Another “proof” of “god?”
Posted: 03 January 2017 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2015-12-10

God is real, you can’t disprove that!
You can’t disprove what the bible says.

I can’t prove that you got up at 5A today, so you must be telling the truth when you say you did.
I can’t prove you did not eat batteries as a kid. So, if you say so, it must be true.

I can’t prove a woman named Mary was taken up off the earth without ever dying. But millions say she was, so it must be true.

I can’t prove a global flood did not ever occur. Since the bible says it did and billions believe it, then it happened.

I can’t prove billions of people are wrong so when they vote, they can silence me forever with legal murder in the name of their just holy god whom I can’t prove doesn’t exist.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 03 January 2017 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4256
Joined  2014-06-20
JSmith - 03 January 2017 09:35 AM

I can’t prove that you got up at 5A today, so you must be telling the truth when you say you did.
I can’t prove you did not eat batteries as a kid. So, if you say so, it must be true.

I can’t prove a woman named Mary was taken up off the earth without ever dying. But millions say she was, so it must be true.

I can’t prove a global flood did not ever occur. Since the bible says it did and billions believe it, then it happened.

I can’t prove billions of people are wrong so when they vote, they can silence me forever with legal murder in the name of their just holy god whom I can’t prove doesn’t exist.

Negatives can’t be proven, which is the very reason no one is required to prove someone’s claim is incorrect. The burden of proof is always on the person making the claim and never on the person(s) the claim is made to.

If you think you can prove a negative, prove that Zeus is not god. Then we’ll use the same method to prove that the biblical god is not god.

Before you try, you might try reading this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell’s_teapot

Signature 

[color=red“Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.”
― George Eliot, Silas Marner[/color]

Posted: 05 January 2017 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2007-10-12

etc., etc., etc.

Your post was sarcasm, correct?

Signature 

Of all religions the Christian is without doubt the one which should inspire tolerance most, although up to now the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men. -Voltaire

Posted: 06 January 2017 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-10-12

I’ll assume for the sake of discussion that you were serious about the allegations you made.

Nonsense.  Much of what is said of the bible can be disproven (see examples, below).

Nonsense.  Someone could say they ate batteries for breakfast and, whether you can prove it or not, the person could be lying.  By the same logic, I am God.  I said it and you cannot disprove it so by your reasoning, I am God.

Nonsense.  Millions of people thought the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around it (for it says so in the bible, for example).  Those millions (and the bible) have subsequently been proven to be wrong.

Nonsense.  Upping the ante from millions (previous statement) to billions proves nothing.  See above for examples of the bible already having been proven to be wrong.  If you would like further examples, please read “The Age of Reason” by Thomas Paine.

Huh???  I don’t even know what point this statement is trying to make.

Signature 

Of all religions the Christian is without doubt the one which should inspire tolerance most, although up to now the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men. -Voltaire

Posted: 06 January 2017 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
PaineMan - 05 January 2017 10:31 AM

etc., etc., etc.

The scary thing is that it isn’t sarcasm. I doubt he understands what sarcasm is.

Signature 

Posted: 07 January 2017 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-12

I doubt he understands what sarcasm is.

Evidently he has no grasp of critical thinking or logical reasoning either.  rolleyes

Signature 

Posted: 07 January 2017 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
PaineMan - 07 January 2017 08:36 AM

Evidently he has no grasp of critical thinking or logical reasoning either.  rolleyes

Yes, it goes together.

Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2017 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2015-12-10
PaineMan - 05 January 2017 10:31 AM

etc., etc., etc.

Yes, Thank you for your kinship and appreciation of nuance and subtlety.

Signature 

By expanding knowledge of the real, reduce the environmental footprint of of ignorance…in any and every way you most desire.

Posted: 08 January 2017 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2015-12-10
PaineMan - 06 January 2017 09:15 AM

I’ll assume for the sake of discussion that you were serious about the allegations you made.

Huh???  I don’t even know what point this statement is trying to make.

The point of the last statement is that it represents both a logical outcome of the premise” you can’t prove it doesn’t exist…therefore, If I can it does exists…it does.” Irrationality easily leads to arrogance and arrogance forms political parties to dominate and bully and ...as it this final form…kill.

Political and social power plays depend on propaganda. It is as true in academics (ideology and theology) but much less so in science. The less a group knows of this-world reality, the more propaganda they use and the more lethal force.

Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2017 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2015-12-10
PaineMan - 07 January 2017 08:36 AM

If you used words that meant something to you…you would provide evidence to frame your position of “evidently” not innuendo or assumption based on nothing but someone posting a set of arguments. While you may be right, you may be wrong and have no “evidence either way. Is this the best CFI informed persons can do?

Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2017 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2126
Joined  2013-06-01

If you want a good argument, then ask a reasonable question. Why would anyone want to waste time on stupid stuff?

For example.
God. A word that means different things to different people. God is real as a belief. Just as Santa is. But yes, it can be proved what god is at different times in history.

Your question is not about poof of God but a point about “belief”.
You can’t prove to me that there are not three suns in the sky right now if I want to use the belief angle.
So, the question becomes, why is mankind so willing to accept GOD when there is no proof?

And that question has not been answered. Let me try and ask your question in a different way.

Question.

It is understood that modern man has been around for 200,000 years. And we know that religion with heaven, Holy Spirit and after life have been around for 100,000 years. But God has only been around for around 10,000 years. Stories passed down in past history tells us that man created (bred) man that was more adaptable for heavy lifting and farming. Darwin and the science of domestication of animals also describe the changes to animals that are bred for different reasons. Like the dogs for example. One side effect can be white or lighter colored skin. Therefore the question could be. Science shows that white skinned people like we have today just suddenly appeared 12,000 years ago in the area that domescation was taking place. Then is it possible that a gene is behind the belief without proof thinking became stronger in the new breeds and required a god? If that is the case then arguing against “thinking without proof” is a total waste of time. We need to be talking about the timeline and changes to the human genes.  There are two major Gneisses stories from the past, one that says 6 different types of humans were created and another that says twelve different types of humans were created.

Posted: 08 January 2017 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2014-06-20
MikeYohe - 08 January 2017 11:11 AM

If you want a good argument, then ask a reasonable question. Why would anyone want to waste time on stupid stuff?

For example.
God. A word that means different things to different people. God is real as a belief. Just as Santa is. But yes, it can be proved what god is at different times in history.

Your question is not about poof of God but a point about “belief”.
You can’t prove to me that there are not three suns in the sky right now if I want to use the belief angle.
So, the question becomes, why is mankind so willing to accept GOD when there is no proof?

And that question has not been answered. Let me try and ask your question in a different way.

Question.

It is understood that modern man has been around for 200,000 years. And we know that religion with heaven, Holy Spirit and after life have been around for 100,000 years. But God has only been around for around 10,000 years. Stories passed down in past history tells us that man created (bred) man that was more adaptable for heavy lifting and farming. Darwin and the science of domestication of animals also describe the changes to animals that are bred for different reasons. Like the dogs for example. One side effect can be white or lighter colored skin. Therefore the question could be. Science shows that white skinned people like we have today just suddenly appeared 12,000 years ago in the area that domescation was taking place. Then is it possible that a gene is behind the belief without proof thinking became stronger in the new breeds and required a god? If that is the case then arguing against “thinking without proof” is a total waste of time. We need to be talking about the timeline and changes to the human genes.  There are two major Gneisses stories from the past, one that says 6 different types of humans were created and another that says twelve different types of humans were created.

Religion and ideas of god began with the first humans. It doesn’t matter how long an idea has been around. If there is no evidence that it’s true, it’s probably false. Argumentum ad populum.

Signature