2 of 24
Is life a curse?
Posted: 31 October 2016 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4163
Joined  2009-10-21
CuthbertJ - 31 October 2016 10:11 AM

It’s funny that you say “to live is to suffer”, when presumably you’ve had a nice breakfast, sat down at your laptop with wifi and internet access, and so on. And I think in another thread you were the guy that had no kids. So you’ve never had a sick child who was suffering. You sound like a pampered baby. You sound like ME thirty years ago. Quit the “woe is me” crap and get out there and live. Do something nice for someone, even if you don’t know why you’re doing it. Just do it.

It was kinda nice to see him telling Mike that he doesn’t make sense, at least he’s smart enough to see that. However, he’s saying the same things to Mike that he says to everyone, that we didn’t answer his question, and we can’t prove things. A clock that isn’t running is right twice a day. I don’t think Tita would be happy even if you said he was absolutely right. He doesn’t want to just complain, he wants us to justify why that’s all he should be doing.

Posted: 31 October 2016 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1003
Joined  2015-12-29
MikeYohe - 31 October 2016 10:15 AM
Titanomachina - 31 October 2016 09:36 AM
MikeYohe - 31 October 2016 08:58 AM
Titanomachina - 30 October 2016 06:59 PM

To be honest that all sounds like bs to me.

Good answer, thank god. I came across your posting and thought you were either suicidal or a drama queen. I just could not just ignore your plea for help. I took the direction to get you to dialogue to see just how serious you were about why you should keep living. You tagged me on this one. cheese  Of course the answers to your questions is known to everyone. The reason for life is to reproduce. But if you were being suicidal, I couldn’t go down that street not knowing your sexual preferences without taking the chance of making your situation more peril. Therefore I went for an intellectual direction on the subject to get you to respond on one of the more controversial paths of your posting subject matter.

Now that I know you are OK, let’s put this baby to bed. You’re not ready yet to leave the programed thinking and step up to table where one of the puzzles of mankind is trying to be solved. You really have to be open minded and willing to use common sense where the facts don’t exist all the time. The good part is that we have more and more professors willing to work in this controversy dominated method.  Here is an example on the data I brought up.

Professor Gerald Crabtree, who heads a genetics laboratory at Stanford University in California, has put forward the iconoclastic idea that rather than getting cleverer, human intelligence peaked several thousand years ago and from then on there has been a slow decline in our intellectual and emotional abilities.

Although we are now surrounded by the technological and medical benefits of a scientific revolution, these have masked an underlying decline in brain power which is set to continue into the future leading to the ultimate dumbing-down of the human species, Professor Crabtree said.

His argument is based on the fact that for more than 99 per cent of human evolutionary history, we have lived as hunter-gatherer communities surviving on our wits, leading to big-brained humans. Since the invention of agriculture and cities, however, natural selection on our intellect has effective stopped and mutations have accumulated in the critical “intelligence” genes.

“I would wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our colleagues and companions, with a good memory, a broad range of ideas and a clear-sighted view of important issues,” Professor Crabtree says in a provocative paper published in the journal Trends in Genetics.

“Furthermore, I would guess that he or she would be among the most emotionally stable of our friends and colleagues. I would also make this wager for the ancient inhabitants of Africa, Asia, India or the Americas, of perhaps 2,000 to 6,000 years ago,” Professor Crabtree says.

I call that bs because l it doesn’t address my question and also it cannot be proven. That is simply an opinion. I woldnt say that people from Athens back then aren’t likely to be smarter than people today (they probably might be less so since they know far less than we do today). We did it survive on wits we survivors on cooperation. The entire paragraph just shows a poor understanding of evolution and the passing of genes. He has little more than personal opinion and no data to support it.

But reproducing isn’t a reason for life, that’s what it does. But that doesn’t mean it should keep going. Also telling me to use common sense is idiotic (because not only is common sense subjective it’s also virtually nonexistent).

But you still fail to answer my question at all, instead just going on tangents that are completely irrelevant to my point. It doesn’t answer why one should stay alive, especially when our lives amount to little more than seeking pleasure (or simple stimulus response).

