3 of 24
Is life a curse?
Posted: 02 November 2016 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4181
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 02 November 2016 06:59 AM

I can assure you that I am not that individual.

I’ll have to take your word for it. But you linked to him and claimed his argument was valid. That’s enough for me to dismiss almost anything you say in the future. Any long essay like that should be able to be summarized. I doubt you could do that. If it can’t be summarized, you should be able to pick out key points and provide additional background information and supporting evidence that would help me understand it. You can’t do that either.

You can search on Mozart Link posts and see where we ended with him. Once I found out he was MattMSV7 and had been posting his rants for years on forums all over, never accepting any feedback, and consistently altering his facts when it suited him, he quit posting.

Posted: 03 November 2016 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  1014
Joined  2015-12-29

That still doesn’t take away the absurdity of life. Regardless of how you dress it up it’s just eat, action, pleasure, repeat. You can try to clutch meaning and purpose like they’re life rafts but everything we do just boils down to the same mechanics. Without some outside force, life is meaningless and purposeless. Creating meaning is, ironically, the most meaningless thing one can do. It’s like deluding yourself.

The following is what someone said to me in regards to this matter:

You are 100% right that life is empty and meaningless and pointless - without God, that is. (I’m an evangelical Christian; so I did want to share my viewpoint on it.) Without God, life is indeed just like what animals are like - chemical stimuli, pleasure responses, nothing of significance, “sound and fury,” like Shakespeare says, “signifying nothing.” You are absolutely correct that, if one does not take God into account, that there would be no meaningful reason to go on living.

There’s a book that mentions a story like this - I unfortunately cannot recall the title - it tells a real story about a Russian man, who, during the Cold War, was in a subway in the Soviet Union with other commuters and felt intense despair when he thought about life and felt the same belief that you do - that life is meaningless and purposeless. But then he was suddenly hit by an epiphany - “without God life makes no sense.” And he walked out of the subway station with that sudden glow and revelation.

Posted: 03 November 2016 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

Also this link that slaughters meaning with the last few paragraphs.

http://www.rationality.net/meaning.htm

Posted: 04 November 2016 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 03 November 2016 08:06 PM

Also this link that slaughters meaning with the last few paragraphs.

I’m not going to read all the details of your links, because they have been consistently terrible, but this one says, “be happy”. It says there is likely no god. So, once again, you contradict yourself. You are saying happiness is a reasonable goal.

This is what the conclusion of your article is “the only real success in life: Optimal, lasting happiness”. How is that different from what I’ve been saying?

[ Edited: 04 November 2016 06:41 AM by Lausten ]

Posted: 04 November 2016 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

Because it says there is no point in making others happy or helping others. It also says that meaning is useless. Isn’t a life that jumps from one happiness to the other just hollow?

Posted: 04 November 2016 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2009-10-21
Titanomachina - 04 November 2016 04:57 PM

Because it says there is no point in making others happy or helping others. It also says that meaning is useless. Isn’t a life that jumps from one happiness to the other just hollow?

Okay. I asked you to go read something and you did. But it wasn’t very long, and you just read to find sentences that you already agreed with. It doesn’t say anything about how you find happiness. It certainly doesn’t say that happiness is just satisfying your short term desires. I already covered long term happiness earlier. I’m not going to respond to whatever you throw up. You put something up about believing in God, then the next thing said God doesn’t exist. You don’t really care about anything. You just want attention.

Go outside. I’m in the northernmost part of the country and it was 69 today. I’m assuming it’s nice where you are.

Posted: 04 November 2016 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I’m looking for a serious resolution to a problem that has been plaguing me for weeks. I feel hollow inside. Like the things I once enjoyed bring nothing, that my actions mean nothing.

What did you say about long term happiness?

Posted: 05 November 2016 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

“Are dreams better than reality” thread. Pg 7

Posted: 05 November 2016 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
Lausten - 05 November 2016 03:58 AM

“Are dreams better than reality” thread. Pg 7

I looked through that and found nothing. If you are referring to that post cast I believe the link I posted pretty much neutralized it.

Posted: 05 November 2016 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Lausten - 02 November 2016 07:21 AM
Titanomachina - 02 November 2016 06:59 AM

I can assure you that I am not that individual.

I’ll have to take your word for it. But you linked to him and claimed his argument was valid. That’s enough for me to dismiss almost anything you say in the future. Any long essay like that should be able to be summarized. I doubt you could do that. If it can’t be summarized, you should be able to pick out key points and provide additional background information and supporting evidence that would help me understand it. You can’t do that either.

You can search on Mozart Link posts and see where we ended with him. Once I found out he was MattMSV7 and had been posting his rants for years on forums all over, never accepting any feedback, and consistently altering his facts when it suited him, he quit posting.

I’‘m beginning to think Titanmachina IS Mozart Link. Titan. Has the same crazy ideas as Mozart Link—the same habit of saying they have nothing to live for without god and an afterlife. It seems too odd to be a coincidence.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 05 November 2016 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2015-12-29

I can assure you I’m not him. I don’t want to agree with him but so far nothing I have seen negates what has been said.

Posted: 05 November 2016 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  4314
Joined  2014-06-20
Titanomachina - 05 November 2016 01:37 PM

I can assure you I’m not him. I don’t want to agree with him but so far nothing I have seen negates what has been said.

For you. The atheists here see much that negates what he and you have said. But if you both think the same way,do keep on believing and not questionong that belief in any way. To do so will take away ypur seciurity blanket and none of us here watts to see either of you attempt suicide because you can’t find anything to replace theistic religion’s false promises with. So, please, keep on believing. We don’t want blood on our hands. As much as we’d like everyone to give up god and false promises, we’d rather see you gullible and alive than rational and dead.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 05 November 2016 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2015-12-29
LoisL - 05 November 2016 01:52 PM
Titanomachina - 05 November 2016 01:37 PM

For you. The atheists here see much that negates what he and you have said. But if you both think the same way,do keep on believing and not questionong that belief in any way. To do so will take away ypur seciurity blanket and none of us here watts to see either of you attempt suicide because you can’t find anything to replace theistic religion’s false promises with. So, please, keep on believing. We don’t want blood on our hands. As much as we’d like everyone to give up god and false promises, we’d rather see you gullible and alive than rational and dead.

I was referring to the above link honestly.

It’s not that I want to die, I don’t I really don’t. But every day I find it harder and harder to keep on going. I keep asking why I do it and get no answe and I don’t want the rest of whatever long my life is to just trudge through the day like this until sleep. People say question, but how and what? How do people go on without meaning? How do they face being just robots that act just to get pleasure (like pushing a button)? How can they read everything I have said and still think otherwise or even believe otherwise? What am I missing?

Posted: 05 November 2016 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2009-10-21

Do you like movies? Try “Hector and the search happiness”

Posted: 05 November 2016 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05
Lausten - 05 November 2016 04:09 PM

Do you like movies? Try “Hector and the search happiness”

I suggest Harold and Maude.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

3 of 24