No true relationship
Posted: 08 November 2016 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4216
Joined  2009-10-21

This morning I heard a pastor on a podcast say that if someone in a relationship refuses to admit that they could be wrong, then that relationship is essentially over. They may continue in some way, but it’s no longer truly a relationship. That’s not that simple of a statement, but it makes sense. Now, turn it around. It means if you are not listening to different points of view, if you aren’t trying to understand what others are saying, if you aren’t watching for their non-verbal cues of discomfort or frustration, if you are saying things like “that’s just what I believe” or “I don’t want to talk about it”, then you aren’t in relationship.

I’m not suggesting we should try to be in relationships with the whole world, but at least let’s start building something. Even if you vehemently disagree on something fundamental to your identity, there is most likely something you can find to agree on. We all need food, air and water, that’s a good place to start. Kittens, puppies, also good.

Posted: 08 November 2016 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

Music is good too.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 08 November 2016 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15
Lausten - 08 November 2016 10:07 AM

This morning I heard a pastor on a podcast say that if someone in a relationship refuses to admit that they could be wrong, then that relationship is essentially over. They may continue in some way, but it’s no longer truly a relationship. That’s not that simple of a statement, but it makes sense. Now, turn it around. It means if you are not listening to different points of view, if you aren’t trying to understand what others are saying, if you aren’t watching for their non-verbal cues of discomfort or frustration, if you are saying things like “that’s just what I believe” or “I don’t want to talk about it”, then you aren’t in relationship.

Well isn’t that the fundament problem of the moment.

We have half the people voting for someone who has absolutely no respect for honesty or telling the truth.
We have a religious faith-based community that feels fully justified ignoring fundamental Earth Facts.
We have a right-wing community who’s utterances are backed up by, for me, unimaginable certitude.

I know if you look you can find lefties as extreme and disconnected from serious science, but it’s not near the fundamental feature of the political landscape - the way it’s become with the Republican crowd.

The whole taking oneself so damned seriously.  What happened to a little self-deprecation?
Or how about the notion that we need the other’s understanding to help complete our own?

and so on and so forth . . .

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 09 November 2016 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2228
Joined  2013-06-01
citizenschallenge.pm - 08 November 2016 08:36 PM

We have half the people voting for someone who has absolutely no respect for honesty or telling the truth.
Yea, and she almost won.
We have a religious faith-based community that feels fully justified ignoring fundamental Earth Facts.
So, you are saying creation is not a true fact? God will take care of us.
We have a right-wing community who’s utterances are backed up by, for me, unimaginable certitude.
You could include the left wing pollsters too. 
I know if you look you can find lefties as extreme and disconnected from serious science, but it’s not near the fundamental feature of the political landscape - the way it’s become with the Republican crowd.
Give the hardworking man a break and a good paycheck and maybe he would have time for some serious science.  Na, most likely, more beer. 
The whole taking oneself so damned seriously.  What happened to a little self-deprecation?
Or how about the notion that we need the other’s understanding to help complete our own?
Already there. grin

and so on and so forth . . .

Posted: 09 November 2016 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
MikeYohe - 09 November 2016 07:36 PM

So, you are saying creation is not a true fact? God will take care of us. [/color]

And now your true stripes show. You are a creationist. That explains a lot about your incoherent posts over the years.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 10 November 2016 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4335
Joined  2014-06-20
DarronS - 09 November 2016 10:41 PM

So, you are saying creation is not a true fact? God will take care of us. [/color]

And now your true stripes show. You are a creationist. That explains a lot about your incoherent posts over the years.

Creationism is a godly IQ test.

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 10 November 2016 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2013-06-01

No, the incoherency is most likely from being in a hurry and bad communication skills.

Posted: 10 November 2016 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
MikeYohe - 10 November 2016 10:06 AM

No, the incoherency is most likely from being in a hurry and bad communication skills.

You got the “bad communication skills” part correct. Clarity is the writer’s responsibility.

Signature 

Posted: 10 November 2016 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2013-06-01
DarronS - 10 November 2016 10:10 AM
MikeYohe - 10 November 2016 10:06 AM

You got the “bad communication skills” part correct. Clarity is the writer’s responsibility.

Tell me something that I don’t already know. I’m no writer. May never develop the skills. Thank god for spell check. I am doing the best I can.

Posted: 10 November 2016 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4216
Joined  2009-10-21
MikeYohe - 10 November 2016 03:40 PM

Tell me something that I don’t already know.

Oh come on, that’s too easy.

Posted: 11 November 2016 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10

This seemed to start with relationships and ended ???

Relationships tend to start with accepting the fact someone is in our view and focus, in our party, on our board, or born in the same family.
This is acceptance. It contains the whole world seen on TV. Each of us accepts that. No talking to them is needed. No listening is required.
Just accepting them that way and this is lowest level (Except for those in jail who are not even accepted anymore or for the time being.)
That is Level one…usually the eye or sight level (unless blind)

Next is engagement with the mouth and ear. Talking and listening.
This level of relationship is sharing story and emotions. It is everything from very low level engagement of paying the server or saying hello to a neighbor.
But it goes all the way to “hey, I like the way you look and talk and I see some gleam in your widening eyes…wanna get outta here?”
Here, at engagement, we plumb emotions and stability, and feelings.

After engagement comes values. This is cognitive. This takes time and interaction and testing and dating (after we got outta here we met again…next day)
Are our values and priorities that drive our dealing with things in our life, money, other people, “one true superman”, or children, worth going out, hanging out, or even talking anymore?
Skipping this step, glossing over values on the way to some alter or “being an item” is a road to waste. But hey, if both have little value then there is little waste and the relationship can work.
You decide.

The final step to full relationship is building an estate together, especially persona as in family.

And it starts over.
Not Being wrong simply means you wrote one of the books of the Bible…..probably….The Gospel of Thomas. You see, the gospel of Thomas is not wrong….just not included anymore. And neither will you be. You don’t value relating to the physical world, or, you are emotionally immature if you are never wrong.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 24 November 2016 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

nice JS.  smile

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 25 November 2016 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  522
Joined  2011-09-13

I have a problem when any says a person is not a true “anything”.  Why I have a problem with this is when I hear it used often by people claiming to be religious when they say to another,“you are not a true Christian”, for example.  But when they make such an assertion it is always when another refuses to essentially believe exactly as the do.  If that is a correction definition of being a true anything, I am a big time failure of life.

Posted: 25 November 2016 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10
deros - 25 November 2016 02:52 PM

I have a problem when any says a person is not a true “anything”.  Why I have a problem with this is when I hear it used often by people claiming to be religious when they say to another,“you are not a true Christian”...

A true christian? Really you’re right, they do say that. How do we say…oxymoron. True christian is like a hot ice cream or Flat mountain or a free marxist. So, this is the truth “the truth about the truth is that it is not the truth”

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.