Titan, let’s be clear on our statements. When I said using common sense. I was referring to a method of research where facts are not always available. What we have as common laymen is the ability to watch the experts and professors from an unbiased viewing point and use our common sense as to what we think the best and correct theories are while maintaining our ability to be able to change 180 degrees on our views at any time. Some people refuse to use unproven theories and they spend a lot of time judging and criticizing others.

I did give you an answer to your question. I said that it is mankind’s task to take care of the earth for mankind. What could be a more purposeful reason for living added to the reproduction and raising the next generation? You can see people on this site that are doing just that with Climate Change.

You actually didn’t answer my question. Also using common sense as a measure for anything is bound to end in failure.

But who says it’s our task to look after the earth for man? Who gave us that? And why should we bother with that (which is the key point you didn’t answer).

Posted: 31 October 2016 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

It’s funny that you say “to live is to suffer”, when presumably you’ve had a nice breakfast, sat down at your laptop with wifi and internet access, and so on. And I think in another thread you were the guy that had no kids. So you’ve never had a sick child who was suffering. You sound like a pampered baby. You sound like ME thirty years ago. Quit the “woe is me” crap and get out there and live. Do something nice for someone, even if you don’t know why you’re doing it. Just do it.

That doesn’t explain why I should do any of that (it’s still irrrelevant to my point) or address the whole fact that such good feelings are just chemical processes in the body and what we do is perform actions that trigger them. It’s like a drug addict almost.

http://tinybuddha.com/topic/life-has-no-meaning-other-than-our-own-pleasure-and-suffering/

I think this pokes a few holes in your helping others bit also (just to stay on topic).

Posted: 31 October 2016 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Titanomachina - 29 October 2016 02:07 PM

But what about the struggle to live? Why keep on living in this world that we have created? How can one find any meaning in this fabrication?

What fabrication is that? Our struggle to live is genetic. You imply we have a choice. Whether we find meaning in our lives has no impact on our iinstinct to survive. Meaning is conscious, the struggle to live is not.

[ Edited: 31 October 2016 01:56 PM by LoisL ]
 Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 31 October 2016 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
LoisL - 31 October 2016 01:52 PM
Titanomachina - 29 October 2016 02:07 PM

But what about the struggle to live? Why keep on living in this world that we have created? How can one find any meaning in this fabrication?

What fabrication is that? Our struggle to live is genetic. You imply we have a choice. Whether we find meaning in our lives has no impact on our iinstinct to survive. Meaning is conscious, the struggle to live is not.

I mean the world and rules humans made for themselves

Posted: 31 October 2016 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

He sound like a whiny little kid. Dude was born in the most prosperous society in history and complains like he’s suffering. He should visit some countries where people really have it bad. Maybe then he would realize how lucky he is, put on some big boy undies and work to improve the world instead of whining about how pointless everything is.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 31 October 2016 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
DarronS - 31 October 2016 04:57 PM

He sound like a whiny little kid. Dude was born in the most prosperous society in history and complains like he’s suffering. He should visit some countries where people really have it bad. Maybe then he would realize how lucky he is, put on some big boy undies and work to improve the world instead of whining about how pointless everything is.

That dodges my question and the link I provided. Also why bother to do anything if it’s just pointless?

I would rather be them because then at least the problems I have would be more real and I wouldn’t be thinking about this for weeks on end. Nothing can distract me from this, despite what you might claim with your suggestions.

Posted: 31 October 2016 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

He knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s perfectly capable of seeing that tiny Buddha site as the joke that it is.

Posted: 31 October 2016 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 31 October 2016 06:09 PM

He knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s perfectly capable of seeing that tiny Buddha site as the joke that it is.

Did you even read the argument being made? You just dismiss things outright without reading them?

Posted: 01 November 2016 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 31 October 2016 06:44 PM

Did you even read the argument being made? You just dismiss things outright without reading them?

Yes I read it. It’s a rambling rant. It makes a claim and keeps restating. There is no logic, no evidence.

