3 of 3
secular arguments AGAINST gay marriage?
Posted: 03 August 2007 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Hmmm. “If you support gay marriage, stand behind me, close behind me.”  No, I guess not. 

Occam

Posted: 04 August 2007 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-07-12

i am late to the party but that’s the story of my life wink

so, okay—NO. no there are no LOGICAL arguments against non-hetero marriages. even the religious-based arguments don’t make sense to me, because we’re not talking about two women walking into a church and wanting to wed. we’re talking about two consenting adults looking for legal protection of their partnership and commitment to each other. separation of church and state my ass.

personally, i’m not even that comfortable with civil unions. yes they’re better than nothing, but settling for better than nothing and not true equality makes me think that it’s almost admitting that non-hetero couples are NOT equal to hetero couples, and accepting this “special right” (which is really what it is if you’re not getting a true marriage out of the deal with the same terminology and everything).

i wondered if any hetero couples have gone in and requested a civil union rather than a marriage. and what would happen if they were denied the CU, and told they had to be married instead. wouldn’t that then be special treatment? or a better argument. if i were in such a state/position, i’d love to find out.

i simply do not understand where the harm is in allowing non-hetero legal unions. i mean, SO WHAT? seriously—what will happen if adam and steve are allowed to get a marriage license? how is it any different than dick and jane? they’ll still be paying their taxes, they’ll still be voting in the same elections, shopping at the same supermarkets, arguing about the same things over washing dishes, live in the same homes, drive the same cars… as if they weren’t “married.” i just DONT GET IT.

man this frustrates me to no end. that must have been while i felt compelled to respond smile

Posted: 04 August 2007 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Well, I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to come up with one, but here it is:

Allowing gay marriage - sure.  No problem with that.  It changes the idea of marriage a little bit from the old traditional sense but -heck!- if a guy and a guy (or a girl and and a girl) love each other and are together for as long, or longer than, a hetero- couple it’d be wrong if their pension rights were not equal, etc.  Sure.  I’ve no problem with that.  And, supposing, through no fault of your own, you just happen to be bi-, it might mean that some of the time you are able to have a loving physical relationship with a woman and at other times a man.  It’d be difficult enough to find a mutually acceptable arrangement and to stay together in sickness and in health as a threesome, so perhaps these kinds of a relationship need some sort of legal protection too.  And then you might find that you can only really survive as part of a couple and that not being with other couples puts a strain on your relationship and if you could just maybe do a little bit of swinging, it’d keep you together and prevent marriage breakdown and be bettre all round for all concerned.  And what if… What I’m saying here, is that it’s the thin end of the wedge and merciful god who destroyed sodom and gomorrah will strike down his merciful wrath upon all of us sinners and…

Okay, so maybe I failed in finding a secular and rational argument against gay marriage.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 04 August 2007 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

Actually Sodom and Gomorrah were not destroyed because of homosexuality but because of rape of both men and women.
How the rumor ever got started it was over homosexuality I do not know but I suspect that rumor only got started in the last fifty years as many rumors and lies have been told is in the bible when it is not and if it is not in the bible then some one re-writes another bible to make sure the new bible gets it in there. The layman does not even understand the bible much less know what it means.

However getting back to same sex marriage it is a civil rights issue and I am in the civil rights movement and have been since 1944 when I did my first picketing in Phoenix Arizona against a restaurant who refused to serve what was then called “colored people” and my picketing got into the newspaper and more more people showed up and picketed with me.

If one person or group loses their civil rights we all loose our civil rights as well. Civil rights is everyone’s concern.
I support same sex marriage for that reason; civil rights for all people. We are all born equal but it takes a bigot to take away our equality and it takes commitment of us all to work together to make sure our equality and equality of others remains on the equal ground in order to stabilize that equality.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

3 of 3