Greetings!
Posted: 07 March 2007 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

Hi. :D

You can all call me Elles.

I come from a middle school in Denver, Colorado.

Half the kids there don’t accept evolution, which is part of what prompted me to join CFI.

A lot of them vehemently bash evolution. The funny part is, we reccently started learning about it in Science, and it became clear to me that those same kids had a terrible understanding of it in the first place. Perhaps if I can open their minds… anyway…

I don’t know why, but I really feel like posting this little anecdote in my introduction. Maybe it’s to break the ice… but anyway…

Yesterday in Science we were making timelines of the rise of evolution. We were using this timeline on PBS, and it mentioned how ID started. I chuckled to myself when I realized that the being that intelligently designed life on Earth could have been an alien… and then I realized that the Christian god, if he/she exists [i:c5246d995d]is[/i:c5246d995d] an extraterrestrial.

1. If we accept the postulate given to me by my Christian Fundamentalist friends, then the Christian god created the Earth.

2. If we also accept the postulate given to me by dictionary.com, then an extraterrestrial is a being that exists or originated oustide of the Earth.

Now, since time is linnear, the Christian god could not have originated on the Earth if he created it. Therefore, the Christian god is an extraterrestrial.

When I said my reasoning outloud, I got this reaction from one of my fellow Christians:

"NO! Stop talking, ok? That’s just stupid. God is NOT an extraterrestrial. STOP TALKING!!!"

Anyway, that’s just an example of the pain I go through everyday… *sigh*

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 07 March 2007 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

That’s an example of something I learned in a psychology class about a half century ago - logic proof compartments.  The idea was that things we learn before we learn to reason are locked inside our heads but inaccessible to our logic.

Unfortunately, these kids were brain-washed to believe in the christian god and all your logic and clear reasoning is lost on them.  Sort of like the bumper sticker I saw a few years ago, “God said it, I believe it, that settles it!!!”

Anyway, welcome.  Glad to have you here, Logicisrefreshing.

Occam

Posted: 07 March 2007 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2007-02-17

I feel for you I lived in Colorado Springs for about 20yrs before I moved to Oregon.  And for some strange reason Colorado seems to be the epicenter of christian fundamentalist religion.

I feel you pain.

Signature 

http://www.drawingwithlight.smugmug.com

Posted: 07 March 2007 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

[quote author=“Carbon based”]I feel for you I lived in Colorado Springs for about 20yrs before I moved to Oregon.  And for some strange reason Colorado seems to be the epicenter of christian fundamentalist religion.

I feel you pain.

Hm… I thought it was like this everywhere…

Then again, Colorado got a D when the Fordham Foundation did their whole study on the evolution curriculums… But we kicked Kansas’ arse! raspberry

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 07 March 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2007-02-17

Colorado Springs is home to Focus on the Family and the New life church ala Ted Haggard.  Plus a bunch of small time out fits.  You can hardly swing a cat by the tail and not hit a fundie!

Signature 

http://www.drawingwithlight.smugmug.com

Posted: 07 March 2007 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

All I can say, Elles, is don’t give up.  You’ll find a much more rational atmosphere and reasonable people when you get to college.  And, if you make it to either the west coast or the more northern parts of the east coast you’ll find a different environment than you’re stuck in now.  So hang in there, and look forward to meeting people you can enjoy and relate to.

Occam

Posted: 08 March 2007 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-03-02

Yes, hang in there!

Occam is right, college will be the break you’ve been waiting for. 
I grew up in rural North Carolina (not a place I recommend) and
now attend NC State University.  I almost didn’t go to college because
I was so discouraged by grades K-12.  I’m very glad I did.  Even being a southern university, this has been a very openminded, rational, and creative environment.  One of my friends put it best:  the purpose of grade school is to rob you of your creativity, the purpose of college is to get it back.  So always remember that when dealing with idiots-in ten short years they’ll be flipping your burgers while you’ve moved on to bigger and better things.

Signature 

Seeking the mind with the mind-is this not the
greatest of all mistakes? 
Seng-Tsan

‹‹ Hello from Portland OR      Howdy Y’all ››