy and safe.

Be good is another question. I do judge actions not inherent worth.

Jim

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 16 September 2016 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1541
Joined  2012-04-25

I agree with you in theory. The problem comes in when not of all peoples needs are met. Some time in the distant future, when all physical needs of all people on earth are met to eaches satisfaction, greed will die out, crime will die out, and the basic good nature of people will be apparent. Until then, we’re stuck with ourselves as bad-doers, or rather our bad nature overwhelms our good nature.

Posted: 16 September 2016 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4059
Joined  2009-10-21

Given the sarcasm on some other threads, I’m not sure how to take you. And this bit is inconsistent and circular.

“If you hurt me, I’ll find a way to hurt you back.”

Hurt you how? physically? But what was my intent? Should your hurt be proportional to mine? Who judges that?

I’m just getting started.

Posted: 16 October 2016 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2016-02-27

I think this is why I’m a liberal.

I have a conservative upbringing that condemn liberalism. But as I grew up, I watch it is these liberals, these heretics who are more compassionate, less racist, more tolerant. This is simply because the belief that human beings are inherently good.

Posted: 20 October 2016 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10
Lausten - 16 September 2016 11:29 AM

Given the sarcasm on some other threads, I’m not sure how to take you. And this bit is inconsistent and circular.

“If you hurt me, I’ll find a way to hurt you back.”

Hurt you how? physically? But what was my intent? Should your hurt be proportional to mine? Who judges that?

I’m just getting started.

It seems you got stuck on an example of the principle rather than the principle itself which is That accepting all people is good as both healthy and right for positive living universally.

There are a few people, I among them, who would consider your labeling past behavior as sarcasm without providing a specific example is a bit of a “hit and run insult” and the kind of behavior that is hurtful. I still think you’re a good person which is good for me To do but I believe your behavior may be hurtful by writing that something is sarcastic based on some vague reference to the past.

Your questions about hurtful behavior did not demonstrate any inconsistency in logic nor circular reasoning. They only demonstrate that it may not have been clear to you.

While you’re just “getting started” all this can be excused for obviously you didn’t state your full ideas. Instead it was just a quick hit-and-run. Perhaps the doorbell rang and you needed to answer. Regardless and I think you’re a good person and Your post In response to mine as quoted above is in need of More work.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 26 May 2017 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2017-05-26

Mark 10:18

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus asked him. “No one is good but One—God.