I did miss the follow up thought last time. It comes in a separate post, after the long one:

One final very important point I would like to make is that I have depression as well as severe chronic anhedonia (emotional numbness) in which there are never any brief moments of pleasure whatsoever. Therefore, I feel that my life is worthless and that there is nothing good about me or my life without my own pleasure and this is why I wish to discuss this issue and my personal beliefs.

This is MattMSV7, aka Mozart Link, and as I have suspected for some time, you are him. Pretty sure that setting up double names is a violation of forum rules.

[ Edited: 01 November 2016 04:33 AM by Lausten ]

Posted: 01 November 2016 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
Titanomachina - 31 October 2016 05:29 PM

I would rather be them because then at least the problems I have would be more real and I wouldn’t be thinking about this for weeks on end.

Then sell everything you have and move to Ethiopia and become a farmer, or move to Bangladesh and become a street beggar.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 01 November 2016 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
DarronS - 01 November 2016 07:48 AM
Titanomachina - 31 October 2016 05:29 PM

I would rather be them because then at least the problems I have would be more real and I wouldn’t be thinking about this for weeks on end.

Then sell everything you have and move to Ethiopia and become a farmer, or move to Bangladesh and become a street beggar.

Pretty bizarre argument isn’t it? Not sure if I’ve heard that one before. He’s not happy because his privileged lifestyle is meaningless. He sees that others who struggle for survival have a purpose, they want to live past 30, they want to make the world better so others don’t struggle like they do. But that just gives him one more thing to be sad about; he’s suffering because he doesn’t suffer.

Posted: 01 November 2016 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  2207
Joined  2013-06-01

Ok, I will agree that you are asking a question of deep thought. I was sidelined because of the possible suicidal aspect of your statement.
Let’s break down where we are in your question.

1)  But it seems like we go through much pain and suffering to keep on going with our lives. Agreed.
2)  Sometimes that is met with little reward and yet we keep going. Agreed.
3)  So might say life is pointless and that we are just degrading bags of flesh who feel short changes when life is less than what we want it to so we make it out to be more than what it is. Disagreed.
4)  Is there little more to what life offers than breathing, reproduction, death. Yes.
5)  Is it a curse of the advanced mind to find purpose and meaning in the life that we live even though we live in a universe absent of it? Subject matter A.   
6)  Is it a curse of the advanced mind to find purpose and meaning in the life that we live even though we live in a universe absent of it? Subject matter B.
7)  Is that why we create such complicated structures, rules, and rituals in order to feel like our lives have meaning (which is because of our advanced intellect)? Sure fits what the government does.
8)  Is there any meaning to the things that we do when the methods by which we judge such acts are rather arbitrary as are our judgments about the quality of the acts themselves? Too vague to understand the question.
9)  It seems like we live in a world of our own design to make life just be more than a struggle and more than simply reproducing. If true, I think that is what the Christian blueprint wanted.
10)  Are we hiding from some truth that living is a curse? First you have to prove life is a curse. Pain and suffering may not be a curse, it may just be part of living.

Could you take the time to review your “advanced mind” theory. Your curse seems to be connected to the “advanced mind”. Maybe it is more of today’s advanced technology giving us more to think about. Therefore an advanced mind is what we need to keep up with the technology.

Posted: 02 November 2016 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I mean that unlike animals we need meaning in life to keep going. Advanced mind is in terms of human versus nonhuman.

Posted: 02 November 2016 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 01 November 2016 04:24 AM
Titanomachina - 31 October 2016 06:44 PM

Yes I read it. It’s a rambling rant. It makes a claim and keeps restating. There is no logic, no evidence.

I did miss the follow up thought last time. It comes in a separate post, after the long one:

One final very important point I would like to make is that I have depression as well as severe chronic anhedonia (emotional numbness) in which there are never any brief moments of pleasure whatsoever. Therefore, I feel that my life is worthless and that there is nothing good about me or my life without my own pleasure and this is why I wish to discuss this issue and my personal beliefs.

This is MattMSV7, aka Mozart Link, and as I have suspected for some time, you are him. Pretty sure that setting up double names is a violation of forum rules.

I can assure you that I am not that individual.

2 of 24